Vaccination Costs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with all topics, everyone has a different point of view. It doesn't help to insult people or imply that they do not have their dog's best interests at heart because they vaccinate! :rofl: unbelievable!! Souff will be getting out the popcorn next and waiting for the fur to fly...until 'time-outs' are given and peace reigns for a while.

Our dogs are vaccinated annually. To date, they have lived up tp 18 and 22 years... BTW, when we were poorer they also ate canned food :thumbsup: which some on here would regard as akin to murder, judging by past threads.

We will have to agree to differ until all the votes are in and the research is conclusive, barring the inevitable conspiracy theories about that, of course :rofl: .

We will have to agree to differ until all the votes are in and the research is conclusive, barring the inevitable conspiracy theories about that, of course :thumbsup: .

OK So where is the research and proof that dogs MUST be vaccinated annually?

How many times have you heard of a dog getting Parvo or KC but they are vaccinated yearly? Wouldnt that mean that it isnt working?

If you have a look at overseas information, there is alot more vets recommending to not vaccinate yearly (or after the first booster) unfortunately our vets are still far behind with what is best for our dogs.

Yes your dogs may live long lives and be healthy but what about the ones that dont? Why must we vaccinate dogs we know are going to have side effects because everyone else thinks its alright?

If your dog does well being vaccinated and fed canned food so be it, and no one should say anything rude about that but if some decide not to vaccinate and raw feed then they also shouldnt be seen as uncaring.

Yes your dogs may live long lives and be healthy but what about the ones that dont? Why must we vaccinate dogs we know are going to have side effects because everyone else thinks its alright?

If your dog does well being vaccinated and fed canned food so be it, and no one should say anything rude about that but if some decide not to vaccinate and raw feed then they also shouldnt be seen as uncaring.

Agree wholeheartedly Tollersowned. Guess that most people rely on advice from their health professionals, vets etc and feel they are doing the right thing. It's a very complex world we live in. Everyone here tries to do their best.

Please do not waste my time, I am not interested in your dogs slipped disc, it is probably from poor breeding/construction :p , I only mean to inform those who are Vet brain washed & actually care about their animals, to search for themselves & understand what they are doing, if you feel your own dogs health is not compromised, then knock yourself out just keep jabbing them............BTW the vaccination that is given 3 yearly is no revelation, it is the "compromise" vaccine from the Drug company to shut everyone up from sueing them for false advertising from all these years of insisting of uneccessary Yearly vaccinating, the 3 yearly vaccine is EXACTLY what you have always given your dogs annually!!!!!!!! There is no rocket science in what your new Vet has told you...........Do some reading, it is all there for you, your Vet is no expert in immunology they are a sheep following what drug companies tell them they must do for insurance reasons..........

Wow, there's a number of sweeping generalisations and very wrong assumptions in your post. :cry:

My greyhound has a slipped disc because she hurt it running...it's what greyhounds do. :cool: She's very "well bred" and "well constructed" to use your terminology. But don't let the facts get in the way of your [mis]informed response. Please. :rofl:

Why do you believe I have been "brain washed" when firstly you don't know me, and secondly I'm not advocating annual vaccinations at all? I am in favour of people conducting their own research rather than just taking someone's word for something or looking at 'research' that's little more than propaganda for the anti-campaign whatever the topic. I am fully aware that the 'annual' vaccine is and has been, effective for three years or thereabouts as far as veterinary science can ascertain, and I've known this for a number of years. It's very difficult, however, to find a vet that firstly supports the reduction of vaccination and secondly to find kennels that will board a dog that hasn't been vaccinated within the previous 12 months.

