My Baby's Gone, At Peace.

Gordie

My great dane boy, Gordie passed away on Saturday night. He died peacefully in his sleep. He's had Wobbler's for about 6 months but I'm not sure if it was from the Wobbler's or not.

He had had an episode on the Monday prior, when I went down to his kennel and he couldn't move. My father thought it was a snake bite and we rushed him to the vets. They ruled out snake bite and thought it was botulism. He stayed overnight Monday on a drip and managed to pull through the next day. However, they were not sure what had happened as his bowel movements were normal, which they wouldn't have been if it was botulism.

I brought him home on Tuesday night and took the week off work to spend some quality time with him. On Saturday I had to return to work and he passed away that night. I think perhaps he was meant to go before, but stayed to say goodbye.

Gordie was very special to me and everyone he came in contact with. He was a beautiful, loyal and loving companion and I will miss him very deeply. I feel like he has been in my life a lot longer than he was.

I think he knew it was his time to go. His aggression had got out of control and the hormones and pain killers I had given him in an attempt to calm him had not had the desired effect. I thought they may of, as it was just me and him for a couple of days, but he almost bit my mum's arm off when she went to pat him on the Friday, and he had never been aggressive toward her before then.

I had begun to start thinking about the possibility of euthanising him, which i had never even entertained before. I thought that he was beginning to become a dog that I knew he didn't want to be. He was always fine with me, but the Gordie I saw when he was vicous towards others was not the same as the one who loved me. He hadn't been able to walk properly since November. But this attitude scared me a lot more than that. I had hope that he could walk again. I had begun to lose hope that his aggression could ever be controlled.

Something my friend said to me afterward that really helped was "if you can take anything good out of this, at least he chose to let go and you didn't have to make that decision for him". I think that this is true. Gordie knew I probably wouldn't be able to make that choice, so he made it.

I love him so much, I always will. I believe he read my thoughts and saw right through me all the time. He was a very intuitive dog who always seemed to know what to do. Even as a puppy, he was the most well behaved puppy imaginable!

My doggy soulmate, Gordie (aka Boofhead)

Rest In Peace.

24Nov-1.jpg

i'm so sorry for your loss.

he looked a beautiful boy

think of the happy memories that you had together

RIP Gordie, run free of pain at Rainbow Bridge

I am truly sorry for your loss, my German Shepherd passed away on Saturday also, the worst part was I was not there to say goodbye, I was told she waited by my car, they say to say goodbye, but I feel it was for help.. Besides some arthritis that was being treated, she was in great health as far as I know.. I think I could have helped but more so I wish I had the opportunity to say goodbye and feel her beautiful coat against my skin one last time. If not that I wish I could have buried her myself, it was something I promised to do along time ago. They say mans best friend, even though they only live a quarter of our lifespan.

I am happy that you had the chance to say goodbye and I hope that they crossed the bridge together, they look like they would have been pretty good friends.