Why Do Pups Lick?

EmmaKate

My little one likes to lick my hand when he's settling down or coming over for a cuddle, he also likes to give me eskimo kisses and then lick my nose occasionally, and when I get out of the shower he gets very busy licking my feet, ankles and what he can reach of my calves.

I was just wondering why they do it?......It doesn't bother me, I find it quite sweet, was just interested.

Yep, as sas said, just saying you're boss and I love you :happydance2:

Some say it is submissive, I dont think I would call it submissive behaviour, but it's a sign that you're boss.

Ruby licks gently, unlike Poppy who does big quick sloppy ones!

Ruby will gently chew on the tip of my nails with her front teeth similar to the way people chew on their nails. She starts by licking my fingers then starts gently chewing. It's different to normal puppy mouthyness, its quite gentle. She's wierd! Haha.

Pups lick around their mothers faces and mouths to make them regurgitate food, a bit like birds do. It's also a submissive behaviour and they are saying, I know you are the boss. Dominant dogs do not lick their owners faces :happydance2:

thats so great to hear I thought it was the other way around my puppy licks my face and my daughters face whenever she is allowed

I though she was trying to dominat us hahah so nice to hear its the other way around ( I have alot to learn)

I read somewhere that some dogs get very licky because it 'pays off' for them.

If their owner likes it, the pup gets positive attention. The owner is rewarding the behaviour. The dog then licks more and more because they know it will mean good times for them.