disorder

French Bulldog Thread!

16,220 posts in this topic

RachLav   

BREEDERS IN SOUTH AUSTRLIA

Hello! Has anyone got any advice on breeders of French Bulldogs in SA?

Any positive or negative comments will be really appreciated. 

RuralPug   
17 minutes ago, RachLav said:

BREEDERS IN SOUTH AUSTRLIA

Hello! Has anyone got any advice on breeders of French Bulldogs in SA?

Any positive or negative comments will be really appreciated. 

Hopefully people can private message you about reputable breeders. My only suggestion is simply to avoid all breeders who do not regularly compete in the show ring. One of the very best places to start meeting reputable breeders is by attending dog shows and speaking to French Bulldog exhibitors there. Don't tell yourself that you only want a pet, not a show dog. The sad fact in this breed at the moment is that overwhelmingly, those breeders that do not compete in the showing are the ones producing Frenchies with major health problems.
There are probably exceptions, but any one individual's chance of stumbling across one of those exceptions is fairly low.

• Like 1

Mjosa   

Rural Pug that is not quite correct in what you have said.

There a a lot of good people in the show ring, I know because I have been there for over 34 years, not now because I am of senior years and yet from time to time I breed an occasional litter, just because they show does not necessarily say that they are the ones to approach.

I know of no one here who has litters and if RachLav is looking for a well bred puppy I would be looking interstate, I would be happy to advise her.

There is one litter here on DOL that I would highly recommend.

• Like 2

chicko   

Hey guys what should frenchy breeders be testing for health wise? 

Anyone recommend a breeder in Perth? 

poochmad   

Hi guys. Well, just letting you know that next year we aim to add a Frenchie to our house.

my husband's dog, a fieldie is slowing down considerably, even though he's only 10 and even though I know a pup won't stop the pain or replace Henschke, it will lessen it. Also there is my dog to think of who relies on having a companion.

i was originally looking at a cav next year so we didn't have 3 medium sized dogs as the husband was still keen to get another field, but now he's changed his mind after seeing a frenchie which was the breed he was going to get after seeing one at our groomers (she's looking after  it).

hes excited about the idea, which is good, because he gets teary thinking about losing Henschke...

poochmad   

I'm going to sound like a nutter, but I did some research on the possible health problems and it was huge!

i know it doesn't mean every dog will end up with those problems, but it has scared me. Especially since we have a lot of stairs and they aren't a 'cheap' breed I guess because of their popularity...

i I think it might be back to the drawing board.

RuralPug   
31 minutes ago, poochmad said:

I'm going to sound like a nutter, but I did some research on the possible health problems and it was huge!

i know it doesn't mean every dog will end up with those problems, but it has scared me. Especially since we have a lot of stairs and they aren't a 'cheap' breed I guess because of their popularity...

i I think it might be back to the drawing board.

Have a good look at the French Bulldog Club of NSW's website, @poochmad. If you choose your breeder carefully you would be pretty unlucky to get any major health issues as the best breeders test to exclude any broodstock that have health conditions.

They were a reasonably sturdy little breed before they become fashionable and pfs and BYBs began breeding them willy nilly. :(
If you are not intending to breed (with big heads and narrow hips whelping is difficult) a good Frenchie from a reputable breeder is a fairly safe bet IMO BUT the reputable breeders usually have long waiting lists.

They are very strong willed indeed I'm not sure if that might be a culture shock after a spaniel, but their stubbornness is part and parcel of their character and if hubby has set his heart on that character nothing else will actually do so it is worth the research into finding a top notch breeder.

Roova   

I've had Maggie for just over seven years (she's 8 this year) and honestly her health had been fantastic. She had her nostrils and palette done quite young and beside desexing, that's it. 

She's on a raw diet and has great teeth and fur. She tears around with my 3yo Border Terrier and is athletic and agile. I would suggest finding the right breeder to make sure they health test and you'll end up with a great little pet!

