Barf Recipes

i want to try making barf patties using a food processor. I dont have time to read any books. Could someone please help me. I know a few DOLers make their own barf. I would like to know the ingredients you use and a basic method you follow.

any help much appreciated

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

1 small container of yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Optional: Any nutritional supplement as per directions eg. Missing Link, Green Pet

Method

1. Add yogurt, flax seed oil and supplement to a large container (I use a 20 litre bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well .

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

5. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix. I add one or two eggs to the thawed mix, blend them through and feed.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

thanks poodlefan i dont have a juicer do ya reckon i need one. only have a blender and food processor.

how important are vegs in the diet? i thought they were important but some people dont feed any.

thanks poodlefan i dont have a juicer do ya reckon i need one. only have a blender and food processor.

how important are vegs in the diet? i thought they were important but some people dont feed any.

Lots of people make their veggie mix using a blender only. A juicer just makes it easier.

The importance of veggies is debated. Given that I only feed the BARF mix one meal in three (the other two are RMBs), I find it very useful to keep the dogs 'regular' as one does less well if fed more bone.

I don't see the point of feeding meat off the bone unless it's with veggies.

You will have HEAPS of juice leftover, dont mix it all together though unless you want to feed your dog a smoothie :thumbsup:

Mix enough to get sloppy mixture.

Ive only just started BARF but i use pretty much any vegies and fruit (stones/pips removed) juiced. The i feed that either with or without mince (which is human grade beef), every couple of days, adding yoghurt and sardines. Plus i add the oils, yeast and powders.

Every morning and every other night meal is bones. Mainly chicken frames/necks.

I am adding things as i go along as well as not every mixture will suit every dog.

Edited by tollersowned

sorry i didnt think u fed meat off the bone with veggies :rofl:

do you feed kibble as well?

cheers

No, no kibble at all. If you are feeding kibble, it's not a BARF diet.. more of a 'hybrid'.

I feed mince and offal with the veggies for palatability and convenience. The only other meat my dogs get is RMBs.

I use a food processer

2 kg chicken/ lamb blend put in bucket/ bowl

1kg veg

2-4 eggs with shells

1 cup brown rice well cooked

1 cup oats cooked ( sometimes)

100 mils flax seed oil

a little salt or a tablespoon of vegimite

blend till some what smooth

mix all together and freeze or if only making a little put in fridge I add a muti vitamin suppliment

I have been replacing half meat with chicken frame ( my dog cant have whole bone's its a long story )but cut them up small blend till smooth and pulse a little at a time or your processer will blow up and if using frames only make a little at a time as it goes off

Edited by Falling_dawn

I cut them up into big chuncks. As you blend it its really what your food proccesser can take

flax seed oil is for a shiny coat I had bought mine from a health food shop but I noticed that from a pet food place often has it alot cheaper about 20$ for 700 mils at the Mega pet wherehouse

I have used 1/2 flax seed oil and 1/2 olive oil if im running out or money is a bit tight

some people use fish oil for omega 3 I give my dog oily fish once a week for that

thanks i notice people often use sardines, raw egg and yoghurt in their diet. I dont think my dog would eat raw egg on its own, do u mash it up with the sardines or something else?

My dogs LOVE raw egg! If I have to beat one for a recipe, they scramble to lick out the bowl.

ETA: I put it in or on their veggie mix.

Edited by poodlefan

thanks poodle fan. I was also wondering if u fed ACV together with yoghurt say, because the ACV is acidic can it interfere with the live culture in the yoghurt?

off topic but where can i find pics of ur poodles on here? i love poodles. u have mini's dont u?

Because I can't be bothered making a large batch of very messy smelly mince/veggie mix my dog gets either some veggie slop or raw meaty bones. I just blend up a variety of veggies (usually sweet potato/pumpkin, some fruit and some greens) and freeze it in small portions. I feed sardines and raw egg with the thawed veggie mix to make it taste better!

• 6 months later...

have been reading about the BARF and variations...

My questions is: :)Is the variations and other recipes mentioned okay for an OBESE doggie? :laugh: My 9yo Sally girl (Cairn terrier x pekingese) has just had an operation today to fix her cruciate ligament....

Vet said that the weight HAD to come off...

We have been reducing her intake anyway (kibble and raw meat) - but yes - I now know it is time to go the all natural way and do the right thing by her (and my little Cav)

Thanks in advance everyone

~~Debbie~~~

Have you read any of Dr Billinghursts books on the BARF diet? If not, I would recommend Give your dog a bone.

My dog is a fatty too, not too bad but he still has to lose some weight. He has been on BARF for a few months now and is looking great. I haven't weighed him recently, but his waist is better defined and his ribs are less buried behind fat :)

In the BARF mix, avoid potatoes and other starchy root vegetables. Avoid fruit too. The best meat for weight loss is kangaroo (but make sure it contains no preservatives).

Obese dogs can be fed as little as 1.5% of their ideal weight. So work out Sally's ideal weight (has your vet given you an idea?), and multiply that by 0.015. The result is how much BARF Sally should get daily.

Hope this helps!

Have you read any of Dr Billinghursts books on the BARF diet? If not, I would recommend Give your dog a bone.

My dog is a fatty too, not too bad but he still has to lose some weight. He has been on BARF for a few months now and is looking great. I haven't weighed him recently, but his waist is better defined and his ribs are less buried behind fat :thumbsup:

In the BARF mix, avoid potatoes and other starchy root vegetables. Avoid fruit too. The best meat for weight loss is kangaroo (but make sure it contains no preservatives).

Obese dogs can be fed as little as 1.5% of their ideal weight. So work out Sally's ideal weight (has your vet given you an idea?), and multiply that by 0.015. The result is how much BARF Sally should get daily.

Hope this helps!

Oh thanks you heaps for your replies - much much appreciated. Sally has ALWAYS been rather rotund......

No, the Vet didn't give an idea of how much weight she needs to lose but I do have to take her back on Saturday for him to check the wound etc. OMG she seems to have a cut from her little ankle right up to the top of her thigh!! All hidden of course under bandages....She hasn't moved much but I guess that is normal after such a big operation and loads of pankillers etc.

I will ask Vet on Saturday to calculate her ideal weight. :rofl:

I have more of an idea what do do now - again, thanks. I was just wondering about the quantity but I guess I will work that out eventually

``Debbie~~