Sign in to follow this  
Snap

All Things Whippet!

7,601 posts in this topic

At what age did your senior whippet start to act really old?

Emma has just turned 13. She's blind (double lens lux and PRA) and is losing her hearing. Since late last year I've noticed that she's really slowing down on her walks. The enthusiasm is still there. She'll drag me out the door. But after about 100 metres, she slows right down and won't go over a slow trot. She's not panting and her breathing is not laboured. She just walks like my 89 year old father! SLOW but steady. Is this normal?

Emma is on meloxicam for a sore back, which I think is doing OK as she will roll on her back and fling herself around when she finds the appropriate piece of grass, particularly if there's roo-poo on it! She had a full blood panel about 8 months ago after a seizure and everything was fine. When I take her to the vet he always says her heart is strong.

I've never had an old dog before so perhaps this is just a natural part of aging.

She's still very happy, eats like a horse and has a lot of enthusiasm for life so I'm not concerned in that regard.

Your experiences with an aging whippet would be appreciated!

there's a poor old Whippet girl in Renbury Pound in NSW.

She's black and white and 9 yrs of age. I've alerted Whippet Rescue.

She's not in good condition, all bones sticking out and something not right with her mouth, she'd be cold at night/morning times ....

Hoping someone can help her. We at Iggy Rescue are not able to take Whippets this year sadly.

Tatelina   

Saw a cute, thin, leggy little thing with a shiney dark blueish coat running through the dog park on the way home yesterday that looked like a whippet, and I couldn't help but notice it's gait was just like a horse...did a little rolling canter, and then trotted just like a horse, even lifting up it's 2 front paws quite high. Looked super cute and none of the other dogs ran like that.

Is that a whippet trait? Or was it just a fluke?

Tatelina   

Oh! Just realised it might have been an Italian Greyhound...whoops!

What in the what-what! If a Whippet is a derivative from the Greyhound, than why was it called a Whippet, and the OTHER breed was called an Italian Greyhound? Shouldn't the "mini-greyhound" be named something that's related to greyhound? :laugh: http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/whats-difference-between-italian-greyhound-and-whippet/44977

(Pardon me if you whippet lovers have had this conversation many, many times over already).

Edited by Tatelina

Kirislin   

by its action it sounds more like an Italian greyhound, they are supposed to have a high stepping flamboyant action whereas a whippet should be more of a daisy cutter action.

Edited by Kirislin

Kirislin   

bingo! :thumbsup: that's what I thought too. I've got both here and they're all lovely to watch in action.

Kirislin   

Whippet Fun Day is coming up soon. We alternate our days to give more people a chance to attend. The next one falls on a Sunday. So come along and be awed by your fabulous couch potatos alter ego. https://www.facebook.com/events/511994358913245/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

To whet your appetite, here's some photos from past events.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yarra-Valley-Whippet-Social-Racing-Club/172335819461281?sk=photos_albums

Edited by Kirislin

Tatelina   

bingo! :thumbsup: that's what I thought too. I've got both here and they're all lovely to watch in action.

Well there you go! :)

Sash   

On the topic of whippet coats, how did you all find it fitting your young whippets with coats?

Astro is approaching 6 months old and already weighs almost 11kg with a back length of 19 inches and a waist of 16.5 inches. That seems to already place him fairly squarely as a mid sized whippet with most whippet coat websites I've seen.

As it's starting to get chilly in the mornings, I'd like to get him a coat but it's hard to know what size he'll be in the coming months and he seems to been too large for the pup sized coats already.

Do whippets tend to grow a lot between say 6 and 12 months of age in your experience?

Kirislin   

These beautiful whippets are in private rescue and it's preferred they be homed together. They are such great mates. I'm used to seeing whippet run at full pelt, but these two still took my breath away.

This is the girl Azzi.

14137892971_ed245760ef_c.jpg

and her brother Dash

14141434064_21e4d10ba9_c.jpg

They do everything together

14118024606_50ec7c224a_c.jpg

13954531737_e866066838_c.jpg

To see more photos of them please look here.

Edited by Kirislin

On the topic of whippet coats, how did you all find it fitting your young whippets with coats?

Astro is approaching 6 months old and already weighs almost 11kg with a back length of 19 inches and a waist of 16.5 inches. That seems to already place him fairly squarely as a mid sized whippet with most whippet coat websites I've seen.

As it's starting to get chilly in the mornings, I'd like to get him a coat but it's hard to know what size he'll be in the coming months and he seems to been too large for the pup sized coats already.

Do whippets tend to grow a lot between say 6 and 12 months of age in your experience?

Hi Sash

Obie's breeder and others have said to me that they are around 95% grown by around eight months to nine months and this was true for Obie.

I got Obie's coat from Juddabug about six weeks ago ready for winter. I first contacted her when he was six months old and she suggested I use the cheap coats you get at markets and things until he was about eight months or so and then we would be able to go into an adult coat. The Juddabug coats are lovely, I love Obie's and you get to choose the inner and outer colours etc and have your dogs name embroidered if you like. I found the coat to be very easy fitting, I gave Meagan his measurements, I think base of neck to top of tail and around his rib cage behind his elbows. Her coats are fairly giving in fit which is lucky as I got Obie's a little big, my fault for poor measuring, but due to the style of her coats it didn't matter.

If you google Juddabug and WhippetWear you will find heaps of info on those two. Their Facebook pages are handy for seeing styles and colours and coats on real dogs.

Kirislin   

Whippet Fun day tomorrow at Wandin East reserve. Bring warm clothes for you and your dogs and an intrepid spirit.

Here's the link to the facebook events page, which gives details of when and where.

My link

Edited by Kirislin

Kirislin   

geeze this thread's gone quiet, I wonder if anyone will see that our next Whippet Fun Day, (not from the previous post, that was last months,) is coming up this Saturday June 21st. We're trying something new this time too, we will be having individual training runs for newcomers and those who are a bit confused about just what they're supposed to be chasing. Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1400732243517875/

Gorgeous photos Kirislin!!! I love seeing just how athletic whippies can be -- the sheer amount of spinal flexibility always blows my mind. It's really amazing how much they're able to tuck their back legs right up underneath mid stride. They go from being almost fully straight and stretched out to an almost upside 'U' shape.

Kirislin   

Gorgeous photos Kirislin!!! I love seeing just how athletic whippies can be -- the sheer amount of spinal flexibility always blows my mind. It's really amazing how much they're able to tuck their back legs right up underneath mid stride. They go from being almost fully straight and stretched out to an almost upside 'U' shape.

Yeah I know, they're amazing, and I never tire of watching them.