Feeding A Raw Diet, Veges Or No Veges?

Hi,

I have been doing alot of research into raw food diets but am a bit confused. Some people feed only bones, meat and organs and some people do the Billinghurst style food with veges as well.

Some people say dogs only very rarely eat stomach contents some people say that they eat stomach contents regularly.

I am very familiar with the BARF style diet with veges but wonder what others think about diets giving them very little, if any veges. Anyone here do this?

Thanks.

I give my dogs some veggie but don't go overboard.

They get about a tablespoon of veggie mush each (various veges though the juicer) every day.

From memory I think the Billinghurst book says something about seperating the meals and feeding one meal of just veggies - I've never done that.

I give my dogs vets all natural which has grains and vegies, I just add water and soak for 24hrs then mix with meat, it is promoted as a fully balanced diet and of course as the name states "invented" by a vet. So yes I would add vegies if I was doing it from scratch.

I give my dogs vets all natural which has grains and vegies, I just add water and soak for 24hrs then mix with meat, it is promoted as a fully balanced diet and of course as the name states "invented" by a vet. So yes I would add vegies if I was doing it from scratch.

sorry I am intrigued: why do you add grains to your dog's diet? I always thought dogs can't digest grains very well and that's why commercial food (rich in grains to make it cheap source of proteins) is bad for them ;) ?

i feed more vegies to the greys because they fart alot if they eat too much mince. the boys (silky cross) get mince and chicken necks. the greys get bones from the butchers during the day.

depends on each dog and how they digest it. some dogs can get the runs on vegies or some have really good poos.

I feed Chelsea with raw chicken or raw lamb for meals. I put a small piece of vegie in there (about a tablespoon), pumpkin, brocolli or carrot.

I have tried giving it to her in a larger amount, she just simply not eating them after a while. If I give her just tiny bit every meal, she will take it.

Maybe they just need a very small amount of vegie in their diet

I feed a lot of vegies with some fruit, probably a good cup to cup and a half of vegie/fruit mush for dinner, with some protein (egg, fish, yoghurt or some lean mince) and a few supplements (ACV, VAN Health Booster & Linseed oil) and a meaty/minimal fat bone for brekky.

I use the vegie base as Darcy's a very good doer, unfortunately tends towards the labrador in that department rather than the kelpie. :laugh: I use them to bulk up her diet, plus add some nutrients in a low calorie form so I can ensure she's getting what she needs.

She's fit and healthy, has great teeth and a pitch black shiny coat so I figure I'm not doing too badly for a dog on such a restricted diet. :D

I think vegies are added to try and give the dogs vitamins that they would miss out on if they dont eat organ meats, eyeballs brain etc.

I am very familiar with the BARF style diet with veges but wonder what others think about diets giving them very little, if any veges. Anyone here do this?

I dont but i think what nature intended is best, if only it was convienient i would feed my dogs this way, fur feather scale and all.

I dont but i think what nature intended is best, if only it was convienient i would feed my dogs this way, fur feather scale and all.

Be careful saying that - you will have all the one-eyed dry food nazis screeching at you that you cant feed a dog anything with "by products" in it or they will spontaniously combust :rofl: .

Edited by MrsD

I think vegies are added to try and give the dogs vitamins that they would miss out on if they dont eat organ meats, eyeballs brain etc.

That makes sense.

I have read that wild dogs dont often eat stomach contents but they will if they are desperate for food.

i think what nature intended is best, if only it was convienient i would feed my dogs this way, fur feather scale and all.

Yes, that would be the best way to feed but a bit hard dragging home whole beasts to feed them :mad .

I wonder, in the wild, what the dog who eats first eats. I mean, do they go for the organs or muscle meat? Wouldnt the dogs lower down in the pack have to survive on whatever the other dogs left?

Very interesting. I would love to learn more.

That makes sense.

I have read that wild dogs dont often eat stomach contents but they will if they are desperate for food.

i think what nature intended is best, if only it was convienient i would feed my dogs this way, fur feather scale and all.

Yes, that would be the best way to feed but a bit hard dragging home whole beasts to feed them :mad .

I wonder, in the wild, what the dog who eats first eats. I mean, do they go for the organs or muscle meat? Wouldnt the dogs lower down in the pack have to survive on whatever the other dogs left?

Very interesting. I would love to learn more.

It even has a new fandangled 21st century term / The Prey-model diet :rofl: or simply Prey diet.

Edited by s~M~s

I use the vegie base as Darcy's a very good doer, unfortunately tends towards the labrador in that department rather than the kelpie. :mad I use them to bulk up her diet, plus add some nutrients in a low calorie form so I can ensure she's getting what she needs.

what do u mean the vegie base?

how much of a dogs diet should be made up of veges?

Edited by ncarter

Ncarter - meaning I feed mostly vegies as a base of her diet, then add some protein and a few supplements to it. :thumbsup:

Most people probably wouldn't feed their dogs as much vegies/fruit as I do, I feed about 1 to 1.5 cups of vegie/fruit mush a day to fill her up and make sure she's staying a healthy but lean weight for an agility dog. :rolleyes:

I started off using a food processor but recently switched to a juicer - its so much quicker!.

I freeze about a months worth in the take away like containers that you can buy from the supermarket in lots of about 4 or 5, and defrost them as I need them.

I've recently started my dogs on a barf type - i have tried barf with vegies before...and the dogs did badly (not saying barf with vegies is bad etc just not suited to my GSD's) now i'm trying it with just meaty bones with organ meats when i remember and the odd bit of left overs. So far the dogs are looking nice, i'm not having to feed them 2 or 3 times the recommended amount (as i did with on barf with vegies) and they seem to be happy - will see how things go from here on in.

I found a great website about feeding raw meaty bones with little to no vegies...and it was very interesting...it's an Aussie site but do you think i can find it at the moment?? That will teach me to find it at work and not send the link home :thumbsup:

Well I was told not to feed cooked vegies on a previous thread because wild dogs do not know how to cook.

But of course they can use a food processor to mush them up.

Dogfish

Well i can tell you know little to nothing about the BARF diet.

The vegie mush is fed to the dogs to replicate the stomach contents of the prey they are eating which of course is mushed up greens. One of the few ways to replicate this, as dogs cant digest whole vegetable parts, is to use a juicer or processor.