My Dog Had A Fit *updated*

Thanks guys, we will be trying to stick to the 7 - 7 as strictly as possible whilst we are still in the testing of the medication - I might try to set an alarm on my phone so I dont forget. :thumbsup:

Its so great to hear about people going through the same thing. This morning we were both just in such a state, trying to clean up after him wondering how much longer we can do this for, especially since we hope to have a skin baby join us next year.

We have new neighbours so I might go and get better acquainted with them - they have 3 dogs so they are obviously dog people! Just in case of emergencies or if we are away for the night.

My OH's brother will be looking after the house/dog whilst we are away for the first week of our honeymoon and then we might have a friend or my mum come and look after Toby for the week after - we have tried several boarding kennels but none will take him as he is agressive towards other dogs. Im thinking about opening a kennels for special needs dogs!

Hi there, my 12 YO Maltese Poodle Cross has had epilepsy since he was around one year old. At that stage I was living alone and he must have had a few seizures when I was at work and I didn't know. Then he had one bad one one evening and I rushed him to the vet hospital, he was in there for several days and has been on phenobarb ever since. The above advice is great, but I also wanted to mention I believe we overmedicated Max for some years because when he was around 9 years old he got quite depressed; we took him to the vets and they lowered his medication and he has been fine ever since, runs like a puppy and touch wood hasn't had a seizure for nearly two years. My father in law is a pharmacist and when we told him about the dog being over medicated he explained what the side affects of the drug Max was on are. One important point I MUST stress is the importance of giving the dog the medication at specific times. I must say when I was younger I slipped up a few times and Max had a seizure so try your best to ensure the tablets are given at specific times....it really is most important. If any you require any further info or have any questions about it please feel free to pm as I have nearly 12 years of experience of living with a epileptic dog.