Sign in to follow this  
mita

Tibetan Breeds: Lhasa Apsos & Tibetan Spaniels

1,794 posts in this topic

mita   

A thread for the dogs that are gifts from the Roof of the World...Tibet in the land of the Himalayas.

• Like 1

mita   

Tibet was a closed country for thousands of years. In 1903-4, a British army Battalion marched into Tibet to seal a political relationship.

Here's an eye-witness account by Lieutenant Mark Synge describing, in 1904, how these British soldiers marched out again, taking with them Tibetan dogs that they'd adopted as pets.

"Many of the troops had acquired pets of various kinds...mainly dogs.

It was a touching sight to see great bearded men sometimes leading, but as often as not carrying, dainty little lapdogs, of kinds that resembled the Pomeranian or the King Charles Spaniel.

One or two Tibetan mastiffs...more like huge Welsh ponies than mastiffs...also accompanied us."

(Interesting, because even today in the 21st century those 'dainty little lapdogs' (Tibetan Spaniels) are still often misidentified as pomeranions or king charles spaniels.)

These Tibetan dogs were taken back to the British Army base in northern India. The wife of one of the leaders, Colonel Younghusband, is credited with bringing some tibbies back to England.

mita   

Aaaaw.....aren't they bootiful! No wonder the big tough British soldiers couldn't resist them.

reddog21   

Henry, our Lhasa Apso, from Rozzie in Mudgee, bred in Wellington NSW .. We love him. He's at the beauty parlour as we speak. If he looks a little sweaty here it's because he'd been whooping up with his Rotty mate just before this was taken :rofl::rofl::rofl:

post-5692-1184036122_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddog21

mita   

Brock (below), the tibbie boy next door...& who has lots of New Zealand rellies.

Henry looks like Soss, another neighbour's Lhasa Apso boy...an amazing little chap...& whose best friend is an enormous greyhound.

post-3304-1184036599_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

EmmaKate   

I love the Tibetan Spaniels- such gorgeous looking little dogs.

Can I ask what their temperaments are like, and do they have many health problems?

post-1164-1184038300_thumb.jpg

RedDog Henry is a stunner, they all are really.

Here is my Miss Gidget who is very sorely missed

My daughter is also a Tibbie fan and has two

Wookie (Mr Woo) a tri

And Lokie Mr Loo a senior Tibbie

Will have to see if I can find one of Loki.

post-1164-1184038507_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1184038529_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1184038993_thumb.jpg

Found some of Tashi and a better one of Wookie

My daughter is not only a fan of Tibbies now but also of the Golden Oldies and has decided that she will only adopt Seniors from now on.

post-1164-1184038970_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1184039028_thumb.jpg

Can I ask what their temperaments are like, and do they have many health problems?

My vet who had not met a Tibbie till he met Gidget says they are one of the best kept secrets of the dog world, tough as old boots, quite cheeky and so serene (sometimes). He is getting one for his daughter when she is the right age and the other vet a bear of a man would insist I leave Gidget there for the day so he could get his Tibbie fix.

I have notice people who like big dogs fall for them as well. Daughters OH was a GSD fan he let daughter have her Tibbie then he saw Loki and agreeded he had to join the family and now tells me how special Tibbies are. :rofl: Gee what a surprise :rofl:

mita   

Here's a good description what Tibetan Spaniels are like as pets (link below). They have an unusual & charming nature...just like LB described.

The Lhasa Apso boy next door, Soss, has all the Tibetan charm, too...just like Henry up above. Everyone should own a Tibetan breed sometime in their life.

We have a real Tibetan corner here...with 3 neighbours all passionate about these breeds as pets.

http://www.geocities.com/tibbiepetcorner20...ielsaspets.html

Our two Tibbie girls (10 & 13 yrs) have had good health...nothing major. Here's Angel...whose favourite friend was Elvis the Doberman down the road.

post-3304-1184040755_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

cazzie   

awww i dont have one but just wanted to say I luvs all your furbabies!!! :rofl:

mita   
the other vet a bear of a man would insist I leave Gidget there for the day so he could get his Tibbie fix.

That's funny...because one afternoon I called to collect our Tibbie girl, Angel, & that same vet was walking around with her in his arms as he worked. He said he'd had a hectic day with stroppy dogs...& was having a Tibbie 'fix' to achieve some Buddhist calm. :rofl:

EmmaKate   

They sound just as I had imagined- shall put it in the doggie bank for future reference!

You all have such BEAUTIFUL dogs! :rofl:

They sound just as I had imagined- shall put it in the doggie bank for future reference!

You all have such BEAUTIFUL dogs! ;)

WARNING"

You will not stop at one as my daughter and other owners have found out.

They're all gorgeous. ;)

Mita, any chance you could chase up some Tibby Picnic photos from the tib group? :( I can't find mine and the pics always crack me up. A flurry of fluffy tails and big smiles.

mita   
Mita, any chance you could chase up some Tibby Picnic photos from the tib group? ;) I can't find mine and the pics always crack me up. A flurry of fluffy tails and big smiles.

I'm not a Sydney person, but I'll see what I can find.

Tibbie tails crack me up, too. As our 2 girls walk up the yard, the back view is like watching a pair or Folies Begere (spelling?) showgirls with those feathers waving on their heads.

I think it was Ripley here on DOL who was on a beach & saw a dog's tail sticking out of a pipe.

She knew instantly it was a Tibbie...& it was.

AND the Tibbie smile...lights up a room. Here's Charlie, my Gracie's daughter. You might have met Charlie at the tib picnics in Sydney.

post-3304-1184115187.jpg

raz   

Swoon. I love the Tibetan breeds. Keep the piccies coming

(and little tip Mita...it's Himalaya - no s on the end ;) )

mita   
Swoon. I love the Tibetan breeds. Keep the piccies coming

(and little tip Mita...it's Himalaya - no s on the end :( )

Raz, you realise you're encouraging we Tibetan breed fanatics to post pics like crazy...I hope. ;)

It's 'Himalayas' or 'Himalaya'.

'Himalaya' was the original Sanskrit word & referred to the environment as a whole...'abode of the snows'. Outsiders to Tibet, particularly Westerners, tend to use 'Himalayas' because it covers a number of peaks in a system...they seem to think it's more accurate to use a plural form from English.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761573695/Himalayas.html