A Trick!

Sorry, but i'm proud of myself & mum's lil'man (swf) who we worked together as a team yesterday & today and have taught him roll over!!! He's 4yrs old and often doesn't give a *** untill you give him his treat. So with my loveing patience i exercised the notion and walllaaah! he's learnt a new trick!!

he's so much smarter than anyone gives him credit for around here!

He does it with such passion and enthusiasm aswell...

right next trick will be: "bang!" .. "your dead" :rofl:

anways just really wanted to share this with you all/ who ever reads this :rofl:

Congratulations. :p It's a great feeling isn't it?

I have a handler in the class I instruct who's dog is 8. Yes 8 years. This dog, although they had her since she was a pup, has never been trained to even sit, she just stood most of the time and did her own thing. First week we ran through sit. The following week the handler made of point of saying "Look at this she is sitting". He was so happy and obviously proud of her and himself. Last week we did drop and again he was so chuffed his dog actually did it.

i taught Rogue to paw/hand (for right and left) and it took her a litle while but now she offers it all the time - its very cute - she does it to Mav too!!

u can see the penny drop when they understand - and yes very rewarding :)

i want to teach roll over altho i dont like my chances :p

That is so exciting! I love it when Bronson 'gets it'

how do you teach Bang...you're dead?

And for that matter, what about paw? Every time I touch Bronson's paw he puts his mouth down to my hand and wants to nip / smell / lick me

thanks

i think the paw trick was on here recently - it was really simple - my 2 are both very paw-ry anyway - they always test things with their paws.

i use a command, action and then picked up her paw and shook it clicked and treat. repeat a couple of times then only offer the command and action and see what happens - it may not happen first try but as soon as they lift the paw off the ground - reward and keep going til its perfect - move the goal posts a little each time to get the rewards :p now i can command and offer a hand (i modified the action a little).

i think the bang your dead is a bit harder - you have to teach the down first then the roll then put it together and add the command...

i have started to work on it.

i'm using my hand in shape of gun, then pretend to fire "bang" for roll over - he actually got it! i will work on "your dead" as a replacement for stay on his side. This might seem confusing, but he knows he has several comands for same action(he's smart chooky), for eg: down & drop is the same (being mum's dog she has changed things since he was a pup and i did basic obedience).

will let you know, didn't have time to do it today, on weekend i'll dedicate some time to it again.

And for that matter, what about paw? Every time I touch Bronson's paw he puts his mouth down to my hand and wants to nip / smell / lick me

thanks

Easiest way to teach the paw command is to put a treat in your hand & hold it in front of the dog letting them know it's there. After they have done the usual licking & biting to try to get it they will eventually paw at your hand & when they touch your hand with their paw you can click & treat (or your equivilent if you dont use a clicker).

Congrats to everyone who's managed to teach their dog something :laugh: .

i was very pleased with myself (and Rogue) last night we started some 'box' work and then i taught her to catch :laugh: i tried a week or so ago - and the treats just bounced off her head :laugh: but i went back to basics yesterday and now shes got it ;) :rofl::laugh:

i had them both in down positions and called their name and alternated throwing treats - yeay now i can reward from a distance - it was great for Mav (and he picked up catching really quick) Rogue was a little slower...

I taught Benson to roll over this week too, He is so funny when he does it.....he rolls over one way, gets his treat then quickly rolls over the other way and looks for another treat.

He's 3 1/2 months old and already he can sit, drop, shake hands, roll over and fetch a ball. This is the first time I've ever put some serious effort into training a puppy and I'm finding it's loads of fun and very rewarding. We only train for about 10 minutes a day, sometimes broken up into 2 five minute sessions but he catches on really fast.

Now that I've got him doing a series of commands, we run through all of them at the start and end of each session but he only gets a treat for the newest one.

Jack has finally managed to do the roll-over trick all the way. He would always roll halfway over, then back to his original position.

Now that he can roll over all the way, he's offering it to us all the time, among his usual repertoire. I should try training him on a hill one day ... I reckon he'd roll all the way down :confused: