pegasus

Sighthounds

6,575 posts in this topic

pegasus   

Well I decided to open somewhere for Sighthounds, as I'd be very lonely if I did a Borzoi thread!! I did put some pics up in the Hound thread, but didn't really fit in with all the Beagles, Bassets etc :p

So even though there's already individual threads for most of our breeds, I thought we could also have a group one :thumbsup:

If not, I guess I'll just have to have a Borzoi thread all on my ownsome :laugh:

Here's some pics to get started anyway!

Jasper

Jas1_edited-1.jpg

MeJas-1.jpg

Puppies!! :)

Stillrunning.jpg

Whippy bubs

whippys.jpg

~Lisa~   

Jasper is gorgeous!!! :thumbsup::) I've always wanted a Borzoi but thought that with a coat like that I wouldn't have time for grooming.

Anyway here's my sighthound, Kiya the greyhound

Kiya01.jpg

Kiya36.jpg

Image035.jpg

Stormy   

pegasus - Jasper is beautiful and huge :laugh: I never realised just how big they were.... and aren't the puppies just divine, and so fluffy, especially compared to the whippet pups.

Greyhound7 - love greys and hope to own one one day :p they are even bigger lounge lizards than the whippets :)

I love sighthouds, even though Storm doesn't quite live up to the reputation (loosing sight of the lure during lure coursing :thumbsup: )

Here are my two whippet Storm (in the front) and Penny

P1010015.jpg

Edited by Stormy

FHRP   

Looking forward to lots of pics and stories of all sorts of Sighthounds! I think they are just gorgeous. When I'm not into gundog work I might try and add a different sighthound or two :thumbsup:

Here's Herbie the Whippet

P7040036small.jpg

Chloe the foster greyhound (plus Rogan the Vizsla)

chloeNrogan.jpg

Edited by FHR

shmoo   

bring on the sighthounds!!

how much grooming does the Borzoi need? and how is it pronounced?

DSC00412.jpg

Sayly   

I'd be interested in how much grooming the Borzoi needs too. Is there alot to do? Is it difficult, as in fiddly and difficult to get right?

I lurve the Borzoi! I would love to have one eventually, are they difficult to show?

Darkrai   

Awwww pegasus u could have joined us in the afghan thread with us royal dogs :thumbsup:

what are your Borzois reg names!!!

fifi   

:thumbsup: Of course being Russian Wolfhounds, they could join us in the wolfhound thread too !!

fifi

pegasus   

Sorry everyone, I ended up with a splitting headache last night and couldn't look at the 'puter screen :rofl:

Gorgeous Grey's & Whips everyone, and Stormy, I luurve Storm & Penny, I've admired all of their pics!

To Lyndsay and Shmoo - they're not a difficult breed to groom or show :eek: Obviously there's a fair bit of brushing and washing, but nowhere near that of an Affie :rofl: But when they drop coat, god it's everywhere! And they go pretty bald :rofl:

They have a very silky coat, and we don't do any trimming whatsoever, just plenty of brushing - especially their pants and behind the ears, as they do tend to knot.

Palane, I'm hoping to have an addition to the Afghan thread sometime this year... :rofl: (*whispers*- I'm thinking of getting an Affie baby to show as well...sshhh)

:rofl: I know I could probably have fitted into a few different threads, but I thought a Sighthound one would be nice too, and that way we could all get in together :):eek:

Oh and it's pronounced - Bore zoy. With no plural, eg - Borzoi's is incorrect, never an 's' on the end :eek:

ETA - Our prefix is Argowan. We had a bit of a break from showing for a while (I was O/S and mum bought Boarding Kennels) but we're starting to get back in properly now :rofl:

Edited by pegasus

Daisy   

oooh pegasus I have admired the borzoi at the few shows I have been to, they are such stunning dogs!! I have greys - the borzoi look like big furry greyhounds, are they similar in temperament? I have a wolfhound as well as the greys, she is a naughty teenager at the moment, driving her mummy nuts :)

