Advice

I find the easiest way to take care of all this is with Sentinel Spectrum. It covers heartworm, flea control and all intestinal worms in a monthly tablet, though I think if the dogs has fleas you need something else at first to kill them as sentinel doesn't kill them, just controls them once they are gone or dead.

I would not give the annual heartworm injection as I have heard bad things about it.

Depending on where you live you may need to use tick prevention as well.

I personally use a monthly heartworm (will not use the yearly injection) and 3 monthly general wormer. We are lucky to have never had a flea issue but do use a flea/tick preventive before travelling interstate (tick area's)

I use Advocate each month as it covers fleas, heartworm, intestinal worms, lice, earmites but not TICKS. If I'm going into a tick area then I use Preventix tick collars.

On the 1st day of each quarter, I give my dogs a tapeworm tablet.

I buy my products on the website www.pricelesspets.com.au - saves me heaps as I have a few dogs.

I will not use a Heartworm injection either.

Edited by dogmad

On the 1st day of each quarter, I give my dogs a tapeworm tablet.

May I ask what the name is of the tapeworm medication.

Dad's dog went in for her yearly injection the other day and was given a tapeworm tablet, but he can't remember the name of it.

She is on Advocate for heartworm and worms, and so is Abby and I was wondering about the tapeworm tablet. (Only just stopped giving her the Drontal as a puppy which covered all intestinal worms).

I use Interceptor Spectrum tabs x one a month (heartworm and intestinal worms), ProBan tablets every 2nd day for ticks and fleas (we live in an area that is heavily infested with paralysis ticks), annual vaccinations and feed super premium dog food.

ETA: typo - still can't use this ergonomic keyboard.

Edited by benny123

We also use sentinel spectrum for worms, we are in a high tick area and use Advantix every two weeks Sep-May and once a month otherwise.

The annual Heartworm injection can have disastrous effects on the collies, shelties and border collies so not worth the risk.

We too feed super premium food- Nutro- and Ziwipeak.

There will probably be many other questions you may have regarding grooming, bedding, etc so fire away DONT be afraid to ask :o no question is a silly one.

We too dont use the yearly heartworm & do not sugget our puppy owners use its either,far to many probs with.

We do things the very old fashioned way.We treat heartworm with heartworm meds,we dont use any of the monthly stuff

A lot of people feel the annual heartworm injection plays havoc with the dog's immune system, as it's a big hit of drug in one go, rather than being spaced out monthly. Many dogs don't seem to suffer any ill-effects, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Do a search here, there's been threads about it in the past.

IMO:

1. Heartworm prevention- monthly

2. Intestinal worm prevention- fortnightly for puppies, about every 6 weeks for older dogs

Some medications combine 1. and 2. e.g. Interceptor Spectrum

2. Flea & tick prevention- monthly for fleas, fortnightly for paralysis tick (that's the one that can kill your dog) e.g. Advantix (this one does mozzies, too).

Not everyone agrees on vaccination schedules, but a more strict example would be: Set of 3 vaccinations as a pup, then yearly. That could be a requirement for kennels, obedience clubs etc. - best to look into it at the time and talk to your vet.

It's worth checking out the costs, too, as I find possible vet bills and these others the most expensive part of having dogs.

I prefer not to give the annual heartworm injection because of the risk of side effects. It's easy to give the Interceptor spectrum monthly and it does intestinal worms, too.

prices: pricelesspets.com.au