Rescue Introductions, New Pinned Thread, Other One Confusing

Name: Erin

Age (optional):

Rescue Group: Doggie Rescue

Time in Rescue: 4 years

Who can vouch for: Dogmad, IBite, Shmoo, Jelly, Fiona Mills (have spoken and typed with many rescue people but have only met/know these in person)

Preferred Breed: Weimaraners, dachsies, big boofers, little scruffers, anyone who wants a belly rub.

Experience (if any): Kennel hand then adoption officer and foster co-ordinator at Doggie Rescue, foster carer twice, have done some transport, donated bedding, work in a vet, always chasing/saving stray dogs and finding cats.

Edited by bowser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Name: Erin

Rescue Group: CGAS

Time in Rescue: 2 years

Who can vouch for: Paula, greying-fast, Imy, Trisven13, Daisy, Stormy, The Funny Farm, CBL, Anniek, Flashsmum, Longclaw.....

Preferred Breed:: Greyhounds :eek:

Experience (if any): Fostering for 2 years, as well as helping with other Greyhound Rescue not related to CGAS. Small dog and cat testing, desexing and vet work stop overs, tranpsort, web work, fundraising, promos etc. Did the HP threads for a short time.

Name:Kaz

Age (optional): 42

Rescue Group: Paws'n'Hooves

Time in Rescue: 2 yrs

Who can vouch for: Panlewis Schmoo Cavnrott Petsearch Stormy Pikespooches Peibe Sas Cordelia Reddog Horus Juice Kamuzz Singsong Alix15 (these people have met me, or else have worked closely with me over a distance, though whether or not they say nice things is up to them :eek:)

Preferred Breed: Danes Rottweilers Staffies Bullterriers Boofymutts (particularly females or young or non dominant males)

Experience (if any): Flying by the seat of my pants,

Edited by Kaz

Guest Pandii

Name: Andrea

Age (optional): 35

Rescue Group:Who ever needs me but Far WEST ANIMAL RESCUE ( COOLIBAH COOLIES) and I have helped other coolie rescue in very past years

Time in Rescue: 3 years

Who can vouch for: Hopefull some one hhahaha maybe coolibah and I have helped Staffshih and my Pandiiman has meet Dane Chick. Mawson knows me

Preferred Breed: coolies, but will help with any pups upto age 6 months (roughly) or any dog and child friendly doggies in need

Experience (if any): Just my love of dogs

I am also for Desexing all dogs before they leave here and have never had any dogs come to harm while been with me

Edited to add that Staffshih and Jdavis have both been to my house and meet my dogs. They might be nice enough to vouch for me

Edited by Pandii

Name: Bridget

Age (optional): 26

Rescue Group: Have been involved with Cordys, JRT rescue, 4paws

Time in Rescue: started fostering about 3 yrs ago

Who can vouch for me: Jaq, Sas, JRT rescue (jill), boomba, GreatDaneGirl (she doesnt do rescue tho :rofl:), Feher (she might not be on DOL anymore??), Freckles.....

Who can i vouch for? All the above

Preferred Breed: ill transport anything, generally have fostered the smaller JRT due to circumstances but had some huskies in the early days

Experience (if any): did some Husky/Mal fostering for Husky rescue QLD while they were waiting for transport when Mav was little - they were always kept seperate.

Then decided smaller would be more appropriate and after volunteering to bring a JRT girlie up from canberra - ended up getting entwined with JRT rescue :eek: had quite a few JRT - Mav loves them they play really well and taught him how big he really is and must be gentle with the littlies:)

Reduced to transport after moving up the coast to live getting Rogue (couldnt have fosters with a baby pup around) and getting an anal landlord! so now do regular runs for Boomba :D

Hope to return to fostering once we FINALLY buy a house (which we have been trying to do for months :o )

:p

Name: Stacey

Age (optional): 23 (nearly 24)

Rescue Group: CPR and Private

Time in Rescue: From 2006

Who can vouch for: anyone in ARF and any of the Canberra DOLers

Preferred Breed: Cocker Spaniels but happy to help any dog if I have the time.....

Experience (if any): Animal lover :eek:

Microchip YES

Vaccination YES

Desexing YES

Heartworm test YES

worming YES

flea treatment if necessary

vet work if required YES

basic training/teach manners. I try to

house train dogs I try to

Dogs inside the home or outside. They are inside when someone is at home. Depending on the weather conditions, the dogs may stay inside or outside when I'm not home.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a dog with problems If I feel I can do it. I took a Cocker Spaniel (Nugget) despite the fact people mentioned the possiblity of Dementia etc. I took him privately at first because I could not find a rescue group to assist but ended up rehoming him through CPR :rofl: He's now living a very happy life.

