Rebanne

Greyhounds

6,691 posts in this topic

Maddy   

Ah, that's good to know.

I'm personally not a fan of the studded leather stuff- it looks a bit naff on my girly dogs :laugh: - so I've never bought any. Still trying to find those UK leather collars with the birds and animals painted/stamped on them, they were really pretty. 

We used to have an old guy at the local market who would custom make you whatever you wanted, but those skills seem to be less common these days.

• Like 1

Kirislin   
On 11/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, bryan_mannix said:

Aaagh.  Posted this then and then forgot I had.  Thanks for the replies.  I bought a martingale leather collar off someone on DOL for our whippet about 10 years ago but cannot remember who they were.  Thanks for the info.  I'll follow up

I think I might’ve made you one.  Was it from kangaroo hide and hand stitched? Anyway, probably irrelevant now as I’m sure you’ve got a collar by now.

You may have.  It was beautiful.. Brass fittings.  I bought a lead and collar.  And if you are still making the collars I would love another.  After a bit too much salt water the stitching came apart.

Kirislin   
23 hours ago, bryan_mannix said:

You may have.  It was beautiful.. Brass fittings.  I bought a lead and collar.  And if you are still making the collars I would love another.  After a bit too much salt water the stitching came apart.

I’m not really making them anymore. It became too hard to get the good quality heavy hides I liked using.

Taliecat   

And i hate to do this,  but its a zombie bump! :worship:

There's 12 more days until we bring Jay Bay (Jay Bae more like it) home from GAP Qld! Mr TC is already joking (maybe seriously?) that if Jay ends up picking me as his main human, Mr TC is gonna call the GAP lady back and add another grey to the household :happydance:

I've been having lots of fun reading about greyhounds and their quirks and body language.

I've ordered almost everything I can think of (so many plushies, and other destructible toys that would last all of 30 seconds when Dozer was with us) but I'm somewhat stuck on the food situation and a suitable harness for car travel and just in case of collar slippage. 

GAP feed royal canin endurance,  which goes against all my previous feeding experience with Dozer as he was allergic to almost all normal meats (fish and game only, no corn or wheat and only small amounts of legumes tolerated) and the idea of feeding kibble heavy in corn and other junk is an anathema to me.  While the best food is of course the food your dog does well on, Royal canin's ingredient list rubs me the wrong way! 

I get the feeling that greys have slightly more sensitive tummies than a gutz of an amstaff, and my gut tells me a hard swap would likely result in a poo 'splosio. I was more than willing to get a small bag to do a soft transition to a better quality food but it only comes in a 20kg bag and the feeding guide amounts are crazy! 5-7 cups per day for a 36.5kg hound :eek:  

That's gonna be a mountain of poop! 

Would the brains trust suggest sticking with a bag of endurance for the first few weeks supplemented with RMBs, and then slowly transition over to a suitably  nutrient dense kibble once the nervous tummy has settled? 

Collar and harness is another fun one.  Previously being owned by a blockhead we've never encountered the phenomenon of a dog being able to slip a collar.  

From what I can tell the GAP green collar is a martingale style, so we won't need another unless we feel like playing dress ups with pretty martingales? But we'll need some sort of tag collar in possibly a breakaway style?

I keep seeing all these pretty leather greyhound collars with a wide side and narrow at the buckle. My googling for how they work has been a bit fruitless..are these secure for a walking collar if needed?

I was looking at getting this type of harness https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/m/product/true-love-dog-harness-nylon-reflective-padded-orange-xlarge-for-dogs/10106/ with a double ended leash (one on collar one on front of harness).

Or is that overkill in most cases?

Yes, I believe I'm very excited about bringing our new friend home soon. 

• Haha 2

juice   

you can get some lovely sighthound martingales online these days, i love the leather collars too which are wider one side, can't think what they are called tho.

As far as food goes, i'd stick with what works for now.

I was of the same opinion as you about RC. but i work in a petshop and got given a bag of the Bulldog mix that came in with the bag torn. I have to say my dogs did really well on it, less poop, firm and coat gleamed.

Its very exciting!!!

Edited by juice
  • Like 2

Rebanne   

Ask GAP for a small amount of the Royal Canin, take your own container and offer to pay and then transition to what you want. Or just switch him straight over. I mix and match dry foods all the time. My barrel usually has 3 different brands mixed together and when I fill it up it's often more different brands. If I only feed dry food my 40 kilo boy only get 4 cups a day, split into 2 meals. I think the 2 meals is important.

If the QLD Gap collar is the same as the Vic one, then I don't like them. I think they don't adjust down tight enough. I prefer a proper martingale, one that needs to be adjusted each and every time to get the right fit. If you can get it on or off without adjusting then it is too loose. For everyday wear I prefer the 1inch wide ones. For fancy times I have some 1.5 inch wide with matching leads :) I don't like the 2 inch or wider ones. I don't use a harness on my dogs so can't help. The shaped leather collars are what the greys wear at the track so very secure if done up tightly just behind the ears. I used one on Warrior when we did his ET as he had to have a fitted collar. Pretty sure they are called fishtail collars. Usually only worn by sighthounds. My dogs go naked when home.

