How Do You Bath Your Large Dog?

After struggling to bath the standard poodle in the shower recess, with "help" from the 3 year old, water everywhere etc., I'm wondering if anyone can suggest alternatives? I only need to bath monthly, normally, and often "shear" him the next day.

Poodle coat is hard to get wet and rinse well (thick, almost water resistant) which complicates things. If he was short-haired, no worries. I use a shower hose attachment.

There's a local DIY hydrobath attached to a grooming salon and I'm thinking I'll try there next time?

Any idea how much these usually are? Do they let you use their dryer? Wet dog+car not so good :D .

Do mobile hydrobathers brush your dog, wash, then blow dry afterwards? About how much would a standard poodle be, do you think? He's 20kg at 6 months. He's well-behaved and his coat would not be left knotted or tangled.

A DIY hydrobath opened near me recently and they were charging "from $15".

If I didn't own a hydrobath, providing the DIY place disinfected after each dog Id be giving that a go.

I personally like to wash my dog myself, rather than having someone else do it.

Edited to add: The DIY hydrobath near me has dryers.

Edited by wagsalot

:rofl: I guess I've been spoilt, having had my mini poodle bathed, clipped and groomed for only $30 before I started doing it myself.

Thanks, I had no idea how much it might be.

Strangely, it's only the bathing that's more full-on with the bigger dog. Probably easier to clip than a mini poodle (about 7kg vs 20+kg) just more surface area :D .

I tried putting Mya in the bathtub with no luck. I aint straining my back trying to lift 30kg doggie into the bath either!!

She hopped right into the shower and sat there patiently as i washed her :rofl:

My hydrobath lady brushes, shampoos, towel dries, ear cleans and blow dries each of my doggies for $20.00 She's great with the doggies too.

I am going to get a shower head attachement for the laundry sink and bath them both in the laundry.

Guest Piximatosis

I have a horse wash bay with hot and cold taps in my small front paddock :rofl:

But in winter... they take so long to dry and I don't have a doggy blowdry thing... so when the groomer we've been using for my parents' Schnauzer for the last 8 years opened up her own mobile doggy beauty van the other week I booked Holly and Kaeleigh in there too.

It cost me $70 (for both, not each)... it was more because Holly has a skin issue atm and needed a special shampoo. Looking at how it helped her, and how great both dogs looked afterwards and how much hair she blasted out of them with the drier... it was money well spent IMO but I won't be doing it in summer. Maybe a second time over winter if it stays so cold and they get stinky again, but in summer I certainly won't pay so much when I can do them in the wash bay and let them dry in the sun! :D

I just never found the time to take them to the DIY place... and it hurts my back leaning over them or my knees kneeling beside them!

I've always done mine in the human bath tub. Taught them from an early age how to get in the bath tub and provide a step if/when necessary.

Mind you, looking at their faces it's like watching a condemned man walking to the gallows :rofl:

ill say i took my fluffy boy toby lhasa aspo x cav yesterday to the groomers and while he did a great job, it stung me $60.00 :laugh: no clip either,, just tidy up face and under legs wash blowdry and brush.. it only cost me $30.00 at hairdressers to get my hair done..lol foils cut..

My parents have a dog wash guy in the Sutherland Shire that only charges around $30 a dog for us and ours are all very large so its great. He comes to our house and does it all. I dont know about grooming though, sorry. Ours are all short coat dogs. He does the blow dry as well. Also clips nails as required. I know he started out a little more expensive but mum uses him all the time for hers.

Its easier for us to get someone to come and wash ours as there is 3 at our house and the smallest is 35kg. Plus one of my dogs is terrified of the garden hose but doesnt mind the hose the dog wash guy uses.

This guy also gives us a discount if all the families dogs are there. If all the kids are visiting grandma and grandpa then there can be 6 dogs. (its like a production line and all the neighbours thinks its funny)They are all large except one and he will usually only charge around $120 for all the dogs.

Off topic, he uses a great smelling wash and spray that leaves them smelling like coconut and pina colada. I love it but I dont think my brother likes his rottie smelling like a cocktail :laugh:

I love it but I dont think my brother likes his rottie smelling like a cocktail
:love::)

I got an adaptor piece from Bunnings - and hook the hose up to the laundry tap to supply warm water and wash her that way just outside the laundry in the courtyard.

She went form being a petrified-of-the-hose, snappy chappy - to a dog that now needs no restraint and a happy chappy.

She stands there in the spot where she is washed - watching me getting out all the gear as if to say "Hurry up Mum! I'm waiting!" :)

No matter how they are washed, drying is a separate exercise. I'm lucky mine has short coat - I just choose a good day and give her a good towel off and a big run afterwards. I take a little stool out there and use it for drying - but I do lean over to do the washing.

She always gets her treats when we are finished, tho. When we started, it was treats all the way through. :laugh:

I got an adaptor piece from Bunnings - and hook the hose up to the laundry tap to supply warm water and wash her that way just outside the laundry in the courtyard.

Yep this is what I do too. Except I have a Booster bath. Makes it less work on my back.

I know I was on a good wicket with the $30 full poodle groom (the mini), even if it was about 2 years ago. Luckily fur grows quickly, so a bad haircut from me won't kill them.

Well, if a showie can do a their standard poodle showdog in the shower, I should be able to do mine with < 1/2 the fur in pet trim :) .

I'll go in next time I'm passing the salon and check it out.

Thanks for all the info :thumbsup: .

One of the reasons we got together the cash to buy our own hydrobath is that the self-service one we used to use at the vet was often left really dirty by previous users who could not even be bothered to rinse the thing out. Black hair and soap scum all over it and in the filter, etc etc. :thumbsup:

As I could see that kind of crap, I wondered what else i couldn't see - like dirty water being left in the pump festering away. If the place is clean, I'd go for it. If not, maybe a mobile groomer might be worth investigating. There really is nothing like a hydrobath to get into the coat properly.

We ended up buying a hydrobath.

Our problem was our original security dog - he wouldn't allow anyone near him so we were using the DIY hydrobaths next door to the vets ... then they decided that you couldn't wash your own dog anymore and the staff had to do it. With our dog that just wasn't possible. We couldn't find another DIY in our area and with the colder weather we decided to buy a basic hydrobath (heater and single water tub).

After getting a second dog ... it has now paid for itself ($10 per dog per week - for a basic wash and towel dry).

It is easy on the back and makes the job much easier.

I currently take my dogs to Petwise as they have DIY hydrobaths and dryers as well. Recently found out that for an additional fee (depends on size of dog) they will get a staff member to wash/dry your dog for you - if theyh ave enough staff available or it's not busy kinda thing.

She went form being a petrified-of-the-hose, snappy chappy - to a dog that now needs no restraint and a happy chappy.

She stands there in the spot where she is washed - watching me getting out all the gear as if to say "Hurry up Mum! I'm waiting!" :thumbsup:

Yep, I got the adaptor piece from Bunnings too so the hose hooks into warm water - and Tigger LURVES bath time.... no lead, she just stands (or lies) there.

Tigger1-7-07-1.jpg

Tigger1-7-07-4.jpg

Do you have a bath?

I got a hand held shower nozzle and attached that to my bathtub tap. After we bath him we towel dry with some chamois and then blowdry. I am thinking of investing in a dog force drier recommended by one of the others in the general thread. You can get one brand new on ebay for about $200 apparently.