Tick Like Mole Growth

Guest Pixel

Saw a little black dot on pooches leg the other week and originally thought it was a tick but on further inspection found it to just be a type of mole as the whole surface area was attached to the other skin (no burrowed head).

It has increasingly gotten bigger and just noticed it today and it is HUGE!!!!

Am I kidding myself? Is it a tick? (There is no borrowed head and it sits off the skin like a mole) I have never seen a tick on a creature before.

Not after something to replace a vet, but if it is somethin harmless then I can figure out what to do. If not we will be taking her to the vet asap, don't worry about that

Any ideas? :laugh:

Doesn't look like a tick to me... they are glossier after they have gorged themselves on loads of blood, you would be able to see their little legs around the head and redness on your dog where it has latched on (though, that may be the case with a mole if you've been sussing it out)

We get quite a few around here. Some aren't the paralysis type so there may nit be sumptoms like dizziness or paralysis involved.

That looks like a mole to me.... but I'll do that same old chant... If in doubt, see a vet :laugh:

Ticks have legs. If it has been on the dog for a month, I don't think it is a tick.

If it was on my dog, I would go directly to the vet, and get it checked out. It may be one of those funny blood filled black things they get sometimes, but anything that looks like that, and grows at such a rate, is IMHO worth a vet visit.

It may be one of those funny blood filled black things they get sometimes,

What are 'those' things? I have never heard of anything like it before

Sorry, Pixel, my brain left the building this afternoon, and I cannot think what they are called - but they are black lumps, like your photo, difficult to remove or break, and they are filled with blood. They DO have a name, and they are not a problem. That is what it looks like - however, I would still go to the vet. Make sure he aspirates it.

Incidentally, ticks have legs, and if you suspect a tick, get a magnifying glass and check it out for legs!!

hrm....too young for lumps and bumps yet

Unlikely, but not impossible. Unfortunately, a lot of lumps look and feel like other varieties of lump - some are just harmless things dogs get, and some are horrible nasties. Often the vet can't tell the difference either, so it's worth checking out.

There are lumps which are easy to identify as x or y - but that one is a bit of a poser. :laugh:

My dogs have some of those aswell its where they have had bites and they just appear, heres one on my dogs ear. theres another one on his shoulder but its a bit more scarlike.

mydog048yd6.jpg

mydog049ie2.jpg

I think they are just like a skin tag where bacteria has gotten in, no vets said anything to me about it when they have a check up.

Edited by s~M~s

Sorry, Pixel, my brain left the building this afternoon, and I cannot think what they are called - but they are black lumps, like your photo, difficult to remove or break, and they are filled with blood. They DO have a name, and they are not a problem. That is what it looks like - however, I would still go to the vet. Make sure he aspirates it.

That is exactly what it is. It bleeds like the clappers. We took her to the vet yesterday and got a dopey overseas vet (no offense to those trained or from overseas but we have had issues with her before). She had absolutely no idea what it was and suggested we get it removed ($300ish :thumbsup:) She tried to take some of it and oput it on a slide but all she said she saw was blood and doesn't know if she got any of the 'mass'. She said she would call us next week and let us know.

I will google around to see if I can find out what they are. Don't really want to spend $300 on something that isn't needed.

I have never heard of warts on dogs. Could be.

I have googled and wish I didn't.

Found these

http://silenceisdefeat.org/~mindful/data/06450645.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1449

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemangiosarcoma

Says it is a dermal Hemangiosarcoma and Pit bull, boxer, and German shepherd dog affected more commonly than other breeds :hug:

She couldn't find anything conclusive from the slide but we have decided due to the speed of which it is growing to get it cut out. She goes in in two weeks (They can't get her in earlier)

If it's full of blood, it is one of those doohickeys --- have had a few, and if you do manage to break them, they are full of dark thick blood.

But, if it was my dog, I'd get it removed, and I'd maybe want a new switched on vet too!!

• 1 month later...