Getting Dog Used To Sleeping In Kennel

Andoria1

I have tried everything i can possibly think of to get my dog to use the kennel. But for some reason he just simply does not like it.

I have tried putting treats inside the kennel, putting a cloth or sheets that i have used in the kennel, have tried putting his toys in the kennel. I was even thinking of camping outside with the dog near his kennel :rolleyes:

I also tried to teach him "In" and point to the kennel and once he goes inside i say "good boy" but straight away he runs out of the kennel, he dosent like to stay in the kennel longer than 5 seconds.

Last night is was raining heavily and we have a tarp covering his kennel. But due to the heavy rain the grass underneath it, and all of his blankets that he likes to sleep on was all soaking wet. So this poor dog decided to stay under the tarp and sleep infront of the kennel getting soaked even though he can walk inside the kennel and stay dry. :laugh:

How do i teach this little boy that his kennel is for his sleeping and shelter.

Is the kennel close to the house? Dogs like to be close to their owners, he's also more likely to use it if he can see you so placing it on a veranda next to a french window or near the door to the house may help. However some dogs just won't use kennels.

My partner told me to wear an old shirt that I did not want anymore for a day and play with my boy wearing it so it has your smell and puppy's smell on it and then put it in the kennel when you are going to leave him to sleep outside for the night. My Benson is 9kw and 2 days old today and he has slept outside now in his kennel for 7 nights!

Plus near the door as Miranda said!

Good luck!!! :rolleyes:

post-16055-1177394342_thumb.jpg

well the kennel is right in front of the back yard door. And i have used a shirt that i have worn. Its one of those plastic kennels and its big enough that he can walk in and curl into a little ball if he does go in it.

I even put towels that he lies on during the day time. But soon as he see the towels in the kennel he takes the towels out. Anything i put in there like toys, or treats or cloth he takes it out. As if hes saying "i like them better on the gound in the dirt" lol

I just dont know how to make him stay there at night times. And i dont want to resort to him being locked in it.

Not all dogs are kennel dogs & some of the kennels are just not for all dogs.Some smell like plastic,when its raining they can be very noisey,they can be airless & some dogs feel claustraphobic in them.

Simply put i would also be providing more stable type of shelter just look at as if you where camping & your little tent got flooded it was cold,damp & unpleasant.

I wouldnt be locking a dog into something it doesnt accept unless it was a crate in the house for night time sleeping.

So im presuming the kennel is out in the elements except for the tarp over the top??

There isnt a patio,garage or another area the kennel can be placed thats more weather friendly ??

Otherwise i would be making a more suitable shelter wher he can be out of the elements & can sleep on a trampoline bed or go into the kennel.

My parents had a dog that refused to go into a kennel. Sh slept on the backdoor step, which while covered was open to the elements and would get wet in driving rain. My father ( a self professed non animal person) decided that Miranda needed protection and literally built a kennel around her.

He started with her bed on the base (no walls), and once she was sleeping there happily started to build the walls one layer of boards at a time. Once she had accepted the walls at a particular height he added a board. Took a bit of time but by the time he had the walls built to roof level Miranda was happily going in. She didn't even notice when the roof went on. He did leave a large door.

This is the man who would also be seen scratching the cat behind the ears when he thought no one was looking :rolleyes:

Edited by Janba

I crate my 10mth dog using a puppy pen at night, during the day she preferred to sleep in the yard. But since last month I've discovered she'd go into the pen often to chill and have some privacy, and also jumping straight into it for bedtime without me asking. That was when I realised she is ready for a kennel. I think sometimes given time your dog would tell you when he/she is ready for one. Then some dogs never liked kennels their whole life.

ok new update !! My dog started to use his kennel !!! The kennel used to be facing the backdoor of my house so that my dog could see us in the house when hes in his kennel (undercover). So because it was rainning alot last week i decided to move the kennel around so that it is near the back door again but this time it is facing the backyard. Even though its under the same tarp cover.

I noticed because i did this, my dog uses kennel now. I think he felt that he couldnt keep a watch on the backyard when he was facing the back door.

So now he has full view of the backyard to keep an eye on it from his kennel. LOL Hes a werid one this dog lol

Thats awesome news! I got Bruno to start using his kennel by letting him watch me throw a treat to the back of the kennel so he had to enter it to retrieve. This eliminated his fear of the new big dark cave! The I put a bone in there and he couldnt be bothered dragging it out, so sat in the kennel to eat it. Now he's in there a fair bit.

• 2 weeks later...
well the kennel is right in front of the back yard door. And i have used a shirt that i have worn. Its one of those plastic kennels and its big enough that he can walk in and curl into a little ball if he does go in it.

I even put towels that he lies on during the day time. But soon as he see the towels in the kennel he takes the towels out. Anything i put in there like toys, or treats or cloth he takes it out. As if hes saying "i like them better on the gound in the dirt" lol

I just dont know how to make him stay there at night times. And i dont want to resort to him being locked in it.

My first dog would not go in his kennel for two reasons, the kennel was too big and it was sitting on the corner of the deck. He hated both. We then made the kennel smaller, so he could stand up and turn around in it and we put it right on the porch at the front door. Then he loved it. The position of the kennel is imparative. Dogs like to be where they feel they can see the owner or are in front of a door you frequently use. Old clothes are really good too. Just spend some time watching were your dog likes to lay and put the kennel there. My new puppy did not go in his kennel in the beginning or only shortly. I put an old t-shirt of mine in it and he now is in there all the time, unless he is too hot. Good luck!