Dog Ate One Of Those Meat Tray Moisture Absorbing Things

Gawd, I'm so sorry, I know there was a thread about this not long ago but for the life of me I can't find it.

My garbage guts kelpie ate one of those meat tray thingys that swell up, I had some meat thawing out and he nicked it and ate the little package too. He did throw it up later but it was torn. My fault, I KNOW what he is like and should have put it up higher, but I moved it to get something out of the fridge and left it on the sink, for ten minutes. I didn't even realise it had one in there as it was black and not visible. Should have known better.

Now he doesn't want to eat and his tummy is tender, so I think there is some sort of blockage. Will it pass and is it just a guts ache or could this stuff hurt him?

The vets will be the go tomorrow if he is no better but is there anything I can try in the meantime?

Linda

Both my GSD's have done that....not to mention my problem pup also eating a big chuck of kitty crystals!

What i did was give them a big bowl of milk with a goodly dose of cat lax - the dog will drink the milk because it's milk and will drink as much as they can fit in - which the silica crystals will soak up and the milk and catlax will help the whole lot pass thru. I did run this past my vet and he was happy with it - but if you are unsure always check with your vet first.

A friend's dog (Labrador) apparently did this. Not sure what the swallowed object was . . .could have been foam rubber . . . could have been a meat absorber thingy. He developed a blockage and all the symptoms (vomiting, wretching, obvious discomfort) and got put into emergancy. They put a barium tracer through him and Xrayed hourly to try and find where the blockage was (the thing didn't show up well on Xray). It eventually passed without surgery, but I'm sure the vet bill was horrid.

yup - Lana did this once... she is big on the scrounging through the rubish thing and someone accidentaly put a soaky thing into the recycling which is easy access for a determined pooch - watched her etc but she didnt seem to have any side effects - no idea what is in them though! was very worried at the time...

I was the one that post the thread last time and my vet said that big dogs - no worries, they will pass it fine. Small dogs - could cause a problem so best to go to the vet as the absortion stuff can expand and cause a blockage.... GOOD LUCK :laugh:

I would hate to have a dog that ate everything they could...

:mad:) :) ;)

:):):crazy: :cool: :clap: my OH remembers your sig as the chick with the dog that had towels coming out his back-side!!

:love::eek:

Seriously though... there is poison in those things aswell.. if it's come up "torn" i'd be straight to the vet..

if we as humans can't defrost it with it in, then dog forbid what it's doing inside ur dogs tummy :laugh:

call your after hours vet ASAP i think. i would.

I would hate to have a dog that ate everything they could...

:mad:) :) ;)

:):):crazy: :cool: :clap: my OH remembers your sig as the chick with the dog that had towels coming out his back-side!!

:love::eek:

I jinxed myself :laugh:

Had a shower and he chewed my phone and tore my jeans. I really do give up !!

anyone want a bull Terrier??

ETA: I will pay you to take him, might work out cheaper for me! :D

Edited by Terrorbull

Seriously though... there is poison in those things aswell.. if it's come up "torn" i'd be straight to the vet..

if we as humans can't defrost it with it in, then dog forbid what it's doing inside ur dogs tummy :laugh:

Really? :mad I didn't know we were supposed to remove those things before defrosting. I've always defrosted with them in the bottom of the tray. I haven't killed anyone off yet :) How did you find out that they need to be removed before defrosting? They should come with a warning on the pack if they are dangerous....please educate me about them.

Really? :mad I didn't know we were supposed to remove those things before defrosting. I've always defrosted with them in the bottom of the tray. I haven't killed anyone off yet :) How did you find out that they need to be removed before defrosting? They should come with a warning on the pack if they are dangerous....please educate me about them.

because i did this once.. went a tiny bit over defrost (outside of meat cooked).. 12am was vomiting my stomache up (blood and all) - went into emergency i explained to them what my day consisted of.. they stopped me at dinner prep.. YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THOSE SQUARES, They are highly toxic!!! :) OH was vomiting and real sick, not as bad as myself.

so needless to say.. we ALWAYS!! take them out now. Everything has it.. burrito packets ask you to remove them aswell!!

they keep food fresh, but the microwave releases the toxins into the food.

i guess it's how your brought up aswell. We NEVER defrost in fridge as this passes on bacteria, bacteria lives in your fridge aswell so this also grows while it's sitting in your fridge.. if it's on a shelf the juices from the defrosting meat drips down into your other foods more so the vegies into their bag, or what not.

There is a health website out there.. there was an add recently also emphasing not to leave uncooked/defrostings meats in the fridge.

I've been brougt up with strict food hygene. My tummy isn't accustom to any other way.. I pay the price if i meats/ foods aren't fresh. Not saying your food isn't fresh (can't think of correct term).

For example i can't eat left overs 2days or older.. i'll be visiting Mr.Toilet man all night. fruits & vegies same deal.

My OH is the same. Just about everything gets fridged, meats are in freezer obviously, but we defrost on a plate, remove "freshness" thingy.

No wounder my heart my breed is a Great Dane :laugh::mad

i guess it's how your brought up aswell. We NEVER defrost in fridge as this passes on bacteria, bacteria lives in your fridge aswell so this also grows while it's sitting in your fridge.. if it's on a shelf the juices from the defrosting meat drips down into your other foods more so the vegies into their bag, or what not.

There is a health website out there.. there was an add recently also emphasing not to leave uncooked/defrostings meats in the fridge.

I've been brougt up with strict food hygene. My tummy isn't accustom to any other way.. I pay the price if i meats/ foods aren't fresh. Not saying your food isn't fresh (can't think of correct term).

For example i can't eat left overs 2days or older.. i'll be visiting Mr.Toilet man all night. fruits & vegies same deal.

My OH is the same. Just about everything gets fridged, meats are in freezer obviously, but we defrost on a plate, remove "freshness" thingy.

No wounder my heart my breed is a Great Dane :D :)

Everything is kept in covered containers in the fridge here. No juices dripping on anything. With a frost free fridge, anything left uncovered dries out and is inedible.

Irrespective of your idea of food hygiene, no one has ever suffered food poisoning here or needed to spend half the night in the toilet ;)

It's common sense to eat food when it's fresh or as fresh as you can. Fruit and vegies are kept in cool rooms for long periods of time so unless you grow your own, they're not so fresh when you buy them.

It is quite safe to keep food products in a fridge set at the correct temperature. I don't eat meat but those in my family who do haven't ever come to any harm. They don't like meat defrosted in the microwave because they say it alters the texture.

BTW that ad said to defrost meat in the fridge not leave it to defrost on the kitchen bench.

Dunno what the Great Dane has to do with it though :confused: .

Danes are sensitive eaters, just like me! :confused:

I have known some shockers around me who.. eeek i won't even post on a publuc forum, but has left me ill for days.

I know you can defrost in fridge (no longer than 4hrs though), we never have, so i wouldn't try now. My tummy is accustom, like i said, to how i was brought up.

I know some people who have eaten pizza the next day while it was left out over night on bench.. left cooked meals in pot on stove over night etc.. never been ill... i eat the same shite, i'd be in hospital.. diff people, diff stomaches.

Was just letting you know some info.. like everything in here take it or leave it.

ETA: anyway..

what's happened to the owner & poochy???? hope all is well???

Edited by nuttyboutdoggys