A Little Help...

Just got home and find the dogs have emptied a 20 litre barrel of Olive oil that was on the top shelf in their room. They have decided to jump up and chew the tap...

Besides that and ruining our floor and the impossible clean up, whats the worst that can happen to the dogs if they have eaten some?? Loki has just vomitted some but they both seem bright and normal.

Some advice please? I could imagine they would just be sick but should I give them something to try and soak it up or just be prepared for the poooo onlsaught? Will they have any internal damage? Should I call the vet?

Please I dont need any "they shouldnt have been able to get it blah blah" because I am aware of this and it was stupid and now we have an entire room that needs to be refloored but I am just worried about the dogs. :):confused:

As far as I know I don't think it's bad for them but I'm no vet or expert so I can't help ya :) Im sure what comes out the other end will be concerning :confused: Anyway, sorry to hear about your doggies.Hope they're ok :love: I'm sure someone on dol can help you out better

I can't think of a case where eating olive oil has been harmful, however, just to be on the safe side and considering how much oil they've eaten, I'd be calling the vet.

Other than that, you coudl probably expect nice shiny coats and nice sloppy poos LOL

The worst that can happen (if they are predisposed to it) is acute pancreatitis. My aunt's dog broke into the oil container and that is what happened to her. Ring the vet to ask what signs to watch for

:confused: Kinda funny!

Not your floor though. Buggers.

I would say they will just get a tummy upset and runny poo.

However did the drink heaps of it or is most of it on the floor?

If most of it is on the floor i would say just watch them.

If heaps has been drunk, check with the vet.

Good luck

PS at least you get a new floor out of it!

Just keep an eye on them.... I think they should be fine apart from runny poos :(

I give my doggies a little drizzle of olive oil with their dinner. I was told it would help with the digestion process.

Maybe give them something bland for a bit until they settle down like boiled rice and chicken??

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Dogs are cool, just a bit sad sack from having to sleep in the laundry all night.

NewHound, they are/were :laugh: timber floating floors so the oil has wrecked them totally and it started to seep onto the slate :D all fixed now however if I have to smell Olive Oil anytime in the next 10 years it will be too soon!

pmsfl Casey i have these images of rince and Loki skating around in olive oil having a bloody ball while you were out lol....

Seriously who keeps 20 lts of olive oil? that must have cost a mint....

Good luck with the clean up and dont stress it wont harm the dogs internally, they wouldnt have eaten much anyway it would taste like crap on its own and make them thristy.....

Gotta love the charater dont ya?

20 litres of olive oil is ok :laugh: I'd be more worried if they had 200 packets of jelly crystals and a portable swimming pool. :rofl:

seriously though what sort of floor was put down ??

if it is timber it might be able to be cleaned with vinegar or oxalic acid. if it is particle board and not waterproof its buggered.

The floor is wrecked but is livable for the moment... it wasnt waterproof but it sure is now :rofl:

The dogs are good, there was some not so nice toileting and lots of water drinking but they are all fixed. My house smells of Olive oil though which is a bit feral :champagne:

We were given the Oil from OH's parents... Sarah, picture what OH's parents would be like?! They have like 10 of those barrells and gave one to us when we moved coz its "for family" :)

If that was home made olive oil, I'm jealous of the dogs!! And the floor! :thumbsup:

If it's an aroma not pleasant enough to feel like Roma, stick some bowls of white vinegar around the place and it'll instantly neutralise the smell.