Paralysis Ticks!

Ems

I agree with Mystiqview.

I was asking an experienced vet for advise and he warned me off using Proban because he reckoned it can damage the liver over a period of time. I don`t like the collars because you end up with two collars on and have also been told that they aren`t that effective and other stuff only works for two weeks and am very cautious about filling dogs up with so many pesticides/teatments etc.

I basically constantly check my dogs by hand and make sure they do not go into long grass/brush areas/under trees etc - basically anywhere that the ticks may be.

Wondering if it is paralysis ticks or brown ticks that your dog is getting on him - perhaps you could save a couple and take them to your vet for identification?

I read yours, ILuvAmStaffs, and then googled my user name <blush>. I can't even remember who used to call me this (I have had a ton of nick names) but that's really something to be connected to your dad :)

OP, yep, ID would be helpful, know what you're dealing with. Would you like to post a pic? Along with asking your vet....

We recently moved to the Port Stephens area and have been warned by vets and locals alike that it's a very bad tick area :laugh:

We always swore we've never move into a tick area, but when this property came on the market, it was too good to refuse. All the house area lawns & dogs runs will be kept short, but I'm surrounded by a cattle property and we have a lot of long grass in the big broodmare paddock, which is a fairly close to where the kennels will be built.

The whips are easy to check, but the scotties & Borzoi will be interesting!