The Vet Said I Have To Lose Some Weight....... Help

Hello everyone

well i'm back with a different story to tell and hoping a kind doler can give some ADVICE

My 3yr old mini daccy now weighs 7kgs ( breed weight is 4.5kg to 5kgs) i think he is more like a 5.5kgs as what i can remember his mother was a bigger girl too, in his defence we also have a nine month old puppy, and they were swapping over with there food bowls ,and eating the puppy food

Anyway the vet said, tooo big lose some of it , which i certainly agree with as extra weight on a daccy is no good :o

he suggested just give him hills science kibble the light one HUMMMMMM?

Well i usually feed raw meat, vegs , and bones , so to go on kibble is not his thing and refuses to eat it

But what do i do ,

suggestions will be much appreciated

thanks daccydog :)

Edited by daccydog

Hello everyone

well i'm back with a different story to tell and hoping a kind doler can give some ADVICE

My 3yr old mini daccy now weighs 7kgs ( breed weight is 4.5kg to 5kgs) i think he is more like a 5.5kgs as what i can remember his mother was a bigger girl too, in his defence we also have a nine month old puppy, and they were swapping over with there food bowls ,and eating the puppy food

Anyway the vet said, tooo big lose some of it , which i certainly agree with as extra weight on a daccy is no good :o

he suggested just give him hills science kibble the light one HUMMMMMM?

Well i usually feed raw meat, vegs , and bones , so to go on kibble is not his thing and refuses to eat it

But what do i do ,

suggestions will be much appreciated

thanks daccydog :)

Cut down on food gradually and make sure he is not eating anything extra (other dog's food, or treats). Exercise will help too. You definitely don't need to go on Hills diet if you don't want to and if you are sure what you are feeding him is a complete diet (by that I mean he is getting all the nutrients he needs).

You can feed the same diet but in smaller portions but you must ensure both dogs are feeed seperate otherwise you will never stop the problem.

Also Hills contains corn/wheat & daccies can be intolerant to both so not a diet i would feed.

Also what tip bits does the dog get??

A fat daccy is a giant health risk & if he goes down in his back whilst over weight it could be devasting.

Also start to do light exercise but the truth is your incharge of his food & feeding regime & only you can make his body weight healthy for his breed

Hey... My dacy is 10months and is now on 5kgs i only feed him one meal aday i give him royal canin mini adult also some raw meat or fish all depends some days he has diff things with his kibble... Id just cut him meals in half and no treats.. My boy will sometimes steal my daughter food or whatever shes eatin at the time he is a norti boy

The last foster boy I had here (before Leo, the current foster Dachshund), who was also a Dachshund, needed to lose two kgs. I feed him just one meal a day (no snacks) and he had a half hour brisk walk a day min. Benny wasn't a fussy eater, so feeding dry (Eagle Pack) wasn't a problem. Maybe also making sure you use trim raw meat, and grate some extra veges into his dinner....

Oh and I think you should add some before and after photos :o just becasue I love looking at Dachshunds :)

Edited by Stormy

My guys dieted a little while back.

More cooked veggies and less meat, and lean meat at that, tuna and chicken more. A Little bit of fillers (rice pasta, not much) and put them onto light food instead of regular.

Overall slightly smaller portions helped too (you don't want to freak out his metabolism and have it go into starvation mode).

It took my boys a couple of weeks to lose as much as you boy needs to and they are big ol' greyhounds. It was good to do it slowly because they hardly noticed the change.

OH... no treats either :o

As this dog needs to lose more than 25% of it's body weight, I'd be cautious about too much exercise.

Halve the food. The faster the weight comes off the better. Up the walks as he get's closer to 6kg. If you can swim him (do Dacchies swim?) I'd be doing that.

Word your family up big time..... absolutely no treats. You'd be horrified how many dog's diets are sabotaged by well meaning family members and friends. :rofl:

As this dog needs to lose more than 25% of it's body weight, I'd be cautious about too much exercise.

Halve the food. The faster the weight comes off the better. Up the walks as he get's closer to 6kg. If you can swim him (do Dacchies swim?) I'd be doing that.

Word your family up big time..... absolutely no treats. You'd be horrified how many dog's diets are sabotaged by well meaning family members and friends. :rofl:

thanks poodle fan

yes there has definatly been some sabotage here from well meaning guests and family who all love him dearly anyWay i have SPOKEN :D

DACCYDOG

The first dog our family ever owned was a Standard B&T dacchy!! Fabulous dogs. :rofl: Not much of an agility prospect though. :D

Bloody families - my mother reckons I'm "cruel" for keeping my dogs so lean. :D

Edited by poodlefan

Lots of great advice, already :rofl: .

Good on you for doing the right thing for your dog, helping him to lose weight :vomit: .

I'm starting on my slightly tubby mini poodle who's been eating puppy food and is more enthusiastic now there's competition for food. Son came home from school having done shapes in Maths and said, "Mum, Oscar looks a bit like a cylinder" :vomit: (dog's got less of a "waist").

I imagine extra weight is very bad for their backs?

You could try telling family:

"The vet says it's very important"

"Dog could become lame if he doesn't lose weight" (?true with the daccies long back?)

(if sneaking treats) "You'll be shortening his life!" (well proven in studies).

PW:

I imagine extra weight is very bad for their backs?

Yes, but it's particularly bad for long backed dogs like Dacchsies. There is a direct link between obesity and a heap of dog diseases and conditions. One of the more common ones is cruciate ligament rupture.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dolers

Just a quick update of how Jack is going with his diet or reduced eating plan

he has lost 500gms down to 6.7 still a tad over weight but he's getting there slowing

:)

I'M SO HAPPY WITH HIM

Regards

Daccydog

I was fostering an Aussie Terrier who was around 19 kilos :rofl: should be around 7 or 8! I continued to feed raw, just cut the quantitiy and upped his exercise, also had to watch he didn't get to the other dogs bowls. Over 4 months we manged to get his weight down to 12.2kilos. He had no snack foods, only the odd chicken wing once a week for his teeth. He has now been rehomed and is of to Weight Watchers for Dogs at his new vet clinic. :)