Sign in to follow this  
Snap

All Things Whippet!

7,601 posts in this topic

Hi Whippet Lovers,

I was hoping to get some advice on what this lovely breed is like at home as a pet. I'm enquiring on behalf of my mother who is 62 years old and has previously owned a Standard Poodle and is now starting to look into her next dog however, this won't be for another 12 months or so. I'm currently staying at home with her with my 8 month old Hungarian Vizsla who she loves but would never own herself as they are way to boisterous for her laugh.gif. She is just doing research to find a suitable breed and I mentioned a whippet would probably have all the traits she looks for… she would like a medium sized dog, quiet, clean (no drool etc), low shedding, minimal dog odour and a dog which is not going to be too much for her to 'handle'… She has considered getting another poodle but not a Standard due to the grooming and risk of bloat… I just encouraged her to look at some short haired breeds with single coats as generally shedding is very minimal and you don't have the coat maintenance. She has read the whippet was bred with a terrier originally and was concerned it might have terrier traits such as barking, chewing and digging… is this true? The whippets I have met are the opposite… The other concern she had was not letting them off the lead due to recall - I imagine this all comes down to training… I have seen them off leash at the beach.

Sorry for the long winded post - I just thought I would ask and get your opinions on whether this might be a good breed for her. Thank you.

meggie   

Well, I'm not so young either and I think one of the best things I did was get my whippet, Twiggy, instead of another Stafford. She is now three. I have acquired another one since, a rescue boy, who is much quieter but also great company.

I'd had very little to do with the breed before hand, so can really only speak about mine. I think they're great house dogs & great companions, no doggy smell, minimal shedding (though really short hairs are the devil to remove) & not generally noisy. 30 min. daily walk fine by them, though with the meet & greets it can take longer.

They don't dig up the garden, though Twig did try to dig a hole under the fence once when she was young, so the little yappy over the fence could come & play. Now she has Sam, she's happy to play with him.

Little bit of chewing when she was a pup. I lost three remotes & one pair of glasses to Twig before I learnt not to leave them on the coffee table. Now she leaves them alone. Prefers a carrot. Certainly not as bad as the Staffords were.

Sam's recall is great, though Twig is a little inclined to think about it before she comes. Still, I don't let them off lead as our local dog parks aren't fenced unfortunately, so they get their free runs at a friend's place. And they have their own race track round the back yard.

They both like to be close to me. Sam is the Velcro boy who follows me in & out of the house. Twig is more independent, though every so often she will pop her head in to check what I'm up to before she goes back to snooze in the sun.

She believes in sharing the couch & the bed. Sam (who was an outdoor dog before) is happy to sleep in his beanbag with his blankie. They both use the dog door.

If I ever do get another dog, it will definitely be another whippet.

Bestie got his puppy last night - thank you so much murve for making his first puppy experience so excellent! We're sooo in love with Arrow. SERIOUSLY LOOK AT HIM HE'S SO BEAUTIFUL. He's such a snuggle bum and so calm for such a young dog - unlike my cray cray Papillon! Can't wait to start showing him :D

post-48588-0-95447600-1368247449_thumb.jpg

He's a cutey.

Why is it that every time I choose to have a breed whether horse or dog there is always much more to do in other states :D

Well, I'm not so young either and I think one of the best things I did was get my whippet, Twiggy, instead of another Stafford. She is now three. I have acquired another one since, a rescue boy, who is much quieter but also great company.

I'd had very little to do with the breed before hand, so can really only speak about mine. I think they're great house dogs & great companions, no doggy smell, minimal shedding (though really short hairs are the devil to remove) & not generally noisy. 30 min. daily walk fine by them, though with the meet & greets it can take longer.

They don't dig up the garden, though Twig did try to dig a hole under the fence once when she was young, so the little yappy over the fence could come & play. Now she has Sam, she's happy to play with him.

Little bit of chewing when she was a pup. I lost three remotes & one pair of glasses to Twig before I learnt not to leave them on the coffee table. Now she leaves them alone. Prefers a carrot. Certainly not as bad as the Staffords were.

Sam's recall is great, though Twig is a little inclined to think about it before she comes. Still, I don't let them off lead as our local dog parks aren't fenced unfortunately, so they get their free runs at a friend's place. And they have their own race track round the back yard.

They both like to be close to me. Sam is the Velcro boy who follows me in & out of the house. Twig is more independent, though every so often she will pop her head in to check what I'm up to before she goes back to snooze in the sun.

She believes in sharing the couch & the bed. Sam (who was an outdoor dog before) is happy to sleep in his beanbag with his blankie. They both use the dog door.

If I ever do get another dog, it will definitely be another whippet.

Thanks Meggie! This is how I imagined them to be as pets. I have a few friends interstate with whippets so have been chatting to them about the breed however, she will need meet with some breeders and spend more time with the breed before making a decision. I think a whippet would fit into her lifestyle well and she absolutely adores dogs so she could definitely provide a very loving home where a whippet would always be an inside dog, receive loads of cuddles, toys, attention, walks to the beach and most of all love. I think it would be between a whippet or Iggie… she likes greyhounds too but possibly a bit big and concerns of bloat. Can anyone recommend any good breeders in Qld or even interstate as a good starting point?

What do people tend to feed their whippets?

I know that sort of sounds like 'urr dog food'. Just starting to look at what is out there at present, I've been told Blackhawk is really good.

Kirislin   

I cook for my whippets, a mix of chicken and ox cheek with veggies. They seem to do well on it. They get a small amount of Bonnie working dog in the morning, probably about 1/4 cup for the girls and 1/2 cup for the boys.

What do people tend to feed their whippets?

I know that sort of sounds like 'urr dog food'. Just starting to look at what is out there at present, I've been told Blackhawk is really good.

Royal Canin Medium Junior (for the higher fat content) for the younger adults. I supplement with different kinds of mince and tuna. They also get raw meaty bones - mostly chicken wings.

One of mine wouldn't touch Blackhawk and recent reports indicate it's not the quality it used to be.

I also hear good things about the Natures Domain range (rebranded Taste of the Wild) from Costco.

OSoSwift   

Mine are on Black Hawk - they love it and I have had no issues with it - and also get raw roo tails, raw Rabbit and the odd bit of Natures gift Tinned food but since the label has changed I am not as happy with it, they are now also getting some VAN with roo.

Hello team .... Is some here the owner of whippet wear? Or know who is? I've just put an order in and need to change the address .

Ta

Kirislin   

Hello team .... Is some here the owner of whippet wear? Or know who is? I've just put an order in and need to change the address .

Ta

Her name's Melle Whiting and I no longer have her phone number, you need to contact her via her email address on the site. There would be a few people here who know her, Sarsanet might have her number.

Kirislin   

I managed to get a group shot of most of the people and whippets who came to our fun day today. A few managed to not get in the photo, but this is almost all of us.

8754000034_3e800d394d_z.jpg

IMG_4797dpptcr by kirislin, on Flickr

iggy mum   

Great photo, so glad everyone had a fun day - wish I could've been there, next time for sure!!!

Beltar   

Terrific photo Kirislin, glad you had a good day, was away on holidays, look forward to seeing you all next time :)