Sardines

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We feed sardines once a week, as every-one says the dogs LOVE them, one of our Deerhounds prefers them in tomato sauce.......

Cheaper than sardines ( we have 5 deeries..... ) is Snappy Tom cat food, the dogs like it just as much.

Lark is a bit miffed as it does not come in tomato sauce..... she still wolfs it down......

Two cans is enough as an additive for 5 deeries and a whippet.

Jacobite, just be careful feeding cat food to dogs. From memory I dont think taurine (which is added to cat food) is good for dogs in decent amounts.

The only tuna I could find without taurine was "black & gold" brand. But bugger me, no sooner did I start to buy it, the super market stopped stocking it! :dropjaw:

RG

I feed mine sardines once a week and always have.I dont know if anyone else has noticed but I went shopping about a fortnight ago and went to buy some sardines and the price had gone up from 59 cents a tin to $1.59 in one hit. WTF.I bought the big cans of tuna instead

I feed mine no-name brand sardines in springwater. Three tins for around $1.30.

Those that are feeding mackeral - Be warned that they have a very high salt content as does the sardines in tomato sauce (which also has added sugar).

Taurine doesn't hurt dogs. I also feed my guys the ocassional tin of cat food as they love it but there isn't much fish oil in most tins so I also give my cat fish oil capsules.

I was a bit unsure if they would upset their tummies or not.

They probably can because of the oil content. Maybe start off with one or two. I feed them sardines in oil here and the dogs go insane for them. No tummy upsets though. Just floor boards scratched to pieces when they hear the word 'Sardines'.

Seems like the oily ones are the ones to go for.

Is it ok to give them to pups, and how much does everyone fed their dog?

If you give them 3 times a week how much do they get at a time?

Dogfish

Sorry, just having a snigger that someone called Dogfish needs to ask :mad

My guys have a whole tin to themselves once or twice a week as a meal. They love it :dropjaw: Or sometimes they get half a tin, plus an egg. I've also made their BARF patties with a couple of tins mixed in too. Minus the tins themselves ;)

Sorry, just having a snigger that someone called Dogfish needs to ask ;)

My guys have a whole tin to themselves once or twice a week as a meal. They love it :dropjaw: Or sometimes they get half a tin, plus an egg. I've also made their BARF patties with a couple of tins mixed in too. Minus the tins themselves :love:

lol.. I thought this would come up sooner or later. :mad

My handle is named after the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.

I am a mad craftbrewer but a first time dog owner. Took me ages to come up with a handle so in the end I just picked this one.

So at what rate can I introduce them to our 13 week old airedale?

Dogfish

Harley loves sardines too...

I normally buy the no name brand tin with spring water but had a mix up last time and I bought the sardines in oil instead.

I've been draining out the oil cause I wanst sure if oil was good or not for him - also with the sardines in tomato juice (?) - is that ok to feed???

ta

Gillian

The oil is fine if he doesn't have weight issues and if it doesn't give him loose motions.

I have dogs that are prone to weight gain and a dog that has to have fats and oils restricted due to medication so I only ever feed sardines in spring water.

Trial him on the oil and see what happens. If his stools soften too much then revert to spring water.

The tomato sauce ones are bad as they contain added salt and sugar which dogs do not need.

Oh I'll have to get some tips from you then, Dogfish! :dropjaw:

Start with one, see how he goes, then another couple in the next few days and so on. Shouldn't have too many dramas though.

Sardines, mackerel, pillies (probably the cheapest way to go!), salmon, tuna - all good. Like everything - moderation is the key. And lots of it :mad