Worried About Sophie

B-Q

i kinda just need to post, i'm worried about sophie.

she's only 9, has bad arthritis and is on painkillers everyday for the rest of her life.

just recetnly she's developed an internal lump we can see in her side. its not big, but i'm scared. plus we noticed today she looks too thin, you can see her ribs slightly and her backbone a bit.

i'm frightened, when we lost daisy, it was unexpected. but i can't see sophie being around at age 20. she has so many health problems for a dog that isn't really that old. mums said it might be cancer

i still remember the day we bought her, there were only 2 littermates left. the other girl was black, she was a bit skittish and almost snappy. we knew sophie would have bad hips and skin problems from the moment we saw her but we figured she may as well get a great loving family for however long she was around.

on the way home in the car she just sat there with her head on my lap.

we got her home, we sat her in the backyard, she just sat there. thought she might get burnt after a couple of hours so we moved her to the shade (actually picking her up and carrying her)

that night we carried her inside. she was so timid, didn't come looking for human attention, when she came inside she's skulk through frightened.

but she really came out. 9 years on you can't keep her out of the house without a fight. she demands attention when she wants it and she's not nervous of other people at all.

i can't believe how lucky we were to have such a special dog come to us. i'm so frightened she might not be around for too much longer.

Put her on selenium and vit E straight away if there is the slightest suspicion of cancer - one milligram of selenium per 10 kg bodyweight plus 500 IU vit E every day. You can get the livestock selenium drench from produce stores for about $20. Be careful handling it as selenium is toxic if overdosed.

A Canadian vet is using this protocol with great success on canine osteosarcoma and it has cured quite a number of people of inoperable cancer of internal organs.

Fish oil would help the pain of the arthritis as it is a natural anti-inflammatory and will also help the arthritis itself as well as helping heart and brain function and the immune system.

There are a lot of things that can help her.

thanks, we have a fair few things. we got told hto feed her sardines. we bought some stuff you rub into her back. it smells but it helps.

she's gotta go to the vet this week as well, she's got some badly broken front canines

Put her on selenium and vit E straight away if there is the slightest suspicion of cancer - one milligram of selenium per 10 kg bodyweight plus 500 IU vit E every day. You can get the livestock selenium drench from produce stores for about $20. Be careful handling it as selenium is toxic if overdosed.

A Canadian vet is using this protocol with great success on canine osteosarcoma and it has cured quite a number of people of inoperable cancer of internal organs.

Hi Morgan! I am very interested in knowing more about this treatment, and I am curious about the dosage mentioned. I don't have access to a produce at the moment, but noticed some Selenium tablets in the healthfood shop. They had 25 micrograms (according to the label) of selenium (as Selenomethionine), and the recommended dosage for a person was 1 tablet per day. At 1 milligram per 10 kgs bodyweight per day, that would be 40 tablets a day. Maybe this is not the same stuff you are talking about. Otherwise, can someone point me to an online store that definitely has the right stuff, because all the onliune stores I have looked at don't have it, or have a similar thing to the one I found in the health store. Thanx! :laugh:

PS Apologies to Busterlove for the hijack. :rofl:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

although vitamins are great... just be careful! vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin and they tend to be easily stored in the body and can then toxicity can cause a decrease in absorption of vitamin k (which is needed for blood clotting). Selenium and vit E do work hand in hand together (anti-oxidants) and both have roles in the immune system (but i dont think that means they will stop cancer). but selenium can be toxic so again just be careful. the fish oil is good for arthritis too,

i am in no way meaning to scare you but i dont think you should just rely on vitamins. Have a chat to your vet and see if there are any tests you can do! and maybe both you and the vet can work out appropriate dose rates of the vitamins (and perhaps figure out which is the cheapest way)

is the lump where she gets her vaccinations? as sometimes dogs get lumps at vaccination sites... or it could be lipoma.. which is a fatty deposit under the skin - what does it feel like and how big is it (in cm)?

Well good luck! keep us posted...

Bree

Hi Morgan! I am very interested in knowing more about this treatment, and I am curious about the dosage mentioned. I don't have access to a produce at the moment, but noticed some Selenium tablets in the healthfood shop. They had 25 micrograms (according to the label) of selenium (as Selenomethionine), and the recommended dosage for a person was 1 tablet per day. At 1 milligram per 10 kgs bodyweight per day, that would be 40 tablets a day. Maybe this is not the same stuff you are talking about. Otherwise, can someone point me to an online store that definitely has the right stuff, because all the onliune stores I have looked at don't have it, or have a similar thing to the one I found in the health store. Thanx! :laugh:

PS Apologies to Busterlove for the hijack. :rofl:

Hi - in the US selenium tablets are limited to a max of 200 mcg, but here there is a 25 mcg limit due to the toxicity of selenium if overdosed. The toxic dose of selenium is around 2-4 mgs per kilo bodyweight, so the dose I quoted is quite safe, but very difficult and expensive to take in tablet form. The selenium livestock drench is much cheaper and the directions on how to dilute it to the required strength are very clear, BUT it is imperative not to confuse micrograms and milligrams - this mistake has killed one person in the US who accidentally took over a thousand times the recommended dose.

As this product is a veterinary one it is not restricted by the limits placed on human selenium products, but great care must be taken with it. I daresay there might be a veterinary supplier who stocks it online, but no human supplements will be available in this dosage. Naturally the people who have cured their cancers with this dosage of selenium have had to resort to the veterinary product to be able to do so.

I've been told that the Canadian vet using this protocol for his patients also uses a livestock drench.

If you are unable to get hold of the selenium there is an excellent product called Percy's Powder which has been used to cure cancer in people and animals since the 1930's, or it's updated NZ version called CAA Capsules (which contain 200 mcg selenium).

although vitamins are great... just be careful! vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin and they tend to be easily stored in the body and can then toxicity can cause a decrease in absorption of vitamin k (which is needed for blood clotting). Selenium and vit E do work hand in hand together (anti-oxidants) and both have roles in the immune system (but i dont think that means they will stop cancer). but selenium can be toxic so again just be careful. the fish oil is good for arthritis too,

Thanx for the warning - she's already on fish oil & jointguard for arthritis. I am not wanting to treat the arthritis (which is under control), but interested in treatment for cancer.

ETA I agree people need to be extremely careful about giving any medication or vitamin/mineral supplements to animals. :laugh:

Edited by New Age Outlaw