Proheart Heartworm Tablets- Advantix Etc

Hey

I am moving to qld- so obviously heartworm prevention has come into my mind.

I want something that does paralysis ticks/heartworm, fleas etc.

I have looked at advantic but it only does fleas and ticks but I need something that does heartworm too- however revolution doesnt do paralysis ticks. Is it safe to double up? Or should I just go with daily heartworm tabs instead?

Hey

I am moving to qld- so obviously heartworm prevention has come into my mind.

I want something that does paralysis ticks/heartworm, fleas etc.

I have looked at advantic but it only does fleas and ticks but I need something that does heartworm too- however revolution doesnt do paralysis ticks. Is it safe to double up? Or should I just go with daily heartworm tabs instead?

You can definitely double up with advocate and advantix for example.

You can definitely double up with advocate and advantix for example.

No you can't.

Why not use something like Interceptor Spectrum which is a monthly tablet that covers heartworm and gutworms and then use advantix for fleas and ticks?

Daily heartworm tablets such as Dimmitrol are still available but aren't the preferred treatment option anymore due to problems if you miss even one day.

You'll definately be able to find something that suits you - why not call a couple of places in the town you are moving to and see what they recommend? I had a lady in Melbourne call me for that very reason last week. :)

Edited by Georgie-boy

I don't think I'd start any heartworm prevention on an adult dog unless it is tested first. If you use preventative medication on a dog with heartworm it is usually fatal.

A quick blood test can tell you if your dog is heartworm free.

Depends which part of QLD you are moving to but they are having lots of probs with fleas at the moment.

I'm pretty sure Bayer says you can use Advocate and Advantix concurrently- say 2 weeks apart with doses- but I'm not sure why you'd want to, a once a month application of pesticides is plenty for any dogs immune system IMO.

I would prolly not worry too much at this stage and check in with your local Vet when u get there, see if they are having any huge issues with ticks or fleas, or both.

Advantix works awesomely well for fleas, mozzies and flies down here in Melb.....but not sure how it's going up north.

Mel.

Advantix does fleas,ticks & mozzies.........If it is affective at repelling mozzies then you shouldnt require heartworm as well...but does it work I wonder? How would you really know???

I use Advantix & Valueheart monthly, heartworm, as I havent put it to the test ....

Depends which part of QLD you are moving to but they are having lots of probs with fleas at the moment.

I'm pretty sure Bayer says you can use Advocate and Advantix concurrently- say 2 weeks apart with doses- but I'm not sure why you'd want to, a once a month application of pesticides is plenty for any dogs immune system IMO.

I would prolly not worry too much at this stage and check in with your local Vet when u get there, see if they are having any huge issues with ticks or fleas, or both.

Advantix works awesomely well for fleas, mozzies and flies down here in Melb.....but not sure how it's going up north.

Mel.

Yep, my vet and bayer rep say you can use Advocate and Advantix concurrently just like Mel said.

Georgie-boy why do you say you can't?

Edited by laffi

Mel.

Yep, my vet and bayer rep say you can use Advocate and Advantix concurrently just like Mel said.

Georgie-boy why do you say you can't?

Together all at once you cant but yes, concurrently you could. Sorry my brain wasn't functioning properly last night and words were not my forte so I gave up. It would be a big outlay though and IMO better combos of products on the market.

Beachmere has a lot of stagnant water, so mozzies can be a problem.

I use Advocate once a month, a tapewormer every 3 months, and Bruno wears a tick & flea collar permanantly. Does fine.

which collar do you use? I used one for a little more then a week but I just couldn't handle the smell of it :thumbsup:

No product does everything yet.

I use Advantix for fleas/ticks.

Proheart for heartworm (do not trust any of the top spots for worming)

Drontal/Propantal/Paratac plus for all worms (they also do the hydatid tape worms)

Proheart comes in a yearly injection too. More money up front, but think it works out just as much for monthly.

Proban tablets (Ticks): have to be given every 2nd day at roughly the same time each day to be effective.