Rebanne

Greyhounds

6,691 posts in this topic

Harry has been having a bad time.

The acupuncture was not a success with him, he was too anxious and distressed having it, so we gave up.

He deteriorated to the point that he was just sleeping, eating and going to the toilet, and even that was a problem as he wasn’t able to hold on so had to be let out as soon as he got up, or he had an accident in the house.

He was on and off, some days a bit better than others, but last week, he had more bad days than good. We took him to the vet on Wednesday, and couldn’t see the regular vet that had been treating him, so saw another. The way he was up at the vet’s (collapsing on his back legs, shaking, salivating) her opinion was that it was probably time to give him his wings. I asked her about prednisone as the regular vet had said that it may help for a time at least. Because he had been on Previcox, she said that he couldn’t have it yet. She suggested that we bring Harry back in the morning to see the regular vet.

On Thursday we called the vet and had decided that we would not take Harry in there as it stresses him so much, but asked that the regular vet come to our house on the Friday to see Harry, and see how he is at home, and whether he needed to be sent on his way, or if something could be done to help him.

On Friday morning Harry woke up, and was the best he had been for 5 – 6 days. I went home at lunchtime and hubby was there with the vet when I got there, and Harry was getting pats!! He had actually got off his bed to come and say hello to the vet!

She examined Harry, and we discussed the options. Her comment was “no dog should die without trying Prednisone”, so we went with that, putting him on Tramadol twice a day as well.

Saturday Harry still had a bad day, by Sunday he was better, and now he is back to being Harry, with his “doganality” being back. Hubby sent me a photo at work on Tuesday with him lying on his back with all legs in the air. He had not done that for a couple of months. His back legs are still wobbly, but his demeanour has changed, and he is interested in the world again.

We are so grateful to have more time with him, even if it only a short-term solution.

Thanks for letting me get it all out :)

Rebanne   

Pred is a great drug, it gave Fern more time here on earth - happy times. Huge hugs to you Flashsmum and family it is not an easy time

Thank you! We are going to love and enjoy him for as long as we have him. He's given us so much joy and laughter, we want him to be as happy and healthy as possible.

CBL   

Huge hugs! I am so glad Harry is feeling better. I love it when the oldies surprise us.

Patch has been struggling with his arthritis and has just had some weekly shots (on top of his meloxicam) and he is feeling so much better thumbsup1.gif

Hope Harry continues to feel fabulous and make you smile for a while yet smile.gif

Trishm   

I'm so glad that the pred is helping Harry, it gave my Flynn more qood quality time too !

harley   

That's great that Harry is feeling a little better, I wish you lots of happy times together xx

We said goodbye to the best Harry last night. He'd had issues with his back legs for a while. We had to give him his wings as he deteriorated quickly and his body was giving out. He possibly had a stroke or blood clot which affected him quickly. Run free beautiful boy.

HazyWal   

Oh no I'm so sorry to read this FM :cry:

You were so very loved dear Harry, now do zoomies in heaven :heart:

Maddy   

So sorry, FM :( Losing a hound is never easy but that pain is a reflection of our love for them. Run free, Harry :heart:

Hubby cancelled his registration with the council last week , and now I have to send hi Greenhound collar back. I've not been wanting to do it, which is silly, but I will do it this week. :cry:

Miss the little bugger.

CBL   

I havent been on here for ages...

We lost our beloved Patch a couple of weeks ago. It was coming for a long time but was sudden at the same time. There are no words to describe how much we miss him.

Flashsmum - we still get daily notifications on our phone for his medicine. Neither of us can delete it.

• Like 1