Eating Grass?

i've noticed recently that all 4 of my dogs eat a lot of grass. actually its wheat crop (but doesn't really matter) anyway i have a 6 year old lab, 3 year old kelpie, 1 year old jrt maltese x and an 8 month old ridgeback. they are all fed different things i was thinking maybe they are missing something in their diet?? any ideas? they eat A LOT!! when we go for walks they spend like the whole time muching on crop!!

so i was just wondering why doggies do this? anyone know?

Maybe they just like eating grass?

My oldest boy just eats it whenever, he likes eating it when out on walks because its lovely and green while my other will eat some then screw his face up and stop for awhile, then come back and try again :) Must think because Nova is eating it it must be good LOL. I stood with Nova for about 10 minutes once while he chomped on some.

Edited by tollersowned

I think the general feeling is that they do it because they can. :laugh: I've asked my vet and that was his answer.

Sometimes they will eat grass if they feel sick to throw up but usually they just eat it because they can and they obviously like it. It doesn't seem to matter what sort of diet they are on as you mentioned. Adding more veggies is often recommended but mine eat a lot of veggies and still eat grass. The time of year seems to also have a bearing on how intent they are on eating grass. I grow grass for my rabbit and Bob will take it out of my hands and eat it. Both of my dogs eat dirt too :) they are on different diets.

It's obviously a common behaviour as there is a University in USA that is doing a survey on grass and plant eating if you are interested. It's been going for a while, I thought there may have been results by now.

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=14

Mine will go out every morning for their wee, and then chomp on some grass before they come back in.

As far as I know it is good for them and helps with digestion ?? Thats what I heard, but I think they both just like it cos they do it every morning :)

My two also eat lots of grass. I think its quite sweet to taste and they just like it.

I agree that feeding more vegetables in their diet does not stop them having a chomp on the grass.

Sometimes it comes through in their poo pretty well undigsted but other times the poo is a lovely green colour. :p

My boys eat a lot of grass - with no obvious effect.

I don't want to mow the long grass patches out the back because they seem to enjoy it so much - shame they aren't like sheep and eat it a bit more, then I wouldn't have to mow at all! :laugh: