Human Clippers Versus Dog Clippers?

BT-Argo

Hi All

Just wondering what is the difference between say a very good pair of Wahl human clippers VERSUS dog clippers?

Are they real differences and can it harm a dog?

And if you are to buy dog clippers would you ask your groomer what they recommend? or the breeder?

Thanks

Curious

Clippers made for cutting human hair aren't designed to deal with the density of coat that you often find on dogs, they're just not up to the job. I use Oster clippers, but there are many alternatives, I suggest that you ask your breeder :cry:

I have lost count of the number of dogs brought to me with a bald stripe down the back where the husband decided to give the dog a summer haircut only to end up with his clippers packing up.

I've used Osters for many years and been very happy with them.

Hi All

Thanks for your replies. I was planning on taking my puppy to a groomer when i get him... but i was curious as to the difference cause in the future i would liek to trim him also thats why i thought id ask from now.

I actually saw some pet ANDIS cliipers at BIG W but will get Wahl or Osters when time comes and what the groomer recommends.

Thanks everyone

Curious.

Hi Curious,

Don't buy Oster as these clipper are not favoured by groomers as they overheat and use outdated motor technology. The most popular clipper used by groomers throughout Australia is the Wahl KM2. Andis AGC2 are also a good clipper although they are slightly more expensive than the Wahl.

Hi Curious,

Don't buy Oster as these clipper are not favoured by groomers as they overheat and use outdated motor technology. The most popular clipper used by groomers throughout Australia is the Wahl KM2. Andis AGC2 are also a good clipper although they are slightly more expensive than the Wahl.

Sorry but this groomer would use nothing but Oster. Thats crap. I really like them and still find that wahl breaks down alot quicker. The ones I have have lasted me for such a long time. Never have let me down.

Curious, please dont try and clip yourself though, its not that easy and if you nick or cut the pup it will be a bugger to do with anyone. And you wont know how to handle a puppy thats frightened of the noise. If you want to try atleast wait till puppy is use to it.

Hi Curious,

Sorry but this groomer would use nothing but Oster. Thats crap. I really like them and still find that wahl breaks down alot quicker. The ones I have have lasted me for such a long time. Never have let me down.

Curious, please dont try and clip yourself though, its not that easy and if you nick or cut the pup it will be a bugger to do with anyone. And you wont know how to handle a puppy thats frightened of the noise. If you want to try atleast wait till puppy is use to it.

I am in the business of repairing clippers and dryers and have encouraged clients to sell their Osters and buy a more modern designed clipper. After they use a Wahl or Andis they thank me for the advice as they find the task of clipping so much easier. I do service work for groomers throughout Australia and rarely encounter one using an Oster. The majority of Oster users are not professionals and are persuaded by the name. I welcome anyone to ring around the grooming salons to find out what clipper they are using. If you think it is Oster then you will be suprised.

Yep, had to have the motor replaced in My Km-1 with minimal use (one standard pet and one standard show dog) . However, worked in a grooming salon that used Oster, Whal, laube and Andis. I invariabley picked up the Whals - Osters got too hot and Andis vibrated too much. That was a while ago and they all have new models out. Poodle 3081 - I think you will find a lot of "poodle people" who have been in dogs forever use Osters - they were the "only" clipper to buy many years ago and they last forever - open a poodle book to the grooming section and there they are. As long as you buy a clipper designed for proffessional use you can't go wrong - the rest is personal preference.

:rofl: Poodle3081 - I'm having trouble sourcing a replacement drive cover for my AGC2 clippers. I prefer racine in colour but the black will do if that is all I can get. Can you help?

BTW. I did a TAFE grooming course last year. The teacher was recommending Osters or Wahl and there were only osters for the students use.

The majority of Oster users are not professionals and are persuaded by the name.

Well I've been clipping show dogs for over 30 years so I'd count myself as a professional. I've always used Osters, I agree that they tend to get hot, but they last very well and I've never had a problem with them. I have only replaced my clippers once and my first Oster clippers lasted for 25 years.

I am in the business of repairing clippers and dryers and have encouraged clients to sell their Osters and buy a more modern designed clipper. After they use a Wahl or Andis they thank me for the advice as they find the task of clipping so much easier. I do service work for groomers throughout Australia and rarely encounter one using an Oster. The majority of Oster users are not professionals and are persuaded by the name. I welcome anyone to ring around the grooming salons to find out what clipper they are using. If you think it is Oster then you will be suprised.

I am a groomer, I am a professional and I wouldnt change.

I have friends down here that have tried the wahl, and said they were happy for a year or so and *poof* back to oster.

The majority of Oster users are not professionals and are persuaded by the name.

Well I've been clipping show dogs for over 30 years so I'd count myself as a professional. I've always used Osters, I agree that they tend to get hot, but they last very well and I've never had a problem with them. I have only replaced my clippers once and my first Oster clippers lasted for 25 years.

Same here, my mother was a showy/groomer for others also, she had hers 25 yrs also. Then she died, I still have them and she has been dead 8 yrs. I have 2 sets of Oster here, I love em and wouldnt consider replacing them.

Human clippers are useless for fur on poodles, for example.

I cut my son's hair with cheap clippers (no problem), but they do about 2cm worth of not-very-long poodle hair. Badly.

The cheap pet clippers aren't much better.

Decent pet clippers are about $200+

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Hi All

Once again thanks for replies

Poodle Wrangler.. you answered the question in responce to poodles :laugh:

Thanks for that....

I think when time comes to get the puppy i will stick to a groomer for the first few years :rofl: and only do simple home grooming . brushing and trimming...

The way i think of it is a doggy's day out :rofl: LOL...

Hi All

Just wondering what is the difference between say a very good pair of Wahl human clippers VERSUS dog clippers?

Are they real differences and can it harm a dog?

And if you are to buy dog clippers would you ask your groomer what they recommend? or the breeder?

Thanks

Curious

Hi there, the only difference between a human set of clippers is the guy that sharpened the blade, and the microns of the fur/hair, you need the right tension on the blade, and the blade has to be sharpened for that particular fur or hair , (Garry) ClipperWorld knows how to do it, not many sharpeners do, if you send your blade to a sharpener tell the sharpener what you are going to use the blade for, and they will compensate for it, most blades on human clippers were only ever sharpened by a kid (cheap labour) , that is why they are cheap to buy, animal blades don't work if they are not sharpened by someone experienced for animal fur,nicestman77.