Metacam Side Effects

My dog has only 3 legs - we adopted him after it happened - and has had arthritis for about 4 years. To the best of our knowledge he is about 8-1/2 now. He became anorexic while taking Derramax, so his vet changed him to Metacam. The first week went fine, but by then suddenly at the end of week 2 he could barely stand up or walk. It literally happened overnight. Although his vet said it was not the medicine, I discontinued it anyway.

We then went to a veterinary neurologist, who took x-rays, and said he had disc problems. To start on different medications for that, it is necessary to be off NSAIDS (i.e.: Metacam) for several days. It is now day 3 without the drug and he can walk at least a couple hundred feet.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks!

I have an oldie on Metacam and she has been on it for several years now. We have had no problem at all with it.

For some time I did resist using it beccause of all the negative reports and used a herbal preparation instead. However, in the last 6 months or so that was not giving enough relief so I went back to using the metacam.

My thought was to keep her off NSAIDS for as long as possible but if and when it came to the point that nothing else worked I would accept their use for quality of life over quantity.

Our elderly Sheltie had an opposite reaction. She was first started on an arthritis medication...name started with 'R' (Rimadyl?) It made her very sick.

Vet changed her to Metacam & she tolerated that well.

But her best improvement came after a Tibbie breeder recommended a course of Carthophen injections. They worked brilliantly for her.

There's some info on Carthophen here. Also mentions a product called Osteo-Eze (but I've no experience with that.)

http://www.thevets.com.au/arthritis.htm

My oldie is on metacam and I've also used it for a dog with a brain tumour, and other dogs when they are in pain from something. Always had terrifc success with it and no side effects. Hope your doggie is ok.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My old gal Silver is on Metacam & Tramal, and she is doing really well on them. I had heard talk of side effects from Metacam, and resisted as long as I could, but her situation changed making it a neccessity, and I am relieved to say no side effects for her, and she is feeling great at the moment. We also found that accupuncture can be helpful in treating arthritis. :thumbsup:

My old poodle was put on Metacam when he damaged a disk in his back, he became very lethergic and within two days it had caused a massive stomache ulcer, we had to stop the metacam and treat the ulcer with two different medications.

Ever since I have been very wary about using it, even now the vets tell me it was a very unusual reaction and the drug is one of the safest.

I run a boarding kennel. I just had a 12 year old Weimeraner bitch die while boarding. She was on Metacam. Her last days were associated with fever, severe stomach / gasto problems. She had obvious skeletal problems when she came in (severely abnormal gait) -- which is why she was on metacam. I'm not taking sides in any way . . . just trying to add one datum to the tally.

My old girl hated it. Even on a very low dose she acted as if she was very drunk. Leaning against walls for support and crying in distress. The vet insisted it wasn't the Metacam but I stopped it anyway she was back to her usual happy self in 12 hours. I think it's like alot of things some animals react badly to it and some are fine. I did want to try the Carthophen but the vet didn't seem too keen so she had lyprinol gel caps instead which seems to help her quite a bit.

Hi,

Matacam is an exceptionally good product and nowhere near as harsh as Rimadyl, which has had much documentation on the side effects of it documented from the USA.

Metacam MUST me administered WITH FOOD, without exception. ALL of this type of product must be, failure to do so, will cause ulceration to the stomach.

There as with many dogs, will be some dogs who will have adverse reactions to drugs. However ulceration of the stomach can only happen by drugs of this type failing to be given with satisfactory content in the stomach to prevent ulceration happening.

It is the same with human drugs, which is why warning is given, to have either with food, or on an empty stomach.

Deb

All medications and many herbal/ natural remedies can have side effects and need to be given according to instructions with review by a vet regularly.

I'm amazed to see and hear how people don't give medication properly (e.g. double doses, omitted doses, not following directions) then complain about side effects, it "doesn't work" or is a "nasty drug" :laugh: . You have to give it as prescribed.

