Dirty Ears

Hey

Mishas ears get dirty very easily. I have been cleaning them out every seond day and they are filled and i mean FILLED with the black wax stuff. They dont seem to be worrying her but id there anything i can so they stop producing so much waxy stuff?

thanks

Otiderm is an ear and wound cleanser - it is used for the removal of accumlated wax deposits. Maybe give that a try - can be bought from pet shops and vets. Otherwise, if that doesn't work, I would be going to the vet in case Misha has an infection.

I dont think your meant to clean them every second day? If you clean them too often doesnt it encourage more wax build up?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

It sounds like an ear mite infestation to me. Get some canker drops from your nearest ethical pet shop and follow the directions. Healthy ears don't need cleaning often - I usually check them once a month and rarely clean them (ears are for the most part, self-cleaning). :laugh:

Sounds like a yeast infection to me. Has she had her ears checked by a vet? That is the first thing to do :laugh:

Ruby's had a yeast infection in her ears. She scratched at them like crazy and ended up with a lot of bleeding from scratching so much...so I don't think this dog has a yeast infection. Ear mites, OTOH, don't always produce behaviour changes in the dog (such as excessive scratching or head shaking) which is why I think it's more likely to be mites. :p I'd give the canker drops a go but if no improvement over a week, then a vet visit is in order. :D

Ears do not need cleaning every 2 days. As suggested get some drops to clear up any infection, most likely mites.

I only clean my dogs ears when they have a wash every 4-6 weeks, and only the ear flaps. I never stick my fingers right in to clean, I just clean what is visible and wiped easily. Sticking your fingers in can cause more damage.

Hey

Mishas ears get dirty very easily. I have been cleaning them out every seond day and they are filled and i mean FILLED with the black wax stuff. They dont seem to be worrying her but id there anything i can so they stop producing so much waxy stuff?

thanks

I'd agree it sounds like a yeast infection. My pup had one when she was little and produced lots of dark brown waxy stuff, but her ears did not concern her. A trip to the vet to get the problem diagnosed and appropriate treatment should clear it up in no time.

I would not be using anything without a vet prescription.

Thanks for the advise guys, im cleaning them more every 5-6 days but they need it after 3 days and im not cleaning right down just around the top.

I dont think it is a yeast infection as it does not smell like one. My cavalier always used to get yeast infections and it doesnt seem like htat.

She did have them checked at the vet a few weeks back and she cleaned them as well she said there wasnt anything deep down and to just clean them every second day. I am cleaning them with Epi-Otic ear cleaner.

Maybe another trips to the vet is in order, Oh and i do have a second dog but he wont clean her ears she only cleans his

Edited by chicko

epi-otic is fine to use regularly, its a vet use ear cleanser and is very gentle to use. but normally you dont clean dog's ears that regularly....

i think before you go and buy ear canker drops and everything, just double check with the vet (as they are the ones who should know and you don't want to double dose). does she have really hairy ears? sometimes they can cause the wax to clog up and stay in there as they can't get/shake the wax out...just a thought.

Guest sharynriding

I have had constant problems with my retrievers like you describe and have been advised by the vet to start hills prescription diet as he seems to think that perhaps my dogs have a food allergy.

Tried with Hills and didn't really like it so have swapped to EaglePack Holistic range, as recommended by many DOLers and fingers crossed, seems to be doing the trick so far, early days yet I must admit. Worth a discussion with the vet to get his/her opinion.

Best of luck to you. Hope the problem gets solved.

My dog had an ear infection recently after his ears weren't dried properly after a bath. The vet said it probably exacerbated a low grade infection. I had to clean out his ears with cleaner every day and then put in medicated drops. He was also on cortizone tablets for three days.

Glad it was nothing major. I think you did the right thing to have it checked by a vet.

There was a thread a while back where a dog had ear problems and was given the wrong treatment (e.g. cleaner for mites, or, mite treatment for infection, can't remember exactly) --> delayed him getting better quick and wasted money on the wrong medications/ drops.