Paralysis Ticks!

Ems

We live in Sydney but on a National Park and my little 7 month old Staffie seams to be constantly covered in paralysis ticks!

We obviously check him everyday and have been using Frontline spray (which clearly does not work!!)

I am yet to try Advantix but just wondering if anyone has any proven solutions???

I am so nervous that one day we are going to miss one on him!!!

Also just out of interest I am SO surprised that with medical technology nowadays that there isn't a vaccination against these Bas@ards!!!!

I wonder how many dogs die a year from ticks?? Does anyone know anything about vaccinations or tests or anything at all that is been done about this???

Thanks!!!

Paralysis ticks are bad in parts of Qld, luckily there aren't any out west where I live. When I lived in a paralysis tick area, I sprayed the yard and the dog with Malaban. It's a sheep mulesing spray, which works as a repellant to any insects. It is safe to use, and once you spray your yard, you wont see as much as a flea for at least 3 months.

I live in FNQ and it's still 'high' danger for paralysis ticks up here.

I use the killtick/preventix (sp?) collars (whichever is available) and they work wonders. I still check her over every day and I keep her coat short to make it easier to check.

So far she's never had one *touch wood*

We went through a stage here where everytime Riley walked in he'd have ticks walking all over him.

I found the Preventic tick collars to work really well and we use the collar and frontline together now.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Think I might try the Preventix collar next – thanks!

Also I forgot to mention that I am moving near Byron bay (Yes!!) in a couple of months, and will be living in a suburban area. Does anyone know what the ticks are like there??

I found the best people to ask are the vets.

When I first got here I was told the tick season wasn't so bad etc etc, went into my local vet and asked and told he'd seen 4 cases THAT WEEK and that it was one of the worst seasons they'd had. It's now July, winter, and the tick risk is still 'high'. He's still getting a couple of cases per week in this area.

Other areas close by haven't had any for a while, so it can even differ by suburb.

They're paralysis ticks, not bush ticks?

I suspect Byron Bay area will also have a fairly high tick risk, too.

I use Advantix during higher risk tick season, but it's fortnightly for paralysis tick which is expensive. I don't like the collars because I don't want them to come into contact with me :laugh: . Kids also cuddle the dogs and would end up with anti-tick stuff on them. The spot-on, I put on at night and it's dry before morning.

I was given a freebie Frontline spot-on when I took pup for his second vaccinations- didn't work for fleas! Advantix did. Must be some Frontline resistance?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Paralysis ticks can be just as bad in suburbia than in rural areas.

Where-ever there are possums, bandicoots, Flying Foxes etc, long grass/scrub, water.

Those listed animals are some of the natural hosts to paralysis ticks and areas where they like to live..although they can live just about anywhere.

Products like Maldacin/Malaban, are classed as an insecticide.. And I would advise reading the label before use and use gloves. If you do use it, use in well ventillated areas. The fumes are not good..

We live in Sydney but on a National Park and my little 7 month old Staffie seams to be constantly covered in paralysis ticks!

We obviously check him everyday and have been using Frontline spray (which clearly does not work!!)

I am yet to try Advantix but just wondering if anyone has any proven solutions???

I am so nervous that one day we are going to miss one on him!!!

Also just out of interest I am SO surprised that with medical technology nowadays that there isn't a vaccination against these Bas@ards!!!!

I wonder how many dogs die a year from ticks?? Does anyone know anything about vaccinations or tests or anything at all that is been done about this???

Thanks!!!

Are you sure they are paralysis ticks? I am surprised that a 7 month old that is 'constantly covered' is not showing any signs of poisoning? Has your vet confirmed they are paralysis ticks and not bush or brown dog ticks? Some animals that are in constant contact with paralysis ticks have been known to develop their own immunity, but I certainly wouldnt rely on it.

I think the Kiltix collars are probably one of the best products for ticks, with the added bonus of killing fleas too! They are usually under $15 and last a while too! Just remember if you have a cat, don't let it chew the collar or lick off any top spot tick product you use.

With regards to a vaccine, I have this for you!

Tick Paralysis Vaccine

There is no vaccine available against the paralysis tick yet, but research is fast approaching its development. Researchers at UTS, Sydney have been trying to develop vaccine against the paralysis action of ticks.

It appears the vaccine will not prevent the cardiac depressant action of tick toxin, seen in approx. 20% of cases. These cases receive medications to combat cardiac failure, which otherwise leads to death of the animal despite the best in intensive care and use of ani-tick serum.

Some animals develop a natural immunity after exposure to several ticks.

The tick antiserum does not last very long in a treated animal so it is very important to start on prevention as soon as you get home and not be back with another case the following week.

I live about 1 & 1/2 hours inland from Byron, and this is a high paralysis tick area. So I imagine Byron would be as well. Check with a vet in the area, they will be able to tell you what the tick infestation is like there.

I also use tick collars and find they are effective, but during the tick season from about September through to even as late as May, I manually check the dogs regularly.

Definitely try it.

Sometimes I think it is to do with the quality/texture of the dog coat too, you could also try putting some between the shoulder blades and some on the rump/lower spine area, where the dog can't reach or lick it off.

Frontline does not always work. Also with such a very heavily infested area you should seriously consider getting a Killtix collar (these are waterproof), call vets first, not all stock them, as well as the Advantix.

There is an old bushmans remedy for paralysis ticks, mash a few of them up in the dog's food and feed it to them. I did this with Maxi in a hopelessly infested area and it seemed to work, I did also use collars and other preventions. It appeared to do him no harm and I have met people who absolutely swear by this remedy.

One of the most important things is to check your dog morning and night for ticks. Check all the nooks and crannys, the little creases in and around the ears, the dogs gums, between the webs of the toes, in the whorls of fur on the chest, and all over. It can become a routine where you have a bit of special one on one time with the dog and the dog will love it if you make it like a nice pat and scratch.

There is also a product called Neem oil that you can mix up and spray around the garden, it is harmless to dogs and humans but ticks and fleas don't like it. A bit of Neem oil on the dog is ok too.

I would not put 100% faith any any tick product. The best way is daily/twice daily checks of the dog.

At Samford in Brisbane's northside, we are high paralysis tick area. Our local vet treats many a dog who is on Frontline Plus, Advantix, Proban, Tick Collars and dips for ticks.

Even though the products say they cover ticks for UP to 2 weeks. I would not rely on it 100%.

Fido's Free Itch wash is supposed to deter ticks for up to 2 days. I had a friend who found a tick on the dog within hours of bathing.

Vigilance is a true weapon against ticks.