Edited by kaywoman68

Name: Lynne

Rescue Group: NONE

Time in Rescue: N/A

Who can vouch for you - Me - Those who know the story re Kirra will know how I care for my dogs

Microchip YES

Vaccination YES

Desexing YES

Heartworm test YES

Worming YES

Flea treatment YES

Vet work if required YES

Basic training/teach manners YES

Dogs inside the home or outside. I have a female GSD and two JRT's who are mainly outside during the day çause that's where they choose to be. They all have excellent shelter from rain, wind etc plus a HUGE well fenced b/yard to romp in. The are all inside with us of an evening and sleep inside at night due to the cold atm, in summer they will sleep outside. I also have three 6.5 weeks old puppies who are inside all of the time unless I feel it is sunny and warm enough for them to have an outside romp with me watching of course :eek:

I'm not part of a rescue group nor do I wish to join one, I am happy just grooving along by myself and helping when and where I can. I am however open to anyone meeting me or checking my dogs and b/yard etc as I have nothing to hide.

Any other questions? Ask me!

Edited by kyeesha

Name: Trish

Age (optional): 38

Rescue Group: Albury Dog Rescue Inc

Time in Rescue: 3 years

Who can vouch for: Cordelia, Rozzie, ARF, Panlewis, Winterpaws, Nalacleo, Olly, CBL, AnnieK etc

Preferred Breed: Love all breeds but a fondness for sighthounds

Experience (if any): Just on the job

Another update with more information, due to a wonderful suggestion by a DOLer

Should of put this to discussion or vote before I went ahead with the thread

Microchip Yes

Vaccination Yes

Desexing Yes

Heartworm test No but highly recommended by both ourselves & vets (can't factor it into an acceptable to the public price) - do treat pups though. Also we have a very low risk by comparison to other areas here in Albury.

worming Yes

flea treatment Yes

vet work if required Always provide immediate vet attention when required but choose to pts over expensive treatments (parvo etc) as we do not have the funds for these events. On occasion a carer will pay out of their own pocket to treat a dog that has more expensive needs (I have done this myself many times). I believe that the $1,000.00 spent to save the life of one dog is better spent by our organisation on another 10 plus dogs with mild problems. It is, however, always a committee decision.

basic training/teach manners. Yes

house train dogs Dependent on foster carer

Dogs inside the home or outside. Dependent on foster carer but myself have them inside of an evening and outside during the day.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog. Have done it but the dog was not remotely aggressive, just frightened. Our committee WILL NOT rehome a dog with temperament issues and this includes fear aggression.

Name: Karen Kobier

Age (optional): 40

Rescue Group: formerly foster carer for ARF, now carer for CGAS and also rescue privately

Time in Rescue: approx 2 years

Who can vouch for you: paula_canberra, bittymoopeeb, keetamouse, horus, arf_raelene, Fiona Mills........ paula, BMP, Fiona and horus have all been to my place.

Preferred Breed: Greyhounds, wolfies, big boofers. I do not take little dogs.

Experience (if any): Dog owner all my life.

Microchip: Always

Vaccination: Always

Desexing: Have rehomed some puppies undesexed as local vets refuse to desex under 6 months. All these pups have now been desexed. Will probably not foster puppies again after considering the implications and reading all the discussion about rehoming undesexed puppies, unless I can find a vet who will desex them early.

Heartworm test: Depending on where the dog comes from.

Worming: Always

Flea treatment: If necessary

Vet work if required: if necessary

Basic training/teach manners: yes

House train dogs: yes

Dogs inside the home or outside: outside during the day, all sleep inside and have inside time with the family of an evening.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog: I will give extra care for a dog with minor issues, but would not take on a dog with severe issues as I don't feel that I have the time or experience needed to help these dogs.

Other: As my own pack has grown, I now only take on one foster at a time, but am happy to help out with transport or temp care where I can. I am also now making collars and coats for CGAS to sell to raise funds :eek:

Who I can vouch for: keeping this to those that I know personally - paula_canberra, trisven13, Fiona Mills, horus, liberty, olly, longclaw, CBL, most ARFers including bittymoopeeb, keetamouse, kaywoman, frenzied1, mooper, ARF-Raelene, ARF-Muttly, ARF-Andrea......

will add more as I think of them. ETA I have not personally been to all these people's homes but have known and dealt with them for a while and will vouch that they are trustworthy and ethical :rofl:

Edited by Daisy

Name: Beverley

Age (optional): 32

Rescue Group: ARF

Time in Rescue: From mid 2006

Who can vouch for: I would hope any ARF people, Paula from CGAS and any of the girls from CPR

Preferred Breed: Boofers

Experience (if any): Always loved animals volunteered at the RSPCA when I first immigrated, so I am experienced in shovelling poo :eek: I go temp testing often and learn alot there. I can always learn more. I have no formal training.

