disorder

French Bulldog Thread!

16,224 posts in this topic

Yes! Lots of photos will be posted! Haha.

No we haven't gotten a diet plan as of yet. I wanted to go with a natural based diet. No crappy dog foods, I've read so much that I'm not sure what to go with or believe.

Roova   

Make sure you start with whatever the breeder has been feeding first and make your change gradually to avoid an upset tummy.

Raw is great but you need to feed the right percentages of meat, muscle & sinew, offal and edible bone. Vets all natural can be an easier start to this if you're new to it.

Do you mind if I ask have you bought your puppy from a register breeder? Did you make sure both parents were tested for known Frenchie health problems? A healthy diet is a great start to a long and healthy life but won't help with genetic problems if the breeder wasnt careful. Of course some problems might be out of their control...

Make sure you do some research into appropriate exercise for a growing puppy too. You don't want to create your own problems by too much jumping or exercise for growing bones.

Have you thought of a name as yet or will you change it five times before deciding like I did? Lol

Pheebs   

Whenever I'm feeling down I come into this thread to see photos of a Frenchie with a bucket on his head :o Can someone please kindly refresh me who this lovely DOLer is?

ETA: Aha! Found it - Frodos Mum :D

Edited by Pheebs

hankdog   

Mmmm I do the same. The frodo thread was brilliant. Must be tough being a frenchie owner and responsible for so many people's happiness.????????????

SeeGee   

I am a beagle owner (proud, of 2) but I just wanted to tell you I got to spend a Sunday with my Uncle and Aunts lovely new addition. She is from a registered breeder, and had one litter, then found a forever home with my family.She is the sweetest, cuddliest, kindest little thing and I love her to pieces, especially her lovely squishy face! YAY Frenchies!

Roova   

I would suggest your friend jump on her state's French Bulldog club website. If she's NSW its 'French Bulldog Club of NSW'. (Sorry my computer is not letting me copy the web address for some reason).

They have a large list of breeders but she'll still need to be careful to choose someone who carries out health testing of their breeding dogs. Please really encourage them to go on a waiting list for well bred puppy if they have to and not rush to buy a puppy from just anyone who has them available.

There's a lot of breeders coming out of the woodwork who aren't doing any health testing all all. I would avoid them like the plague or she'll potentially be buying heartache and big vet bills in the future. :(

Hi guise ...

I'm staking this thread .. Have wanted a Frenchie for a while now . Started to look around, and asked a few owners things to watch for . It's probably not going to be until next year , which give more time to research and save . But I want to have a little companion for the family that's going to be ok if I go back to work 3 days a week. And is mostly inside , and loves to do the school run .

I went to the royal show and had a good look , and spoke to some of the breeders . I can't wait to get one :heart:

Hello everyone!

Just introducing myself and wanting to share some photos of my 10-week-old boy, Quincy :D

I've had him for 1.5 weeks now and can't remember what I used to do with all my spare time before he came into my life! He's been to two puppy preschool classes now, and is by far the tiniest one there, but doesn't care about that and plays hard with all the big pups, and then sleeps like a log on the way home.

I'm feeding him Royal Canin's Junior kibble mixed with raw chicken mince. Not sure if that's the right thing to do but he absolutely loves it. Will start gradually adding sardines and raw eggs with shells too as I've read that's great for their skin.

This was the first day we brought him home:

IMG_8958_zps31c42803.jpg

IMG_9050_zpse49e066d.jpg

IMG_9153_zps26294419.jpg

With his Fuzzyard squeaky donuts:

IMG_9361_zps7908d560.jpg

Our first trip outside. Waiting for a table at a cafe and showing everyone his puppy eyes:

image1_zpsa785a5fb.jpg

Big spoon & little spoon:

image3_zps8e142cf5.jpg

Fast asleep and the tongue's out!

image4_zps1b1c41d8.jpg

Sorry for all the enormous photos but I don't know how to make them any smaller! :o

I'm really looking forward to getting tons of advice from all of you experienced Frenchie owners out there :thumbsup:

Raelene   

Nothing better than puppy photos - Quincy you are wayyyyy tooo cute!!!

