Has Anyone Fed Their Dogs Fish Heads?

While we were out shopping, we saw some Salmon heads for sale in Coles. They were quite cheap. I nearly bought some for our dogs for a change but wasn't sure whether they were okay for them with the fine bones.

I gave them fish heads once. They didn't know what to do with it :thumbsup: and dragged it around the yard for ages. Really the only thing accomplished was that the yard smelled like fish :thumbsup: So I haven't tried again!

Guest Pandii

I have fed my dogs WHOLE fish straight out of the river as we caught them and they go mad and love them

I've had dogs that would eat raw fish and those that would not. Ditto cats.

Forgive my ignorance but how do they go with the fish bones? my dogs love sardines, but I would be cautious of giving raw fish with bones. Unless you guys say you have tried it of course :D

I given them whole raw and also the heads etc when we've been fishing. As said above some like it some don't and some develop quite a taste for it.

I've not had any trouble with the dogs managing the bones.

Bridgiecat - that is so funny.

Anyway, I have heard fish is very good to feed dogs. Let us know if they eat them or turn their nose up at it

Edited by helen

Guest Clover

I have bought my guys fresh raw sardines a couple of times, the Borders were not impressed but Clover gave in, in the end and ate them :). She did not look like she enjoyed them that much but is a piggy so will give everything a go atleast once :rofl:.

I think the concern with fish is about long bones being sharp and possibly perforating stomach or gut. Heads should not have that problem because the bones are plate-like rather than needle like. So I think it comes down to whether or not your dogs like them. Being a Norwegian breed, they ought to :)

(I feed whole raw mullies [little bait fish] to labbies and huskies -- they love them).