Chicken Necks

yep, raw.

Just be careful.. I stopped feeding them to hamlet once he was adult..as he tended to swallo a whole neck without chewing, and had trouble a couple of times, with one getting a bit stuck on the way down :rofl:

If you have gulpers, be careful :rofl:

Raw chicken necks are a good choice for smaller dogs, but for medium sized dogs and up, I would suggest a bigger bone...if you're wanting chicken in particular, then I'd go for a carcass. If you are happy to try other birds, then why not go for turkey wings? :rofl:

I prefer giving my larger dogs turkey necks if I can find them. Woolworths often sells them near the cold meat pet food section where you get the bags of chicken necks and frames etc. They're about 3 times the size of a chicken neck and the dogs really enjoy chewing on them. I've also found that my lab who is allergic to chicken is fine eating turkey.

as others have said be careful

have know 1 dog to die after getting one stuck and the vet said she has had to operate on quite a few dogs who have not chewed them up right and swallowed sharp bits

I stick with chicken wings , cut up chicken frames and shanks, lamb ribs yes all raw

Raw chicken necks are a good choice for smaller dogs, but for medium sized dogs and up, I would suggest a bigger bone...if you're wanting chicken in particular, then I'd go for a carcass. If you are happy to try other birds, then why not go for turkey wings? :rofl:

Is chicken carcass the same as chicken frame? :rofl:

Will chopping them into bites sized portions help- so I can use this packet? I'll try turkey though. I'd thought there'd be less bones in the necks that's all. I have to be careful with bones due to his LP. There is no throat closing mechanism in his throat when he eats as it has been tied back in the op.

I'd be more worried about the bite-size portions for a larger dog causing a blockage, because the dog probably won't bother to chew them at all, and therefore the bone piece will be going through the intestine whole, rather than broken up. Imagine swallowing a piece of neck vertebrae - any meat will be digested, but the bone will be left intact. With smaller dogs, they can get away with bite-sized pieces as they'll probably still chew on each piece.

I guess it depends on the size of the chicken neck, ILoveFlatCoats. If they are fairly large, which some can be, Grover will be happy to much on them. If they're small, and he's a gulper, he could well swallow them down whole. If he's a careful eater, then he'll chew on any size chicken neck. The turkey necks are great though, if you can get them - there's no way a dog could swallow one of those things whole.

Maybe give him the largest one you can find in the packet first, and see what he does with it. Once he learns to chew them, he will.

I prefer wings to necks as well and they are usually around the same price, if not cheaper than the necks. They are good because the dogs really have to crunch them up and they are a pretty good balance of meat and bone.

I've never fed my lot turkey necks but might give them a try for a bit of variety...

PLEASE be VERY CAREFUL when feeding raw chicken necks to your pups/dogs! When we got our first Shar-Pei, the vet reccommended raw chicken necks. She was around 4 months old? and my partner and I went to the gym, and was minded by a friend in their backyard. She gave her a chicken neck and went about her house work, and our poor pup chocked to death on it! She thoguht she was sleeping when she went to check on her, and it was too late when she finally realised something was wrong. ;)

I don't blame her at all - she has a dog and feeds her raw chicken necks all the time without any problems.

We are getting a little staffie soon, and after that horiffic experience, there's NO WAY I'll ever feed any of my dogs chicken necks again! :( There are other bones they can saftely eat. Always supervise them!

Raw chicken necks are a good choice for smaller dogs, but for medium sized dogs and up, I would suggest a bigger bone...if you're wanting chicken in particular, then I'd go for a carcass. If you are happy to try other birds, then why not go for turkey wings? ;)

Is chicken carcass the same as chicken frame? :(

No, a carcass has a lot more meat left on than a frame. :cool: IMO carcasses are a better buy but are harder to find.

I've found that most places sell frames labelled as carcasses. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to feed these to my Maltese and Maltese Poodle X till one got stuck in my boy's throat! You definately feed them raw. I'd be very careful though I got the bone out but I feel they can be dangerous especially if the dog is unsupervised.