Jump to content
Roux

Italian Greyhounds

5,296 posts in this topic

Kirislin   
On 28/04/2019 at 6:02 PM, stellnme said:

Beautiful little darlings.  I so miss my Italian Greyhound girl. :(

Get another one.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stellnme   
19 hours ago, Kirislin said:

Get another one.

Hopefully soon. I adopted mine as an old dog when she needed a new home.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough time with her.  Just got to get through a few life  events first and I will be looking for another girl in the same situation .  Once you've had one, you have to have another. :)

Edited by stellnme
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kirislin   
6 hours ago, stellnme said:

Hopefully soon. I adopted mine as an old dog when she needed a new home.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough time with her.  Just got to get through a few life  events first and I will be looking for another girl in the same situation .  Once you've had one, you have to have another. :)

I always admire those kind people like you who are willing to take on an older dog, knowing your time together will be limited.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, long time since I've visited DOL :o So my partner wants a little dog, I want a greyhound, so an iggy seems like a reasonable dog for us. :laugh: 

It would mainly be a companion for him, as I often take the big dogs away and leave boyfriend  home alone.  

 

My dogs do lure coursing and I'd love for future iggy to give that a go too.  Are there any breeders who breed a more athletic / robust type of iggy that would enjoy some activity but mainly snoozing ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, Esky the husky said:

Hey all, long time since I've visited DOL :o So my partner wants a little dog, I want a greyhound, so an iggy seems like a reasonable dog for us. :laugh: 

It would mainly be a companion for him, as I often take the big dogs away and leave boyfriend  home alone.  

 

My dogs do lure coursing and I'd love for future iggy to give that a go too.  Are there any breeders who breed a more athletic / robust type of iggy that would enjoy some activity but mainly snoozing ?

I'd recommend a whippet for an inexperienced sighthound owner and for someone who wants to do lure coursing and have a more robust type of dog.  Some whippets come in at 12 or so kilos (Iggy Rescue just rehomed one). Break an Iggy's leg and it's around $7,000 to fix, easily done

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, Esky the husky said:

Hey all, long time since I've visited DOL :o So my partner wants a little dog, I want a greyhound, so an iggy seems like a reasonable dog for us. :laugh: 

It would mainly be a companion for him, as I often take the big dogs away and leave boyfriend  home alone.  

 

My dogs do lure coursing and I'd love for future iggy to give that a go too.  Are there any breeders who breed a more athletic / robust type of iggy that would enjoy some activity but mainly snoozing ?

Hi Esky

There are now a number of IG's Lure Coursing around the country and there are also a number of the hardy European lines about. 

I would suggest contacting Shantiah IG's and Claire can point you in the right direction.

If you want a glimpse of what they can so, google the European Lure Coursing Championships, they are amazing little creatures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WreckitWhippet said:

Hi Esky

There are now a number of IG's Lure Coursing around the country and there are also a number of the hardy European lines about. 

I would suggest contacting Shantiah IG's and Claire can point you in the right direction.

If you want a glimpse of what they can so, google the European Lure Coursing Championships, they are amazing little creatures.

Thanks, I had the pleasure of meeting a bunch at a coursing meeting in Bendigo last month. That was pretty exciting as I've never seen one come out in SA .

 

To the people that have suggested whopper my boyfriend is pretty adamant about having a small dog I think 12kg+ Is pushing it. I'll make sure he gets pet insurance or has enough in savings for any mishaps. If it ends up being too risky the dog doesn't need to course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, Esky the husky said:

Thanks, I had the pleasure of meeting a bunch at a coursing meeting in Bendigo last month. That was pretty exciting as I've never seen one come out in SA .

 

To the people that have suggested whopper my boyfriend is pretty adamant about having a small dog I think 12kg+ Is pushing it. I'll make sure he gets pet insurance or has enough in savings for any mishaps. If it ends up being too risky the dog doesn't need to course

I was talking to Shantiah this morning and she said to get in touch. She had quite a few that would Lure Course back when the Afghan Club were running LC in NSW and this included Pirate, litter brother of Dogmad's Diamond. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kirislin   
On 19/06/2019 at 1:36 PM, Esky the husky said:

Thanks, I had the pleasure of meeting a bunch at a coursing meeting in Bendigo last month. That was pretty exciting as I've never seen one come out in SA .

 

To the people that have suggested whopper my boyfriend is pretty adamant about having a small dog I think 12kg+ Is pushing it. I'll make sure he gets pet insurance or has enough in savings for any mishaps. If it ends up being too risky the dog doesn't need to course

I wonder if you saw Marcus’s IGs run. His little Whippet is often the test dog, although I think from now on she will compete.  I think Liz Monaghan’s are doing well too.  Sending you a PM

Edited by Kirislin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stellnme   

My two new tiny girls have just passed their trial period with me through Iggy Rescue and have decided they are staying.  They are 9 years old and have had a rough life before being taken into care.  Their foster carer has done an amazing job with them to get them housetrained, vet worked and healthy and they are cuddly little sweethearts, who are enjoying life's comforts in my home.

m and n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kirislin   
5 hours ago, stellnme said:

My two new tiny girls have just passed their trial period with me through Iggy Rescue and have decided they are staying.  They are 9 years old and have had a rough life before being taken into care.  Their foster carer has done an amazing job with them to get them housetrained, vet worked and healthy and they are cuddly little sweethearts, who are enjoying life's comforts in my home.

m and n.jpg

Congratulations!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stellnme...instant family :) how wonderful!!  two very lucky and beautiful girls . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stellnme   
1 hour ago, persephone said:

stellnme...instant family :) how wonderful!!  two very lucky and beautiful girls . 

Their big brother (not an Italian) is a bit confused having two girls land at his place, but he's a good big brother!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beltar   

Hi stellnme,

 

Awww, so lovely to see your two gorgeous little girls, they are just beautiful.  :love:

How lucky they are to have found such a warm, caring home with you and their big brother.

 

Sending lots of pats and smooches, and licks and cuddles from my iggies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×