Liquid Poo?

Forever-Mango

Hello,

I just picked up my puppy Mally (8 week old) today and it was great until tonight. When he did his business, it was full on liquidized! I feed him soaked Pro Plan Puppy kibble for large breeds. This is what the breeders feed it but it was with chicken mince and pasta. The chicken pet mince i had was frozen solid and thought it will be ok for half a day. But guess it didnt.

I gave the breeder a call, and they said it was ok. The puppy is stressed and might be the food as well. But they said i should keep to the diet sheet and keep him warm. Might take a few days to calm him down. If its still liquidized, then feed it plain chicken till its better.

What do you think?

Regards

Mango :mad

Hello,

I just picked up my puppy Mally (8 week old) today and it was great until tonight. When he did his business, it was full on liquidized! I feed him soaked Pro Plan Puppy kibble for large breeds. This is what the breeders feed it but it was with chicken mince and pasta. The chicken pet mince i had was frozen solid and thought it will be ok for half a day. But guess it didnt.

I gave the breeder a call, and they said it was ok. The puppy is stressed and might be the food as well. But they said i should keep to the diet sheet and keep him warm. Might take a few days to calm him down. If its still liquidized, then feed it plain chicken till its better.

What do you think?

Regards

Mango :mad

Hi Forever Mango,

Congratulations on your new puppy.

My puppy Zorro did this when we first got him home for about 3 days. It is a very stressful time for them. I have read elsewhere on this forum that you don't need to wet the food. I am no expert and someone may say I am wrong.

I hope he feels better soon.

Hi and Welcome,

Firstly it could be a combination of what you fed and also stress leaving his home and coming to a new one. It is always best to stick to feeding exactly what he has had from the breeders. Also with any meat it should stay in the fridge while defrosting.

If his business is very runny I would suggest you boil some rice and lean chicken breast with no fat on it and feed him this in small amounts. Make sure he is drinking and not getting dehydrated. Keep him on the rice and chicken until his pooh is more solid, if you are at all concerned and he's no better in the morning a trip to the vet would be recommended.

Please let us know how he is going and by the way photo's are mandatory as well. :mad

I am no expert either (as you can tell by my title :mad ) but all the forum readers and writers seem to say stop wetting the food - if after a few days it hasn't cleared up take the pup to the vet.

Usually sloopy poos are stress related - if you personally get anxious your guts starts to feel funny, so imagine this pup had a mum and several litter mates I'm sure and all of a sudden no one is there anymore other than these 2 weird smelling two legged no dog speaking giants.

Ok thanks, I will give it a try. Im going to mix him the exact diet what the breeder told me to give him and see what happens. It was like a high pressure fire hose blowing out...it made a huge mess!

Btw, im uploading photos and video of my new mally. Hope to post some up soon.

It was like a high pressure fire hose blowing out...it made a huge mess!

Poor puppy, and poor you too. Keep an eye on him and if it continues or you are in any way worried see your vet. Puppies can get dehydrated really quickly.

Hi and Welcome,

Firstly it could be a combination of what you fed and also stress leaving his home and coming to a new one. It is always best to stick to feeding exactly what he has had from the breeders. Also with any meat it should stay in the fridge while defrosting.

If his business is very runny I would suggest you boil some rice and lean chicken breast with no fat on it and feed him this in small amounts. Make sure he is drinking and not getting dehydrated. Keep him on the rice and chicken until his pooh is more solid, if you are at all concerned and he's no better in the morning a trip to the vet would be recommended.

Please let us know how he is going and by the way photo's are mandatory as well. :laugh:

This is the best regime to follow for a puppy with the runs ^^^ stick to boiled chicken breast and rice for a few days with only a small amount of proplan. If you are giving fatty chicken mince while he has the runs it's not going to get any better.

Also just let him sleep the first few days, don't force him to stay up and play for long periods and keep the visitors to a minimum- he needs a very quiet house to get used to things.

Mel.

It's called the same thing in dogs as it is in people - diarrhorea.

It means the same thing in dogs as it does in people - upset stomach. Similar causes too - unusual diet, stomach bugs, or symptomatic of more serious diseases.

Monitor it in a dog as you would in yourself - more than a day or two of it - off for some veterinary advice.