Dr Bruce's Vets All Natural Complete Mix

Hi.

I was recently given a sample of Dr Bruce's Vets All Natural Complete Mix to try. My dogs absolutely love it and I thought I might try it for a while, it is a natural diet but simpler that feeding barf.

Has anyone used it and what did you think?

This is a link to the website if anyone is wondering what food I am referring to http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.html

how does it work? you just throw in mince? do they tell you what amount to add to make it balance? I'm looking at weaning off kibble slowly, am already cutting down now and adding more fresh foods, safer this way.

Russkie, how's the poo like? (am always curious :thumbsup: )

Edited by flycow

I use it and really like it.

ETA: It's the only thing I can feed my dogs without them putting on weight. They are a very good weight at present and very healthy. Probably would do well on BARF also, but VAN is much more convenient for me to use.

Katie

Edited by BarneyMacRosie

how does it work? you just throw in mince?

You mix it with equal parts water and let sit overnight, then mix with good quality mince. My dogs love it!

Russkie, how's the poo like? (am always curious :mad )

Good poo. :mad Not too much. Firm. Has seeds in it!

K

Hi Helen,

Given that the ingredients of this mix are largely cereals, there is a lot of undigestable filler in it. If there are seeds in the dog poo, that's an indicator.

Dog's really don't gain much nutritional benefit from cereals. Some of course, have adverse reactions to cereals. Are you looking for a general nutritional supplement? If so, I suggest you could do better. :mad

hi helen

i would agree with poodlefan

i was under the impression that dogs can't digest the starch from grains unless it has been partially cooked, like when dog biscuits are extruded using steam.

I don't think that a lot of the grain content would be that digestible in that raw form.... :mad

even the soaking isn't going to make much if any difference.....

Edited by larry

I used this from time to time, given with RMBs only. I don't feed minced meat products at all, it's a waste of money for me - bones are cheaper and better for the dog IMO.

I used the Complete Mix mostly if we're travelling or no more than one month out of twelve. I haven't fed it since we left Melbourne, though, so that's the end of 2005. The dogs do better just on raw veg/fruit slop...in my experience. :mad

edit b/c I left a letter off a word...now it makes sense!

Edited by lillysmum

my girl didn't really like it, lost condition on it very quickly, i even tried to add more meat and various meats but made no difference.

Her poops were huge and she did about 3 or 4 after each meal!!!

but then i have heard of several people who feed multiple dogs the VAN and have fantastic looking dogs and their dogs do excellent on it!!

i guess it depends on the dog :mad

my girl didn't really like it, lost condition on it very quickly, i even tried to add more meat and various meats but made no difference.

Her poops were huge and she did about 3 or 4 after each meal!!!

but then i have heard of several people who feed multiple dogs the VAN and have fantastic looking dogs and their dogs do excellent on it!!

i guess it depends on the dog :mad

Is she gluten intolerant oonga?

poodlefan,

i wouldn't have a clue??

she is only 18months old and i had her on it a good six months or more ago?

i did try her on it several times since then, but have donated the rest of it to someone i know whose dogs thrive on it :mad

she does great on a mix of dry food about 2 cups three/four times a week (Nutro and now Eagle pack holistic)

she also gets about 500grams of RMB's and on the days she doesn't have dry food she has mix of meat, a bit of offal and fruit veggie mix. or just ox cheek or other muscle meat :mad plus some brewers yeast and kelp mixed in. and fish oil tablets (2) daily.

does this sound gluten intolerant??

When I first adopted Kal she had intolerances to certain foods. I switched to VAN and she was able to tolerate a broader variety of food types (ie meats).

One thing - I found that if I fed the amount as per package recommendations, it was far too much. I cut it down (both the VAN and meat quantity, so that the rations were in accordance with package recommendations) until I found the right balance.

Kal did extremely well on it. I added Omega Special Blend to the food too (also a VAN product). ..... not to mention a variety of other healthy additives here and there. :mad

I've had a few people who have approached me due to a skin problems and when they switched to VAN they claimed to have had a good result.

I think Haven switched her dog onto VAN and found it made a difference to the fear behaviour her adopted dog was exhibiting. Not a cure, but a difference.

poodlefan,

i wouldn't have a clue??

she is only 18months old and i had her on it a good six months or more ago?

i did try her on it several times since then, but have donated the rest of it to someone i know whose dogs thrive on it :mad

she does great on a mix of dry food about 2 cups three/four times a week (Nutro and now Eagle pack holistic)

she also gets about 500grams of RMB's and on the days she doesn't have dry food she has mix of meat, a bit of offal and fruit veggie mix. or just ox cheek or other muscle meat :mad plus some brewers yeast and kelp mixed in. and fish oil tablets (2) daily.

does this sound gluten intolerant??

If there is wheat, rye or barley, in Nutro or Eaglepack then no.

poodlefan

not sure about the Nutro or Eagle pack about the rye or barley, but doubt it?

however i just remembered she does get most nights a 4X2 biscuit which she loves and her poos are fine on this diet :mad

After a couple of very positive PMs and the comments here I am definately going to try it for a while and see how things go, as I figure it must be better than kibble, time will tell.

I did a bit more research on the website and joined which takes you to a page with more articles. The complete mix for adults contains 20-25% grains, less for pups. As it is also mixed with meat the mix is further reduced. He also talks about how the grain is crushed to imitate what would be in the stomache of prey.

He also recommends feeding dogs bones as well.

Erny - how much less do you feed your dogs to keep them a healthy weight?

Flycow - you buy the complete mix and it is soaked in equal parts of water for 12-24 hours - after that it is mixed with meat (the packet gives proportions of complete mix, water and meat) . I phoned the company and that said the complete mix can last in the fridge for 5 days and it can be frozen if you make a large quantity. They also recommend you feed raw meaty bones instead at least 2 times a week.

Erny - how much less do you feed your dogs to keep them a healthy weight?

In my girl's case, it was about half of the stated quantity. I tended to adjust it from that, depending on how much physical exercise was received on the day.

But that was for my girl. Dog's metabolic rates differ from individual to individual. I always looked at my girl from one day to the next. It was her body form that told me whether quantity was sufficient, excessive or otherwise.

I've used Phuds from Browns herbal which is a similar product. Not sure how the pricing compares. My dogs both liked it. My fatty girl did get fatter on it. You don't need to soak it overnight, you add boiling water and wait about 5/ 10 mins.

We are feeding Akira the VAN puppy mix and instead of mixing it with mince we are giving him RMBs. He has eating this for the past 3 months (he's 7 months old now) and he seems to be thriving on it.

He is growing a good steady rate and only once has he seemed a little bit overweight, but that was because I was feeding him too many RMBs! :)

It definitely gets a thumbs up from us. :thumbsup:

Oh and his poo is firm, it does have some cereals in it but on the packaging they say

"The whole grains are added for bowel roughage and should normally be present in bowel motions."

Hope that helps!

Thanks again. Erny - I have started my dogs on the standard amount and will see how we go

Dr Bruce Syme actually did a seminar on natural health yesterday locally, so i went along. He suggests feeding a natural diet, best made by yourself as people feeding BARF would do. He made the VAN for people who like the idea of feeding a natural diet but don't want the hassle (like myself). He made it as so many of his clients who he suggested a natural diet for went well for a few months but then reverted back to feeding dog biscuits as it was easier. This sure does make it easier. He also suggested adding some grains to a natural diet, as matt said for anal gland problems (wholegrains) and things such as soaked oats, I think for carbohydrate.