Schutzhund Training

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it had more to do with only certain breeds being eligible to compete and there being age restrictions on when dogs could gain titles. (aswell as some of the reasons you listed).

After all GSD is the most popular breed in Australia, rottie is another VERY popular breed.

Where are they? certainly not at the IPO clubs....

Do breeders encourage, ohhh let me word it differently, do breeders inform buyers of such clubs?

I somehow doubt it...

From what I understand there has been great debate over a long period of time with ANKC affiliated clubs such as GSDCA recognising Sch. To some in GSDCA Sch. is a dirty word. To others, like myself, it is not. It is a wonderful sport. I just get very very sad indeed at the rubbish and misunderstandings that goes on about Sch. I think Nekhbet said it all, though. BTW, does everyone know that a woman from Australia has recently trialled her amazing GSD in Sch trials over in Germany and done very creditably indeed. That's a WOMAN!!!!!!!!! It's not just a sport for men at all :(

Mr Murphy passed away some time ago. Claudia is on another forum I am on.

does everyone know that a woman from Australia has recently trialled her amazing GSD in Sch trials over in Germany and done very creditably indeed. That's a WOMAN!!!!!!!!! It's not just a sport for men at all

Yes the kollenbergs have done well....

a woman from Australia has recently trialled her amazing GSD in Sch trials over in Germany and done very creditably indeed. That's a WOMAN!!!!!!!!! It's not just a sport for men at all

I have been to my local Dog Sport club and am having a fantastic time. The people are fantastic! ...and I have to say, the majority of handlers that i have met so far are, yay, women. I apologise for my ignorance. :rolleyes:

Please bear with me, I am still trying to figure out how to operate these forum thingys.....

Edited by darthgsd

• 2 weeks later...
darthgsd what club are you training at?...goodluck with it.

They are a great team, the results show on the scoreboard.

I am at Illawarra and District Schutzhund Club. I am learning SO much. I have seen a distinct difference in the attitude of my GSD toward Schutzhund training compared to the Obedience Club I was in. He is a happier, more relaxed dog now. I am a happier handler knowing that my dog is a happier and a more fulfilled dog.

The advice and support i have so far recieved from this club is excellent. That there is such a political argument happening between the ANKC against Schutzhund training seems ridiculous to me. My GSD is a mixture of both working and show lines. His temperment is amazing. Dangerous Dogs are a result of Schutzhund???? What nonsense. just last weekend my GSD attended a picnic with a hundred children under 5 and had no problem with them crawling all over him! We are in the early stages of our Schutzhund training ( I need as much training as he does!), and he may not ever become a dog that achieves all, if any, of the IPO awards, but I have no doubt that my dog is receiving a type of training that will keep him sane and happy.

I will definitely be spreading the GOOD word about Schutzhund/Dogsport! :mad

• 1 month later...
What systems/strategies are currently in place now to avoid the rogue cowboy-type individuals who abuse what training they receive at these clubs?

They dont let the "cowboys" join...I have never known of any innapropriate persons being allowed to train at any of the AUS affiliated clubs.....so if there are its news to me.

Bryan Haus Mecki, a Malinois and his handler Reg Worth, Queensland Policeman did well at the World Championships in France - scored 253 in IPO. This was against the top SchH handlers.

Reg Worth is a Canine Development Officer not a Police Officer, yes Bryan Vom Haus Mecki did very well overseas, but i guess i have to say that :eek: seeing as one of his pups is in my avatar :rofl:.

I have to say that Reg Worth is one of the most down to earth people I have ever met. I cannot imagine him letting any cowboys slip through. From what I understand he started with his dog Cain all those years ago, Learn't the skills from base level and took the time to fully understand the breed and the art of Shultzen. He built his reputation over years of hard work and study. I would describe him as an Intelligent, Modest, quietly spoken guy who really knows his stuff. This is the sort of folks you want running this type of Sport IMO.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread up again.

I do not do Schutzhund, I'd like to but it would require changing breeds! But I have trained my Border Collie in obedience, schutzhund style. I think something that IPO/schutzhund clubs could to do further promote the sport is to allow breeds that aren't officially allowed to compete to train with the club, even if it is only in obedience or tracking. I recently inquired about joining a club in Brisbane but was informed that due to my dog's breed I wouldn't be able to. I personally would love to train with an IPO club as I have a high drive dog who works well using IPO type training methods... instead I have to train at a club that encourages the complete opposite - inhibiting the dog's drive rather than encouraging it. Perhaps IPO/Schutzhund clubs should become less selective about breeds but definitely remain very selective about the actual handlers/members.

While i was overseas i went to a shutz comp and clubs training it was very interesting to me, the sleeve was used very much like a tug toy when the dog did it rigth the sleeve was release and the dog got to run around with his trophy, couldnt care less about the pakwerker (spelling could be wrong)