This is a great thread, I love all the sighthounds. Maybe by the time I die I will get to own one of each :eek:

Edited by Daisy

fifi   
This is a great thread, I love all the sighthounds. Maybe by the time I die I will get to own one of each :)

Hey Daisy, these could by your dream pack....

post-2082-1184555248_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1184555406_thumb.jpg

pegasus   

They're lovely prints fifi :)

Growing up, we had Deerhounds as well as the Whips & Zoi, so it was close to one of those pics :eek:

I just found an old pic of me with a Zoi (Ch. Argowan Ballarina) How cute was I?? :eek::rofl::rofl:

ballarina.jpg

fifi   

:) cute as a button Pegasus !!

I've always like the Argowan dogs. Your boy Jasper is stunning, so lovely to see a REAL Borzoi topline and correct front :rofl:

I love collecting old prints.

we also have two rescue phoarah hounds - our feral children :eek:

fifi

pegasus   

Mum & I love the old prints as well, we've got quite a few hanging in the house - Mostly Zoi (lots of hunting ones), whips & Deerhounds.

We've also got quite a few on our dogs.net website :)

Not a lot of 'real' topline around these days :eek:

Darkrai   

pegasus did you do the Spring fair last year and the NSW hound Show in April???

Daisy   
Hey Daisy, these could by your dream pack....

Love those pics, that could be my dream pack on the left, I already have a black and white greyhound and a big grey scruffer, just need to get the other two :)

pegasus   

I thought I'd better get some more Whippy pics up, cos they're feeling a tad left out :thumbsup:

I posted these when I first joined (in the intro sec.) but no harm in putting them up again!

Lucy's on my lap & Orchid's beside me

whips2.jpg

whips1.jpg

And of course, George :thumbsup:

extra_514.jpg

:thumbsup: the Borzoi puppy pix! So cute :thumbsup:

I think you're right about being lonely in a breed thread too, my Saluki thread died! So, here's some pix of our little gang :(

Faxon first, because he was first:

826875277_5071268cd6.jpg

My Lucy:

826843843_1094cf945a.jpg

A young Jadir doing some archaeology:

826875359_f95f1d53ea.jpg

More archaeology, this time from Buzz and Lucy:

826939901_9c60ef8d19.jpg

Sayly   

Thanks for the info pegasus. Currently showing my first dog, an Irish Terrier and there is lots of tricky detailed stuff to do with grooming that I had no idea about. I love the time spend grooming just wish I was better at it! Her breeder and her breeder's granddaughter have been wonderful with teaching my Mum and I how to groom her, but it is still difficult! I know there are lots of breeds out there who are probably alot more difficult to groom.

This may sound like a silly question but how fast do you move to show them? With the Irish Terriers its a quick walk and I watch everyone in the other rings run around! Obviously the Borzoi need to be moved faster than the Irish Terriers.

Do you know of any breeders/exhibitors of Borzoi in SA? There are two listed on dogzonline, but I don't get to see the hound group as they usually finish before the terriers do here, do you know if those breeders listed are showing here currently? I would love to see some in real life.

What are their personalitites like? My family has only had terrors terriers but I personally like sighthounds and working dogs, but don't have much personal experience with them. I love the terriers don't get me wrong, but I would like something different too.

Sorry for all the questions, I am quite taken with the Borzoi! :happydance2:

pegasus   

It's ok Lyndsay, I don't mind the questions! It's nice to see people interested in our breed :happydance2:

I've also been brought up with Scotties (yes we have them as well!) so fully understand the 'terrors' :):)

I'll have a chat to mum, she'll know who's in SA.

Running with a Borzoi - hmm, trying to work out how to describe it :cool: I sort of go at a lope type speed, though a lot depends on which dog it is of course! The adults I'll go a bit quicker with if we're going right round the ring, but not too quick, as you want the movement to be smooth and flowing, not racing. I tend to just take bigger strides instead of getting faster, if that makes any sense!! (probably not :)