Quarantine Area

I am interested in setting up a proper quarantine area at my place, and would like some information on how to go about this and what is needed. All the rescues I have taken so far have been confined to my back yard for 10 days, but they have not been completely seperated from my dogs, or kept on concrete, which is what I am thinking would be necessary.

So, some questions to those who have quarantine areas:

Is the floor completely concrete?

Is the dog confined to this run for the entire quarantine period, and if so what do you do about exercising the dog, or do you have a seperate exercise area set up?

How long would you consider a safe quarantine period to be?

Do you need a 'stand-off' area so that other dogs are not able to get close to the run, and how large would it have to be?

Any other info or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks squeak, will do.

I have been thinking that if I am going to offer temp care, I really should be able to quarantine the dog, and if I had a suitable area I could temp care and hold for quarantine to help out rescuers interstate etc.

Surely someone else apart from Cordy has a quarantine facility?

Sadly I think you may find some peoples idea of quarantine may not be as effective as they may think they are. In normal households I doubt you will find an effective quarantine set ups. There just isn't room to do it.

Ideally you will need a concrete area with solid brick or concrete walls that can be bleached or otherwise successfully treated DAILY. There needs to be a drain to take this suss waste and water straight out of your yard. Your safe dogs should not be able to access this area or the quarantined dog ever during the required time. You should have boots that you only step into as you enter the area and a foot bath (kitty litter box filled with bleach work well) to step in as you leave before removing the boots and putting on normal footwear. Any solid waste that you pick up should also be disposed of where other animals can not get to it. Now exercise will be hard unless you have an attached exercise yard to the quarantine kennel. The trick will be not introducing a new quarantined dog until you are 100% sure the last dog was NOT incubating any nasties other wise your exercise yard will also be contaminated and you will be exposing the new dog to this nasty laying in the ground. Unless of coarse your exercise yard is also concrete and completely treatable. As for size, you want something that is big enough to not make the dog go mad being penned in and not so large you can't properly clean it. I don't think there is a set guideline to follow with this one.

hope this helps

Also, you'll need to seal the concrete/brick.

Parvo poo can spray up the walls so you'll need to seal it quite high (at least waist height).

If it's not sealed, nasties can get into the cracks and missed by bleach.

Think of a 6 foot run (length wise), sealed concrete base, sealed concrete walls to waist height for 3/4 length, full height for 1/4 (to form like a shed), roof over top. Concrete slopes slightly to gate which is over a large drain with extra concrete outside.

Everything that is used in quarantine ONLY gets used in quarantine. Soaked in bleach after every new dog. Bleach really is your best friend.

Any part of you that touches the quarantine area/dog needs to be treated before going to a non quarantine area (even just the grass outside the run.

It's difficult to set up, and it will be a permanent structure when done due to the nature of doing it right.

You'll also need to be able to treat your car if you transport a dog that's in quarantine (possibly best way to do it is with a wire crate that you can bleach thoroughly rather than having them on the seat/floor).

Thanks Freckles and Tramissa. I had thought of most of it but not the drain :) Not sure how I would go about that, to get a proper drain put in would need a plumber I guess. It looks like setting up such a facility is going to be out of my budget at this point in time. I have a large backyard and would have the room to do it, just not the finances. Wondering if you would need council approval for such a structure too.

Would like to know what other people do, or do you just do as I have been doing and not take dogs from any pounds with suspected parvo cases, keep the dog confined to your yard for 10-14 days, and hope they are not infected.

None of the fosters I have had at my place have had anything worse than kennel cough. I was always aware that I was taking a risk though, and that if my yard was contaminated I would not be able to take any unvaccinated dogs for a 12 month period.

Edited by Daisy

For me, this is the main reason that when we fostered, we fostered through a rescue that had quarantine kennels (Cordy's).

I would never (and will never) take a dog directly from the pound.

My own dog means too much to me to put her at risk.

A Quarantine area is something we are dying to have up here its my main focus at present...Touchwood we have had one parvo case from over 200 dogs from pounds so we count ourselves lucky....We knew the dog in question may of been in contact with a dog with parvo so he was quarantined.... Its a major problem in rescue :)

Edited by varicool

I now only take fosters from Cordys as I know they have passed quarantine in a safe set up. Parvo is just too rampant now to even dare take a dog I can't quarantine and I will not put my own dogs at risk just to save a dog because of some neglegent person who couldn't care less. I do not believe I should put others at risk Human OR animal) just to say I help rescue, but I will help rescue the safe way for all involved.

I agree that having an effective quarantine area is out of the reach of most of us.

But I don't think that should put you off putting in the best quarantine area you possibly can. It could still save you from spreading it to your other dogs.

One of the most important things is that whatever is inside the quarantine area should never touch what is outside the area.

That means double fencing and if there is any runnoff from cleaning the area, the other dogs should have no contact with that area as that is also contaminated.

You can get things like disposable plastic shoe covers - nurses use them. disinfectant baths outside etc.

If you do have what turns into a parvo case in that area, you won't be able to clean 100% effectively, but at least you have kept the rest of your yard clean.

It really is so much better than having nothing at all.

I don't attempt to quarantine every dog that comes from the pound. My dogs are vaccinated - yes I know that isn't 100% certain but I can live with the slight risk.

But all puppies go straight into a quarantine area as they are most likely to have caught something from the pound environment,

Now this is the kind of post that is needed in the rescue forum. Good thread Daisy. Where are the experts now though (obviously too busy elsewhere.....).

I can't help as I am not overly informed on these matters myself but I would love to know more.

Edited by Puggles

Good news - I have been talking with a rescue group and they are interested in trying to raise funds to set up a quarantine run in my backyard :rolleyes:

I am going to go to my local council and find out if permission is needed and if there are any guidelines :rofl:

Good news - I have been talking with a rescue group and they are interested in trying to raise funds to set up a quarantine run in my backyard :rolleyes:

I am going to go to my local council and find out if permission is needed and if there are any guidelines ;)

:rofl: Cool!

I would also suggest you speak with your Vet about what quarrantine proceudres to take. They deal with these issues all the time.

That thread is really scary. http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=107681

How many others like that are there? (people i mean)

I am going to go to my local council and find out if permission is needed and if there are any guidelines ;)

Wonderful, wonderful news. :rofl:

I hope it works out too. It will only be one run, but am hoping it will be able to be used by more than one rescue group (one dog at a time obviously). My main thought is that I would be able to quarantine dogs that are going to rescue interstate so that they would be 'clean' when being transported. But I could also just quarantine dogs for foster carers who don't have the facilities to do it themselves or who have old/young/unwell dogs of their own that they don't want to take a risk with.

• Troy unpinned this topic