Microchip YES

Vaccination YES

Desexing YES

Heartworm test YES

worming YES

flea treatment if necessary

vet work if required YES

basic training/teach manners. I try to

house train dogs I try to

Dogs inside the home or outside. My fosters live as my own dogs do, they hang outside when they want to, they come inside when they want to, sleep in crates. If I go out they are crated inside I never leave them outside if I am not home. I am only ever away for 3 hours tops.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a dog with problems: I do if I think I can deal with the problems myself.

Name: Paula

Rescue Group: Canberra Greyhound Adoption Service

Time in Rescue: 5 years (started CGAS 2.5 years ago)

Who can vouch for: Have fostered for us - Daisy, olly, Longclaw, warley, greying-fast, BMP, imy, Been to my place - Daisy, Longclaw, greying-fast, imy, Moops, BMP, BMR, Stormy, .. all the Canberra party planners :eek:

Preferred Breed: We foster greyhounds, but happy to help with other breeds

Experience: Fostering various breeds for 5 years, caring for pups to seniors. Manage the CGAS Foster Program.

Microchip: Yes

Vaccination: Yes

Desexing: Yes - all dogs and pups desexed before leaving care.

Heartworm test: Yes

Worming: Yes

Flea treatment: If required

Vet work if required: Yes, although give consideration for quality of life for the dog and resources

Basic training/teach manners: Yes

House train dogs: Yes

Dogs inside the home or outside: Foster dogs spend time inside, and sleep inside.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog: Special needs dogs are taken on a case by case basis, it depends on the situation, resources required, whether we have a suitable carer available, and likelihood that the dog can be responsibly cared for and rehomed. We do not rehome aggressive dogs or those with a high prey drive.

Edited by paula_canberra

Name: Katrina

Age (optional): XXXX

Rescue Group: DABS

Time in Rescue: I guess 10 months, but that's only because of the FF

Who can vouch for: Norma/Chinaplate, maybe Paul from PNH

Preferred Breed: Large enough to cope with 35kg Stevie, small enough to lift easily. Otherwise no preference. I do feel for the old scruffies, though, like the dog I had when I was a child.

Experience (if any): see below.

Microchip, Vaccination, Desexing, Heartworm test, worming, flea treatment, vet work if required: whatever's necessary but desexing is important

basic training/teach manners - yes, we've managed with Stevie & Jodie. Stevie teaches manners better than I do.

house train dogs - yes, but dogs have access to outside at all times so only half-training!

Dogs inside the home or outside - in when we're home, out when not (full cover and biggish yard)

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog - no, I know I can't put the time into it.

Paul (Panlewis) did a house inspection for Paws'n'hooves, but the dog I was to foster for them was adopted before she got to me!

Then I tried fostering twice through DABS. First time didn't work out very well for the little dog because he became too attached and I couldn't leave him by himself, even for sleep. He was a very very upset little dog. Second time didn't work out because we failed, Jodie is permanently with us now.

Because I work full-time and now know that foster dogs need full-time attention at least to begin with, and also because my OH and our cat think two big dogs is plenty, I can't help at all much. Maybe I could help with overnights/weekends from Fairford Road/Canterbury Pound, because it's very close by my house. However, I have epilepsy and not allowed to drive, so can't help with transport (though I can walk to Fairford Rd if necessary). Best I can do is donate funds and goodies where I can - Hi Powerlegs!

However, I'm due for a lotto win sometime in the next couple of weeks, so will help a lot more then...

In the meantime, I feel very humble, reading about everyone else's great work!

Edited by Stevie&Jodie

Do we need to have physically been to the property & met in person of anyone we vouch for or do we consider over the phone contact sufficient? Not trying to be pedantic here but thought afterwards that no-one has actually been to my house other than shepmax71 and the lovely flyball lady from St George area with the one-eyed dog :eek:

Name:Lauren

Age (optional):29

Rescue Group: DCH

Time in Rescue: just under 2 years

Who can vouch for: LMWS, meganm,liberty-(Paula),dogmad, (theres more but surely that will do?)

Preferred Breed: Puppies (mainly because i have children), also small breed dogs, sooky shy dogs. Have to be ok with other dogs. Oh who am i kidding i don't have a preffered breed/type lol. It's more like a preffered temperament. I like (and my own dog prefers) the quieter gentle ones.Sooky shy affectionate dogs. I have a new found love of great big gentle dogs Bull Arab types, and white dogs with pink mushes :eek:

Experience (if any): Just personal with my own dogs. Had cattle dogs growing up she whelped a few times (yeah i know but i was a kid i had no say in it). I allways had to get them out from under the house and took care of them. I worked in a grooming salon years ago (like 10 years ago). Have allways picked up strays and tried to help them and injured birds.

