Greyhounds

6,646 posts in this topic

Rebanne   

well why not, everyone else is doing it so the greyhounds should as well :rofl:

off and running

medium.jpg

Rebanne   

I'll keep talking to myself until someone else comes along :angel:

GAP Vic had a fantastic promotion day on Saturday when 25 - 30 GAP greys and their people descended onto the city streets of Melbourne. Then on Sunday they got about 10 minutes of air time on 3AW

Go GAP :rofl:

Daisy   

Hi Rebanne :cry:

I know we already have a greyhound photo thread where everyone is putting up their photos, but maybe everyone would like to introduce their greys here.

I have two, Clyde is a 6 year old spotty boy (white with black spots - when I took him to the vet for his vaccination recently a little girl was convinced he was a dalmation :rofl:). Clyde had a succesful racing career (6 wins and numerous placings I believe) but broke his wrist so had to go :laugh: He was on the waiting list for CGAS when I told Paula I was ready to foster a greyhound. We were just in the nick of time, Paula phoned his owner who needed the space for another dog and had decided to 'get rid of him' the very next day. I think Clyde was at my place for about a week when he became my first foster failure :)

Ryan is a two year old red fawn who was rescued from Hawkesbury Pound. He had been dumped at the pound by his owner along with 3 other young greys. Thankfully due to some good luck and a mammoth and frantic effort they all went into rescue! Whiney (gotta love his nickname) was in very poor condition when he arrived here, I have never seen a greyhound so thin. He is only tiny for a boy, and because he is so pretty as well everyone assumes he is a girl :angel:

Looking forward to reading some more greyhound stories here :laugh:

Edited by Daisy

gapvic   

Wonderful to see a greyhound specific forum! Thanks Anne, we did have a good promo on Saturday. People were amazed to see how relaxed the dogs were as the trams came clanging past. Well done to jensgreys too for getting onto 3AW. Have already had a couple of applications come in as a result.

I won't name my own greyhounds as we have lots LOL :-).

Larissa

gapvic   

ps - one of my greys, Maddie, is racing at Geelong today :-). Her race name is Lindy Hop.

Rebanne   
Wonderful to see a greyhound specific forum! Thanks Anne, we did have a good promo on Saturday. People were amazed to see how relaxed the dogs were as the trams came clanging past. Well done to jensgreys too for getting onto 3AW. Have already had a couple of applications come in as a result.

Larissa

That's greyt news Larissa. Lets hope one of them wants Gemma. She looks so sweet and shy.

Didn't you say somewhere that GAP has 70 greys all ready to go into their new homes?

Daisy   
ps - one of my greys, Maddie, is racing at Geelong today :-). Her race name is Lindy Hop.

ooh I love her racing name, big dance fan here :cry: Hope she does well!. If anyone is racing their greys at Goulburn please let me know, I would love to go and watch. CBL's boy was racing here on Saturday but I was away for the day :angel:

Although I own two greys and have fostered a few I have never been to a race :rofl: Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a fee to go in and watch?

Edited by Daisy

Rebanne   
Although I own two greys and have fostered a few I have never been to a race :rofl: Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a fee to go in and watch?

I had never been to a race either until I got my 1st grey Sam, then I thought I should see what he used to do :angel: Most places it costs $3 or $4. Well, thats all it costs here.

ETA it can be beautiful to watch or it can be awful. If there is a fall it makes you feel real bad, but when you see how much they love it you understand why your own grey loves to run.

Sam could hear the races from our backyard and he often stood there listening. As much as he loved us and his couch, if he could have raced as well he would have thought he was in heaven.

Edited by Rebanne

gapvic   

I wanted to call her Jitterbug but it was already taken :-). She dances around all over the place, so Lindy Hop was a great alternative and we love the name. We were going to call her sister, Magic, "Jive Magic" but she was too slow to race. I think it might be $10 to get into the city tracks, but as Anne said, it's much cheaper for the country tracks. Worth going along one day if you've never been. It's lovely to see just how much the dogs love to race.

That's right Anne, we currently have around 70 greyhounds, of which half are ready for adoption right now :-).

Hi all,

I have 2 GAP dogs and am volunteer foster coordinator for GAP QLD.

Patch arrived as a foster late last year and just walked into the house and declared it home!

She has been such a good dog, putting up with an endless stream of fosters and going to all the promos with me.

We have now got Rocky - not officially ours but am working on that....

He is a gorgeous dog, but there is not much upstairs :rofl:

Our cat has accepted him well, though he still gives poor Patch grief whenever he can.

Going to the track is something everyone should do, especially those people who have the opinion that racing is "cruel"

Seeing them run flat out is amazing and one of the best things about having greys is watching their joy when they do zoomies at the park and just run for the hell of it.

