Chipped Tooth

I was playing around with my furkid a few days ago and i noticed that her left tooth is slightly chipped. by that I mean her canine.. We've only had her recently (few months) adopted her from someone else... but we all still love her!! so i figured it must be from before....

tonight I was brushing her and mucking around and thought i'd check her teeth to see if she was ok.. I noticed on the other side, it was chipped but not at the tip like the left one. it seems to be chipped on the front side? I'm not sure if it will cause her pain and stuff.. I mean for us, if too much is chipped, it exposes the nerves... I'm super paranoid.. I'm not sure wat to do!!! :laugh:

Can anyone help!?!?

Edited by Lynlovesdogs

My lab has worn and chipped both his canines down to they are the same height as the rest of his teeth........*shakes head*

But it certainly doesn't seem to hurt him in any way so maybe the nerves are deeper or not quite so strong. (he also has no front teeth at all on the bottom).

I would push very gently around the gum at the base of the tooth (if its infected you will know) and watch your dog closely when eating and mouthing/grabbing things in play.......you know yourself when you have a saw tooth you dont chew properly. If the dog is chewing normally, looks happy and not in pain I wouldn't worry too much and get your vet to check it out at your next visit.

I would also make sure the tooth is clean, lots of meaty bones to chew or dentabone work well.......or you can try doggy tooth brushing!

canines can be worn or chipped quite a long way down before the dog feels anything - usualy they will go off hard food like bones...

if shes happy in herself i doubt she can feel anything - get the vet to check next time your nearby

.....on a side note - is she an akita? looks a bit akita-ish in your avatar :laugh:

I'm so paranoid!! its not so much that its been worn down (well that's only on one side) but on the one I noticed last night. it seemed almost like there was a chip on the front side.. so kinda along the length of the tooth? Does that make sense?? She's happy but she's been kinda grumpy (thought its because we sent her for a grooming at our vet and she was left there all day plus with the wet weather she hasnt been able to go out and play)

I'm worried because we give her lots of pigs ears to chew on and kangaroo bones.. thought they might be too hard?

Akitaowner: she's a keeshond :laugh: we shaved her in the summer cos she has very irritable skin :laugh:

dogs need their canines to rip thru the meat and hard food, so i would get it checked out just in case, you would rather pay say a $100 bill for a check up than a $400 bill for a dental... if you can see a hole up the middle (ie the canal) then it needs to be checked as thats where the nerve goes..

is it possible to fix this kind of thing? I've touched it where the chip is as well as at the gum to see if she winces but it seems to be ok. She was just being sullen because she was cooped up for the last 2 weeks.. took her to the park today and she's fine.

but i will still get her checked out at the vet and will post back Thanks

it may have been chipped for ages? do you kow this is a recent thing??

ring the previous owner if u can and see if they know anything about it?

if its not sore it should be fine. You can 'fix' teeth but its massively expensive and unless shes a show bitch (event then...) i wouldnt bother.

take her to the vet if your worried...

if you can see a hole up the middle (ie the canal) then it needs to be checked as thats where the nerve goes..

To be able to see the root canal itself would be very difficult and if it was exposed to that degree then it would be at high risk of infection and her dog would be in obvious discomfort.

Pressing the gum wont necessarily tell you if there is a problem with the tooth itself, they can have entirely seperate problems that do not involve both.

If you are that concerned take her to the vet, I hope she is ok! :thumbsup:

I'd probably go with the idea of getting it looked at. Might not be a bad idea to get a full check up anyway seeing as though you have only had her a short time.

Dogs don't always show pain in teeth like people too, when there is a problem. Most likely won't be anything serious, but it's best to get it looked at sooner rather than later, incase the canal is exposed which could lead to infection - again, something dogs don't always make obvious to us!

My vet found a couple of small chips in my old girls teeth today, but they aren't too bad so we're just going to keep an eye on them.

Dogs don't always show pain in teeth like people too, when there is a problem. Most likely won't be anything serious, but it's best to get it looked at sooner rather than later, incase the canal is exposed which could lead to infection - again, something dogs don't always make obvious to us!

See I have only had experience with humans and yes, they whinge alot.. :thumbsup:

If the tooth is fractured to the degree that the nerve is exposed it will become infected and that would be very painful. If it is a small chip that has only fractured away enamel then it would most likely to be ok.