Microchip- yep

Vaccination- yes

Desexing- yes

Heartworm test -pups dont usually need it but if need be yes.

worming-yes

flea treatment-yes

vet work if required- of course

basic training/teach manners yes

house train dogs- yes , easier with floor boards :rofl:

Dogs inside the home or outside - both, mostly inside

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog -yes provided they aren't fear aggressive.

Oh wow Hi Karma long time no see :o Congrats yourself! I can vouch for Karma wholeheartedly. She takes wonderful care of her animals. Been to her house, seen her yard- all good.

Edited by openarms

Do we need to have physically been to the property & met in person of anyone we vouch for or do we consider over the phone contact sufficient? Not trying to be pedantic here but thought afterwards that no-one has actually been to my house other than shepmax71 and the lovely flyball lady from St George area with the one-eyed dog :eek:

Yes, I am the same Trish. Only Cordy and Horus have been to my home from memory... maybe Meganm years ago???

At the moment I transport and donate only - would be fostering if I could (you all know that).

Name: Holly

Age (optional): 27

Rescue Group: No affiliations as yet

Time in Rescue: Since i have been on this site - 18 months probably - actually more like 2 years

Who can vouch for: Olly, paula_canberra, Trisven13, Daisy, NalaCleo, jemapelle

Preferred Breed: Greyhounds

Experience (if any): no fostering experience yet

Edited by CBL

Name: Natasha

Age (optional): 19

Rescue Group: Toller Rescue :eek:

Time in Rescue: 1 year

Who can vouch for: Dont know if any rescue people can, but ask the Toller people :rofl:

Preferred Breed: Tollers, BCs, Retrievers

Experience (if any): Have rescued/rehomed 4 dogs myself.

Desexing: Yes

Flea treatment: Yes

Vet work if required Of course

Basic training/teach manners. Yes, they also get a few goes at agility and flyball :o

House train dogs Basic manners inside

Dogs inside the home or outside. Outside with a little time inside

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog. Yes

Recently fostered for VDR, but before i done it on my own i think i much prefer running it all though so once it heats up again thats what i will be doing.

Great idea, Peibe. I'll put this down for posterity, in case I find time to get more active in rescue soon. :birthday: Right now, I'm not able to do much.

Rescue Group: just ARF so far

Time in Rescue: 3+ years in ARF

Who can vouch for: Most local DOLers have been to my house, but I think the only ones who've seen my backyard and fencing are BittyMooPeeb, Keetamouse and ARFKD.

Preferred Breed: Jack prefers BCs, kelpies or robust littlies. He *hates* huskies and mals :birthday: He has a special bond with BMP's Piobaireachd and with my friend's dachshund :mad

Experience (if any): Only temp care, merely 3 or 4 times in three years. My husband isn't keen on fostering, and Jack isn't too keen on competing for attention, so it's easier to manage if I'm home alone.

I used to be very involved in ARF marketing, fundraising, manning market stalls and organising events (party planner :) ) but uni takes precedence at the moment. After uni, I hope to do some fostering, transport etc.

Microchip: yes

Vaccination: yes

Desexing: I couldn't sleep straight if I rehomed an entire dog. That's a yes.

Heartworm test: yes

Worming: yes

Flea treatment: yes

Vet work if required: yes

Basic training/teach manners: yes. Thanks to my stubborn boofer, I've learned a lot about dog training

House train dogs: hopefully, but I have no experience here. Each foster has come to me housetrained so far, including my own.

Dogs inside the home or outside: outside during the day, inside if they want when I'm home, in a crate overnight. Oh, but Halle the ACD slept out in a kennel while she was with us, on my husband's insistence. That was a management issue -- to separate them as they would fight for attention from me. They were best buddies on walks or in the yard all day while we were at work (bloody dogs!)

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog: not a good idea given Jack's dominance.

Edited by Mooper

Name: Peter

Rescue Group:

Time in Rescue:

Who can vouch for: Some interaction with a couple of people here

Preferred Breed: Borders & working dogs

Experience (if any):

Desexing: Yes

Flea treatment: Yes

Vet work if required: Yes

Basic training/teach manners: Yes

House train dogs: Yes

Dogs inside the home or outside: all sleep inside in crates.

Are you prepared to give extra care for a submissive nervous dog: Yes

Edited by Chloes Dad

• Troy unpinned this topic