For those following the Seymour Greys thread, Wally/Moe looked like he wasn't going to be cat safe for a bit but the foster carer has worked with him and he is doing well with the kitties now :angel:

CBL   
Maddie came second :-)

I am rather embarrassed to admit our boy ran last :scared: But he had a really rough time (and it was only his second race ever), got smashed but still kept running, while the place was disappointing, he actually ran well.

His race name is 'Up to Scratch' and his kennel name is 'Tee' - stupid name - I am thinking Teddy is an alternative. He is a total sweetheart - I gave him pats the whole way to and from the track and even when we went to the fence to wish him luck before the race he just about lept over the fence for pats :)

I told hubby we have to find space on our couch when he finishes racing ;)

gapvic   

At least he got around safely. Fingers crossed he has an easier go next time. Maiden races can be so rough :-(.

imy   

Well, you probably all know my boys.

Gingko (airbourne x witchy teeth) 32kg Black and white spotty lad with black mask. He was never raced. Picked up from Pearcedale RSPCA at age 18months by a lady and then came to me. He was surrendered with the information "lives in a box" "wasn't fast enough" which was true... when he came to us, he ran like a spider in a bath and was sooo spooky. Now he's just my big goofy boy.

Radar (Odnoc Throttle) (odnoc x trousers (from memory :scared: )) 37kg Black boy with white thin blaze on chest and pointy uppy ears! Came to us after spending 11 months with Paula CGAS. Was rescued from Canberra pound (I think!) and did race once upon a time. He came 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The sunday after his 3rd he was in the pound. I am guessing he hurt his toe racing because he has a limp when he puts on weight and occasionally pops it out when he runs hard. Maybe it was some other reason, I dunno. He has an old head on his shoulders and is my sensible, serious boy... but gets stoopid sometimes too!

Both are living together happily (though Radar is a bit jealous when they run and Gingks is winning) and also live happily with the cat and fosters I drag in from the cold.

;)

I didn't get to name either of them but I think their names suit so I didn't change them when I adopted them :)

PS congrats on the 2nd place and bummer about the not so speedy maiden.

Edited by imy

CBL   
At least he got around safely. Fingers crossed he has an easier go next time. Maiden races can be so rough :-(.

Yep I was worried - he had never been with a full field before or over that distance and apart from a scratch on the inside of his leg he pulled up brilliantly - barely puffing (but did have a good snooze on the way home). If he had railed when he had a tussle with another dog instead of pushing outside he probably would have run third.

They are backing him up this afternoon, unfortunately we can't make it to the track but will watch it on TV or head down to the TAB.

My concern is always that they get around the track without an injury - I am not too concerned if they come first or last :scared:

CBL   

He just ran 4th :scared: We are happy - he got beaten by a long way but he makes a final out of it.

Given he only raced on Saturday I think he did well. I am proud :)

Rebanne   
He just ran 4th ;) We are happy - he got beaten by a long way but he makes a final out of it.

Given he only raced on Saturday I think he did well. I am proud ;)

it's all good experience :rofl:

I doubt I could ever race a dog who I had personally but good luck to those that do. I know there are some greys who are/have been shown and then take up a racing career. I'm sure Fern would love a chance to race, she is so keen, but if she was fast enough is another thing :) Plus she's not racing bred so don't know what the GRV would say to that :scared:

CBL   

He just ran 4th ;) We are happy - he got beaten by a long way but he makes a final out of it.

Given he only raced on Saturday I think he did well. I am proud ;)

it's all good experience :rofl:

I doubt I could ever race a dog who I had personally but good luck to those that do. I know there are some greys who are/have been shown and then take up a racing career. I'm sure Fern would love a chance to race, she is so keen, but if she was fast enough is another thing :) Plus she's not racing bred so don't know what the GRV would say to that :scared:

We dont personally train the two we have - they live at the trainers house and we see them at every oppurtunity. When we move hubby and his best mate really want to give it a go - hey its another beautiful grey for the house so I don't mind too much.

post-15392-1183371147_thumb.jpg Greyt thread Anne - I am the proud owner of 5 beautiful senior Greys, they are brindle boy our first Grey 9yr old

Tigger, little blue girl Taya our youngest 8 yrs old who we adopted 10 days after Tiggs, next Grey we adopted was a beautiful white and

blue girl Lucy who was rescued of the street and came to us all wet and smelly and never left until she passed away last just before she

turned 11 of O/S, next came big black 9yr old Hondoo, next to come was little white and black girl Princess who was rescued by Gap Vic

in a quite ordinary condition when she was 10 1/2 yrs old she was just ment to be a foster but of course we failed again, she is now over

12 yrs old and next came 9yr old Milky who came home to stay with for a few weeks until Gap Vic found someone looking for a

senior that was the 12th Nov last year and I adopted her 2 days before Christmas for hubby's chrissy present. I think that is them

all as you can see we have one 8yr old, 3 9yr olds (2 of which will be 10 yrs old in September) and one beautiful little 12yr old.

It's greyt to hear all about every one else's Greys.

Are you coming out of the wood work yet Tania?