Kingshane, enjoy your new baby :) Nothing better than a Frenchie, they change your life. NSW French Bulldog Club have a booklet for new Frenchie owners. At under $10 it is a great read with handy tips.

Hmm I've found Augustine Approved website quite interesting (raw diet).

Edited by Raelene

Tatelina   

Unfortunately there's a lot of breeders starting to show up who don't health test properly, don't care what colour they breed, and don't seem to breed to any type of standard.

I can imagine that there'd be a few!! They seem to be the "it" dog at the moment..so many of them popping up everywhere. Which of course, brings along the people breeding for the wrong reasons. :(

Pheebs   

Hi all,

I'll preface this by saying I know how tacky this enquiry is going to sound but I will explain further.

We are currently in the position where we are having to consider the future of our 5.5 year old Great Dane who has been given a provisional diagnosis of Osteosarcoma of the front leg (we will be confirming on Tuesday with X-rays). She's an incredibly spirited dog and my husband and I have both decided not to proceed with removal of the leg (if the diagnosis is confirmed). Even if we removed the leg - the vet has given us a period of 12mths with her - at a push and even still we can't guarantee how many of those would be free from pain. To say we're devastated is an understatement. Lucy has a long history of behavioural issues and has bloated 3 times now so every day we've had with her since those episodes has been a blessing.

As a result, we're now having to consider the future and needs of our 7 year old Boxer-X, Maggie.

I'd hate for you to think we were 'moving on' from our Lucy so quickly, particularly in light of the fact that we don't even have a definitive diagnosis yet, but I'm trying to consider all factors in easing the transition for Maggie with a new addition as I know it'll be a period of great change and confusion for her and in many ways thought may as well 'rip the bandaid' so to speak and do it in one go as opposed to give her a period of say 6mths for things to return to normal only to upturn her life again with a new addition further down the track.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I'd love for anyone to keep us in the loop if you hear of any suitable male Frenchie pups or rescues or mature adults please? I've been in touch with French Bulldog Rescue Victoria already :)

It goes without saying we hope to have Lucy for quite some time but are well aware that if things don't go well on Tuesday we're on borrowed time :(

Edited by Pheebs

Raelene   

Sorry to hear about Lucy Pheebs, nasty disease. We lost our darling stafford to osteosarcoma. Had her front leg removed but it returned in her spine, etc. I hope you get a relatively good prognosis.

Best way to find a Frenchie is to get onto the lists of the reputable registered breeders and rescues. They are great dogs :)

Thought I'd have a little boast on here and share how fantastically well my little Frenchie did at the Dancing with Dogs competition last weekend in Sydney. It was our first competition and she competed in Freestyle starters. She tried so hard and came 1st in her section with an amazing 168.5 points out of a possible 180. She really streaked it and ended up having the highest score in the comp. So proud of her - especially cause she is a Frenchie and they just don't normally do that sort of thing :)

post-2397-0-20315700-1415793608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raelene

Pheebs   

Sorry to hear about Lucy Pheebs, nasty disease. We lost our darling stafford to osteosarcoma. Had her front leg removed but it returned in her spine, etc. I hope you get a relatively good prognosis.

Best way to find a Frenchie is to get onto the lists of the reputable registered breeders and rescues. They are great dogs :)

Thought I'd have a little boast on here and share how fantastically well my little Frenchie did at the Dancing with Dogs competition last weekend in Sydney. It was our first competition and she competed in Freestyle starters. She tried so hard and came 1st in her section with an amazing 168.5 points out of a possible 180. She really streaked it and ended up having the highest score in the comp. So proud of her - especially cause she is a Frenchie and they just don't normally do that sort of thing :)

What a clever little girl! Well done - you must be stoked :thumbsup:

Devastatingly our worst fears were confirmed on Tuesday and our beautiful Great Dane Lucy got her wings. In time when we have healed we hope to open our hearts to a suitable Frenchie :(

Raelene   

Oh Pheebs, so sorry to hear about Lucy. It is so hard to say goodbye but you have done the right thing. It is such a painful disease. Hugs to you xxxx

Yes, completely stoked with Paris. She is a total darling.