Can't wait for the photo overload :)

• Like 2

Dogsfevr   

Dont over think .
Our Greys thrived on dry food & partial raw ,no sensitive stomachs here
I feed RC to a dog here & he thrives on it ,at the end of the day it what the dog does well on not what your head always thinks .Not all dogs do great on straight raw & bones & the dog is most likely use to a very set routine ,im a believer of leaving food alone until you have have gained the trust of the dog & got into a routine .
We feed our Greys 2 meals due to them being a breed at higher risk of bloat hence why changing too many things at once can higher the stress risk of bloat .
We never used buckle leather collars as such .
I did use a soft leather collars that was a slip lead ,they where walked on them ,never had an issues ,i don't walk anything on a harness so cant help & this dog would never have been on a harness ,we just use practical sighthound collars & there readily available .I would tend to stop googling as you will just get overwhelmed .Contact the Whippet or Sighthound club in your state & see what they sell /
I dont consider Greys any higher risk at slipping there collar

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

this dog would never have been on a harness ,we just use practical sighthound collars & there readily available .I would tend to stop googling as you will just get overwhelmed

yes!!!

Taliecat   

Overthinking and knowledge gathering is kinda my jam :laugh:  Although I've barely had time to think in the Christmas madness at work ( national letter and parcel carrier that some/most love to hate ).  Now I've got a day off I've got some time to lounge in bed and write replies with a moment to make sure they make sense.

@Rebannethank you for all the wonderful information, it's a big shift in breed and once I'm being leaned on and covered in fur I'm sure all the information you've imparted to DOL over the years I've been here will start rising to the surface of ye old grey matter

@juice interesting to hear RC actually worked quite well for your crew,  maybe they've improved a little in the last 6 years . 

@Dogsfevr The best food for your dog is always the one they do best on, and with that I certainly agree.  Always been a two feed a day feeder, so that'll stay the same, but always good to consider known bloat triggers 

@asal and @Two Best Dogs! I'm very excited, greys and sighthounds in general are all so lovely and majestic dogs.   

Mr TC has been window shopping some lovely martingale collars (unsure on jays neck size) and I'm sure we'll have quite the collection.

I've been checking out sewing patterns for collars, leads and PJs. We will have a fashionable and warm hound indeed. 

Apparently the sighthound love is genetic as my Dad who wasn't a dog person loooved Afghan Hounds and admitted they were the only breed he considered over owning.  He never did get a dog though,  i guess it was hound or bust.

The first of the toys and treats arrived yesterday so it's starting to feel real. 

I promise so much photo spam from 11/1/2020!

• Like 4

ish   

Not greyhound specific advice - but RC endurance is a very high fat food for active dogs. There’s absolutely no way you’d need to feed 5-7 cups per meal for a pet greyhound :o My GSDs get about a cup each, with some raw bits & pieces. Dogs who aren’t busy get very fat very quickly on this food. 

Thats all :) Your excitement for your new dog is lovely to see. Good luck with it all 

• Like 3

Taliecat   

He's here!!

We're both enamored with him,  and think that he's the bee's knees.  I think he's a big fan of the meatballs rolled in crushed up freezedried green tripe. 

This is just after the inital meeting. He immediately peed on the pool after he'd had a drink. 

8oxVcmo.jpg

Pooped out after sniffing all the things in the heat at GAP

bb71tYN.jpg

He was such a good traveler,  laid down for almost the whole hour and ten minute drive home! 

Here he is just after we got home checking out his new yard. 

Bmd0MGb.jpg

The strange lady with the tasty treats is holding a weird thing,  i should headbutt it. 

IdnNNxf.jpg

Are these for me too?

KvDtLDD.jpg

Mr TC is very very happy. 

X4mk9Zr.jpg

Expensive dogbed has been ignored in favour of the dodgy old single foam mattress that's as old as I am. 

Uq5wuav.jpg

All pooped out from his crazy zoomies with the kong wubba.

wIkQnw5.jpg

He's very sweet boy and enjoying his bed in the aircon. 

He even let us eat maccas without supervision after being told it was not for him,  and so far has only tried to mark in the house once, and that was a cupboard where a mouse lived..

• Like 11

Just so so happy for you all.  He looks absolutely beautiful, with a naughty  spark in his eye?   Many many great times ahead.  

• Like 1

Taliecat   
23 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Just so so happy for you all.  He looks absolutely beautiful, with a naughty  spark in his eye?   Many many great times ahead.  

Thank you.  Our house feels like a home again!

I think there is indeed a cheeky spark in those eyes! 

He just followed me into the bedroom,  saw a longnecked llama toy poking out of one of the toy boxes and I swear his eyes looked as big as dinner plates! 

He took it off to his bed for a good cuddle and chew :love:

QXdnkJG.jpg

Edited by Taliecat
Carelessly forgot the photo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3