2018-03-01_09-01-08

Edited by Roova
  • Like 1

poochmad   

Well, they all look gorgeous but coupled with the cost plus where we live, I'd be afraid of it getting stolen. Regardless the husband has changed his mind again and now wants another field so I'll be getting the small breed.

Edited by poochmad

juice   

Roova, you say your dog is healthy, but had its palette and nostrils done, does that mean they all need surgery to breathe? Not being mean, but if they are not born being able to function they are not healthy are they.

I fancied one, but hefty price tag and health put me off too.

RuralPug   

To answer your question juice, nope, they certainly do not all need palate and nostrils done, although since they became fashionable and all the BYBs and greeders jumped on the Frenchie bandwagon this is distressingly more frequently needed. 

The weird thing is that the very best breeders don't charge as much as the BYBs, but they have long waiting lists and are incredibly picky with their pet buyers (considering what has happened to the breed I do find that understandable0,, so many of the pubic don't want to wait and so buy trouble instead.

juice   

Fair enough , I thought perhaps they all had to have surgery . It seems BB’s are now the in thing . 

And yes the price tag on gumtree for them is astounding , 15k for certain colours ! 

Roova   

I would consider Maggie well bred but she needed the surgery regardless. She most definitely was not from a backyard breeder.

I acknowledge the breed itself is way overpriced for the health issues and how careful you have to be with them but in saying that they're a cool little dog and make a great pet. 

The only reason I chose the breed originally was there were very few small dogs with short hair, a sturdy body shape, a nice nature and no terrier traits.  

Someone we had quoting for laying tiles recently mentioned they had a Frenchie and were planning multiple litters to make money. There was zero compassion for the dog just excitement at the thought of making money. He didn't get the job and I had to walk away before I said something I would regret!

• Like 2

casowner   

Fozzie has great breathing, no surgery required. Awesome breeder from DOL Vonasche and is active and an absolute light in my life

fozziepark.jpg

• Like 1

Savvy   

Hi - I would like some advice on my two Frenchie puppies please. I have a 11 month old male whom we've had since 8 weeks old and 4 weeks ago introduced another male Frenchie. They are from the same parents (1st and 2nd litter), which is not particularly relevant to the problem, but anyway. The issue is over treats/bones. The older pup Morty loves chewies, the same as all dogs I guess, but has been very territorial with them and won't share with new little George. I realise dogs aren't human and sharing isn't a thing but they actually share toys and food/water bowls and eat at the same time from the same bowl with no probs. But the minute Morty is chewing on a bone and George comes within a foot of him, it's on for young and old with growling, snarling etc. I've tried giving them both the same chew treat each at the same time but Morty will take George's and walk around with both in his mouth. The other thing that Morty will do is deliberately walk up to George with a bone in his mouth and stick it in his face then when George tries to bite it, Morty will growl. He will do this 3 or 4 times and then walk off. I guess he's telling him this is mine but George needs to be able to eat a chew stick or bone as well in peace. Any ideas please? I'm a first time Frenchie owner but have owned dogs all my life. 

RuralPug   

Hello Savvy.  It really isn't normal for two dogs to happily chew on the same bone at the same time, and your older dog is trying to teach the younger pup to stay away from him when he is enjoying a bone.

Quite often the best way for peace at chew treat time is to let each dog have it's chew separated from the other. Crate training can achieve that , or putting the baby puppy in an exercise pen with his chew so that your older dog cannot steal it, or even simply letting each have their chew in a separate part of the house or garden.

I really can't recommend feeding them out of the same bowl either. Puppies have different nutritional requirements and should be on a slightly different diet. For a whole heap of good reasons, which I shan't go into here it is always best to ensure that each dog has their own bowl and to discourage them from approaching one another while eating.

21 hours ago, Savvy said:

I'm a first time Frenchie owner but have owned dogs all my life. 

:) perhaps just move this to general ? it it a DOG behaviour question ... and a breed doesn't have any bearing on it  that I can see :)
Most dogs will be unwilling to share a high-resource  item like a bone or chew .Fights can and do occur if there's not enough space, or dogs don't learn their rules,