I'm not saying this is the case for those who've posted about problems: Metacam has side effects and many people do the right thing and follow vet advice correctly.

If I had a dog with severe arthritis, I'd prefer to keep him more comfortable with medication than not treat because of fear of side effects. It can involve some trial and error to see what medication(s) work best for your dog in consultation with your vet. Metacam may not suit your dog, or your dog have a pre-existing problems making it dangerous to give.

There as with many dogs, will be some dogs who will have adverse reactions to drugs. However ulceration of the stomach can only happen by drugs of this type failing to be given with satisfactory content in the stomach to prevent ulceration happening.

In my case it was given with food.....so we'll agree to disagree - in some dogs it is contraindicated - just as with some humans.....however having read extensively on NSAIDS including these two I would not allow them to be used for any reason. My dogs, my choice.

If you are worried about arthritis there are now many alternatives such as Cartrophen which IMO are FAR safer......

Edited by Fit for a King

:laugh: Hi Fit for a King,

We have to much respect for one another, not to agree to disagree! :love:

There are some breeds of dogs that do not respond well to certain groups of drugs, and this needs to be taken into consideration as well, breeders and owners of these breeds should always be aware of the drugs, foods etc that breeds are intolerant off!

Cartrophen has been around for as long as I can remember, (but I refuse to show my age! :rofl:

And for people who worry about arthritis and joint problems, 'joint guard," and glucosimine are always good natural additives that work in the same way by giving relief directly to the the joint and joint capsule.

The thing is, what works for one dog may not always work for another, but it is not always the product that is the problem.

Have a great day.

Deb

From the Plumbs Handbook of Veterinary Drugs:

Meloxicam

Prescriber Highlights

NSAID used in dogs and cats (not presently approved); COX-2 preferential

Available in as both an injectable and oral product

GI adverse effects are less likely, but can occur

Drug-drug interactions

Uses/Indications

Meloxicam is principally used for the symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis in dogs. Short-term (single dose) use and pulse dosing in cats is also being investigated, but much less information on the use of this drug in cats is available.

Pharmacokinetics

In dogs, meloxicam is well absorbed after oral administration. Food does not alter absorption. Peak blood levels occur in about 7-8 hours after administration. The volume of distribution in dogs is 0.3 l/kg and about 97% is bound to plasma proteins. Meloxicam is extensively biotransformed to several different metabolites in the liver; none of these appear to have pharmacologic activity. The majority of these (and unchanged drug) are eliminated in the feces. A significant amount of enterohepatic recirculation occurs. Elimination half-life is species specific. The elimination half-life in dogs averages 24 hours (range: 12-36 hours); other species: pigs: 4 hours; horses: 3 hours; cattle: 13 hours.

Contraindications/Precautions

The European label states that meloxicam is contraindicated in dogs hypersensitive to it, with active GI ulceration or bleeding, impaired hepatic, cardiac or renal function and hemorrhagic disorders. The human label states that no dosage adjustment is necessary in patients with mild to moderate hepatic or renal impairment. Use extreme caution in dehydrated, hypovolemic or hypotensive animals' as there is a potential increased risk of renal toxicity developing.

Client Information

Shake well before using. Carefully measure dose (oral liquid); do not confuse the markings on the syringe (provided by the manufacturer) with mls or kgs. If using drops to measure dose in small dogs, do not place drops directly into dog's mouth; mix with food. Otherwise, may place oral syringe into dogs mouth or mix with food. If animal develops adverse effects, contact the veterinarian

Hi Fit for a King,

We have to much respect for one another, not to agree to disagree!

There are some breeds of dogs that do not respond well to certain groups of drugs, and this needs to be taken into consideration as well, breeders and owners of these breeds should always be aware of the drugs, foods etc that breeds are intolerant off!

Absolutely Deb - couldn't agree more. I will just never use them ever.

Cartrophen - I thought it had only been around a few years...but then you have only just had your 21st birthday haven't you Deb? :rofl::laugh:

Edited by Fit for a King