How Often Do You Worm Your Dogs?

How often do you worm your dogs?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you worm your dogs?

• Every month
    • Every 3 months
    • When they have worms
    • Never

There are still people that worm themselves regularly, despite there being no recomendation for it from any national health body (that I am aware of). Generally if you have worms you will know it!

And the mebendazole that most people use only treats threadworm anyway, which you are much more likely to get from another person than your dog.

I have to say I do my dogs 3 monthly but only because I have foster dogs coming and going, I used to do my girl once or twice a year and she's never had worms. I would think it would depend on how much contact with other dogs the animal has, but the wormers will only treat current infection, not prevent future ones.

Once a month with Sentinel Spectrum as it covers the dogs for heartworm.

Me too - I couldn't live with myself if just coz I missed the worming (ie: did them every 12mths etc) that my dead dog was my fault :mad

Both of my dogs are on Sentinel Spectrum as well. Better safe than sorry.

so.. do all brands and types of wormer protect against the worms? or just get rid of any that are in their body?

so much speculation on it all when i try to research on the net!

so.. do all brands and types of wormer protect against the worms? or just get rid of any that are in their body?

so much speculation on it all when i try to research on the net!

The treatment is in and out of the body within 12hrs, so it wipes out existing worms but does nothing for residual efffect.

At the moment because of fosters, i do it every 3 months for intestinal and every month for heartworm for one.

Before that i done it about 3 times a year. Once this last girl goes i will be going back to that.

Fleas i havent done in ages, dogs dont have fleas so no need to flea them.

Vaccinations i wont be doing anymore, this year will probably be the last one.

ETA: I am talking about MY dogs, fosters have everything done to them :rofl:

Edited by tollersowned

Ollie used to get wormed every month and heart worm injection once a year.

But since he has cancer, he is only wormed each six months (he has no contact with other dogs and all his food is cooked) and he no longer has the heart worm treatment (on the vets advice).

The vet said he just does not need it and only to worm him if I see that he has them - I have never noticed any worms.

Jodie

Guest Amy Rose

I'm the same with the majority when it comes to worming, and I wash in flea shampoo if my dog gets itchy (I've never seen fleas on him). I don't let him eat poo if I can help it, and I prepare all his food personally, so the chances of him getting worms in the first place are slim.

Our dogs are wormed (intestinal) twice a year (every 6 months) except puppies who are done more often.

Heartworm treatment is monthly.

Flea treatment is done when needed.

I am considering putting Caber onto Sentinal Spectrum but haven't deicded yet.

My vet in France worms his dogs only twice a year as he believes worming them more often is unnecessary...

I therefore do the same.

Heartworm treatment every 4-5 weeks... (I figure hearworms don't know how to count to 30 so 40 or 45 should do the trick :provoke:

(no heartworm in France so had to follow consensus :confused: )

Heart worm vaccination once a year, and I don't use any commercial or chemical wormers - just paw paw or papaya seeds in her food. It must be a preventative as well, 'cause I can't say I've seen any for a long, long time... (thank god! eeew!) :(

OK then stupid question how do you know they have worms, just look in the poo like you do with kids?

I only worm every 3 or so months

Heartworm annually

And Advantage plus for fleas and ticks...

And vaccinations will be annually as we need to board them every now and then