Rebanne

Greyhounds

6,710 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Taliecat said:

He took it off to his bed for a good cuddle and chew :love:

QXdnkJG.jpg

Ha!!  Already he knows that everything that is yours is his :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Taliecat said:

meatballs rolled in crushed up freezedried green tripe. 

Well, that'd seal ANY deal :love:  I am SO glad he's home :) Love the photos . he looks gorgeous ! 

• Like 1

Taliecat   

I thought I'd pop in for a mid-week update, since Jay has had a few days to settle in. 

Mr TC and I are debating changing his name since Jay sounds a lot like stay, but I mostly call him J-J so I don't think it's really necessary.

So far he's settling in much faster than we had expected.  He's now sleeping through the night without needing to go out for a wee and has been granted medium stay alone in the aircon privileges. 4-5 hours in the gap between me leaving for work and mr tc getting home, mainly because the weather is threatening to storm and we aren't sure how he'd react in the yard alone, even with 6ft colourbond fencing.

I'd much rather clean up a wee or some shredded wool than be heading to the vet with a injured dog who panicked in a storm.  

Yesterday was his first time inside alone, and he did really great.  No accidents and he only stole the flyer bobbin and yarn on my spinning wheel to add to his dragon's den of plushies. :rofl:

We've been working on bonding and nice leash manners on our short sniff and wee strolls.

Which we have the before and after:

The before "hurry up and put on pants mum!"

GQOeFRh.jpg

And the after:

mIquCV6.jpg

• Like 6

he's looking very much at home :) Also sounds as if he's learning house rules well , and that he has manners :)
photos are always welcome ;) 

• Like 1

Taliecat   

Life with Jay has settled into a rhythm. 

While I'm finishing at 10pm, Mr TC walks Jay in the morning since I should be sleeping until about 730.  Unless a certain hound decides he'll bark at me until I'm awake for no reason other than he's bored.

Jay has learnt that Mr TC putting on his shoes in the morning means he's going for his walk and Jay tries to help by throwing any shoe he can get his mouth on at Mr TC and bouncing around like a mad dog :rofl:

Looking on the brightside I suppose it'll be easish enough to capture and shape "bring me my shoes" from his helping.

We had a bit of a setback last weekend with a car backfiring and ruining Jay's confidence for a couple of days on walks, but his love for exploring and an older gentleman who he sees on his walks has helped to resolve that for us. 

Mr TC reported there was a scary loud truck and bus go past and Jay freaked out a bit but then Jays gentleman came into view and all was forgotten. 

Our cheeky boy has pretty mastered sit and wait for dinner at Mr TC insistence on the sit part (despite my urging that drop and wait would be easier), and this is transitioning to nice door manners too.

RCs feeding guide did turn out to be a ridiculous amount after all,  he gets about a cup of kibble in the morning, a frozen kong of raw mix and yoghurt when I leave for work and another cup of kibble with 150g of meat, a couple of spoonfuls of plain greek yogurt and either an egg or half a tin of sardines for dinner. 

So far we've trialled natures goodness (not his fave, was left over in the kibble bin from Dozer), BH lamb and rice, Pet Food Australian's hemp oil mixed protein kibble and has a bag of the MFM Bacon and Egg kibble for weekends.  I think we'll probably end up with a mix of the Pet Food Australian one and something else but time will tell. 

I'm lucky enough to live very close to Canine Country's location and every petshop I've walked into has their frozen raw tubes. Super convenient for us and really great pricing for an extra. 

Greys are a very different speed of dog, that's for sure and it's been lovely to not have food allergies to worry about.  

• Like 3

Rebanne   

all sound good TC! FWIW mine would not take kindly to a car backfiring or an extra loud large vehicle. My 3 have all gone on the green beans diet :rofl: I was having trouble feeling their ribs - oops!

• Haha 1

Great update, @Taliecat, I did giggle at the shoe-throwing ..and how nice to have made a friend!  but you forgot photos! Must've just slipped your mind...easy enough :P 
:whip:

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Taliecat   

@Rebanne I haven't found anything he won't eat yet haha, I'll have to be mindful of him enjoying all the new foods too much. 

The real estate finally fixed our screen doors so once it's cooled down a little Jay can watch the buses and other scary things go by from the front room to get used to the noise,  but he recovered far better than I expected! 

@persephone whoops, totally slipped my mind!

Our first park trip

l0fWH7q.jpg

NZVmUZT.jpg

Just chilling with the only snuffle mat I will ever make.

3NNIjzX.jpg

Chilling with all the contents of the toybox I'd changed over 5 minutes before

7TcxBZc.jpg

Perfecting the sad hound eyes for my banana and pb on toast (spoiler: he got a small portion once he settled and ignored my food)

htFjEa2.jpg

S4aHFuk.jpg

Playing fetch with Mr TC this afternoon while I'm at the office for another 4 hours still. For some reason I can't embed the videos

https://imgur.com/a/EOt5eEr

https://i.imgur.com/gFqNnIv.gifv

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

He has really landed on his feet - he looks really happy :)  Sighthounds are special magical creatures indeed - super intelligent in their own special way :)

• Like 2

Loving the vids and photos :):) he looks to be enjoying life ,and has just settled in ...

• Like 2

Taliecat   

Jay has well and truly started to settle in!

We've been on many small adventures and he's won the hearts of both the in-laws and the grand parents along with every person he's mooched pats from. 

He's looking very healthy indeed,  but we'll be taking a trip to the local chiropractor who is known for working miracles with old injuries as I think the hip injury that retired him is flaring up a little as zoomies have dropped off a bit.

hcSWnhu.jpg

Home walks this morning 

BWOSMcl.jpg

Long car rides are the perfect time to contemplate the world

OMx5TrT.jpg

Jay took his first trip to the pet shop today,  and got to pick his own toy.  Definitely rate this one a 10/10. crinkle wings,  lots of textures and a quiet squeaker.

fHcle5t.jpg

• Like 7

Taliecat   

He is truly a pleasure to know,  and I don't think Mr TC and I have laughed as much as we have in the last month in a long time. 

It's not uncommon to hear Mr TC laughing delightedly while Jay plays with a new toy, and for me to glance back at Jay in the car and start giggling because he's got his head out the window gums and tongue flapping in the breeze. 

He's the cheekiest boy and has developed a bad habit of raiding the counters for ripe bananas which he'll scarf down skin and all.  I was worried the first time because of blockages and the like but the poo the next day was the best I've seen :rofl:

The hiding place for bananas now changes weekly. 

Training progress is slow in a traditional sense, down and sit have been shelved until we can confirm that his hips aren't bothering him but he's a champ at waiting politely for his dinner, and is learning lovely leash manners and other token things like laying nicely for his pawdicure and massage and letting the humans through doors without bowling us over.

Eta:

Now that I've said Zoomies have died off and I thought Jay's hip might be bothering him he just did the most magnificent zooming around the back yard when I was expecting a slow game of fetch.  

Edited by Taliecat
Because Greys are quite contrary .

2 hours ago, Taliecat said:

bad habit of raiding the counters for ripe bananas

:rofl:

It's great to read that he is filling the house with joy . :love: 

• Like 1