Toilet Break For 6 Month Old Pup?

Poodle wrangler

My almost 10week pup,only goes once during the night, first it was at 4am, then it was at 5am, then it was at 6am and last night he slept right through. The first couple of nights though I was taking him out much more, ...just in case...and he would wee...but now he wakes and sits waiting for me to take him out (doesn't cry, but Mum always has one ear open!), any other wakings is just to change sleeping positions and I've learnt to sleep right through these.

He doesn't sleep in a crate but in a doggy bed next to mine and is confined to that room only for the night, during the day he is kept out of the bedroom.

I'm needing to go to the toilet more than him at the moment, I'm hopeless, I can never hold all night! :)

I think each dog is different, regardless of size, and you may have yourself a couple of sleepless nights at first while things adjust.

Sounds like all the dogs you get have remarkable bladder control but not much said on their behaviour, toilet traning dogs is one of the easiest things to assosiate if done correctly. I am still dumfounded why so many people have this problem in their dogs. Obviously they are still getting the wrong advice what do you thnink?

My guess is that behaviour is not being discussed in this thread because it's about whether or not the pup can hold on all night and not about behaviour.

My question to the OP is, has this pup been inside and house trained during the day? Since he's been outside at night since he was a baby puppy I doubt he will hold it all night. You'll probably have to get up and take him out at least once. If he's never been house trained then it's pretty certain he won't hold it.

My dogs are all inside dogs and they have access to outside 24/7. They have all slept through the night from about 16 weeks of age. At that age if they need to pee they take themselves out.

Both dogs are generally inside when we're home, without accidents, so I'd say he was housetrained. He'll go to the door to be let outside.

I'd take him out regularly for toileting as a younger pup and think he knew what "Wee wee" meant: After a while he'd look to me as he started to wee, as if waiting for me to say, "Good dog" (?) :eek: . He also cried b4 weeing in the back of the car (I couldn't pull over safely in sufficient time :rofl:. Learned my lesson ).

Thanks for the help :) .

Sounds like all the dogs you get have remarkable bladder control but not much said on their behaviour, toilet traning dogs is one of the easiest things to assosiate if done correctly. I am still dumfounded why so many people have this problem in their dogs. Obviously they are still getting the wrong advice what do you thnink?

Because perhaps each dog is an indivdual and they come into their own in their own time. I guess some people do get given dodgy advice though.

Our pup (5 months currently) could go the whole night (10ish until 7am) without toileting from about 3 months I think. She has newspaper in there just in case.

Our other dog was terrible. She pooped and peed inside overnight until about 6months.

Wow! so envious of these people with puppies that have such good bladders, our adult dog Maxi was an outside dog for the first couple of years but slept in the garage during winter and she's been sleeping inside for the past 4 years and we've only ever had one accident. Our little staffy Bundy, 6 months old tomorrow, is a shocker even though we've been taking him outside regularly to go to the toilet, we praise him, his toilet phrase is 'poos and wees' (off BroTown cartoon) and i take him out a couple of times during the night. He generally wakes me at about 1am and 5am but sometimes it's after he's already done a poo inside but I don't know so I'm standing out in the cold waiting for him to go. Fingers crossed that he learns to hold it all night very soon.

Problem Child still had problems at 6 months at 20 kilos.. baby gates and no where nice to pee solved the problem she just used the cat door at about 5am the last wee stop was when I went to bed at 11pm..

I just ended up having a glass of milk or green tea at bedtime and was up to wee at 5am and let her out... worked for both of us..

Anytime I woke in the early hours I would demand that she went out and came back in within the time that it took me to do what I had to do..

SHE IS FINALLY HOUSETRAINED.. AT 22 KILOS OF BOOF....

Snoops is 7 months, and usually needs to pee about 2am. We take turns in letting him out, and he's only ever out for 2 minutes (far too cold to stay out longer :mad )

At least he makes a noise now, rather than leaving his little pressies just in front of the door.