How do you explain, for example, the dog that has received an annual vaccination approximately one year previously and has a poor titre test result, such as the antibodies for distemper being below effective levels to protect the dog from the disease? Would you prefer to risk the vaccination, or risk the disease? :eek: I'd rather risk the vaccination but that's MY choice for MY dogs' care. Less informed people reading this forum may just go away believing (from what you've posted) that vaccination is killing their dog/s when that isn't necessarily correct. Would you feel OK if someone believed what you've posted, failed to vaccinate their dog again, and it died of a vaccine-preventible disease? :cry:

I have done a mountain of reading on BOTH sides of this so-called debate. I've also consulted a number of vets with a variety of beliefs and opinions. And I've spoken with breeders, kennel operators and animal welfare workers too, about the perils of over-vaccination and over-medication of our pets. I've also listened to what experienced and knowledgeable experts have to say and have questioned them about why they hold their beliefs and opinions whether I agree with them or not. I use both a western veterinarian and a herbalist and have also used a naturopath, in the treatment and maintenance of my dogs' health and well-being.

I'd thank you for not jumping to conclusions about my dogs' health and I'd thank you for not making assumptions. However I am not able to do that b/c you've sadly made incorrect assumptions AND drawn incorrect conclusions. Well done! :cry:

Please do not waste my time, I am not interested in your dogs slipped disc, it is probably from poor breeding/construction :eek: , I only mean to inform those who are Vet brain washed & actually care about their animals, to search for themselves & understand what they are doing, if you feel your own dogs health is not compromised, then knock yourself out just keep jabbing them

My God, you are unbelievably rude :cool: If you don't want to waste your time then don't read the replies. Who do you think gives a rats what you are or are not interested in? Maybe you could waste some more time and learn some manners.

This forum is a discussion forum for all members. We learn and share information with eachother. You surely don't think you're the first person to come on here and discuss vaccinations or that each and every one of us is hanging out only for your opinion?

Cavandra, Your post is very offensive."I am not interested in your dogs slipped disc" that is distasteful at it's best.

Grow up and find your manners!

I am very sorry that you find it so distateful & offensive that I replied to someone who I personally found distasteful & Offensive in suggesting that all relayed FACTS from the world experts in the field are all ridiculous , by saying her dogs slipped disc must be caused by vaccination according to my posts......I do not appreciate teh sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!......I most certainly do not find Lilysmum comments acceptable whatsoever, and have since seen how well read she is in all forms of Vaccinating, I do hope that she will forward all her FACTS from the annual vaccinating view point that contradicts the immunology experts that say it is HARMFUL..............

im a believer too in overkill...i wasnt aware that it was harmful though!!!

My first dog i had all her shots for the first year inc Kennel cough...

she is now 15 still kickin..no dramas. I recently rescued a dog that had Kennel Cough,I was worried my bitch would get it too,but my logic told me,same as u immunise ur kids in thier formative years,u dnt keep on doin it. So i guessed my old grl wld be ok.

We had no dramas ...she never caught a thing from my rescue.

So if it werent for training classes,i reckon after the first year i wouldnt bother...

Please do not waste my time, I am not interested in your dogs slipped disc, it is probably from poor breeding/construction :eek: , I only mean to inform those who are Vet brain washed & actually care about their animals, to search for themselves & understand what they are doing, if you feel your own dogs health is not compromised, then knock yourself out just keep jabbing them

My God, you are unbelievably rude :cool: If you don't want to waste your time then don't read the replies. Who do you think gives a rats what you are or are not interested in? Maybe you could waste some more time and learn some manners.

This forum is a discussion forum for all members. We learn and share information with eachother. You surely don't think you're the first person to come on here and discuss vaccinations or that each and every one of us is hanging out only for your opinion?

How rude YOU are!!!!!!!

I have every right to respond to a person who has insulted me.............I am ONLY relaying the FACTS from the experts & opening the eyes of those who are brain washed by all who act on Vets "Yearly reminder" notices........I am yet to hear how any Australian annual vaccinating Vet etc, can justify their actions.........lilysmum is to provide it as she has read all about it from all sides of the argumement. So I am waiting for all those websites to be relayed!

I can not blame Vets following drug companys protocols,they have a massive income from it & it is legit, just not eithical! (where is their proof it is necessary?)..........please provide the scientific proof that Australia is not applicable to he rest of the world! Lilysmum is always in every thread on vaccinating on DOL & always says the results are inconclusive, or some other blase comment.....she now says she has read from every avenue, so am awaiting the posts re annual vaccinating thing, as to my knowledge there is none................We now wait for Lilysmum to provide links to all the knowledgeable sites that are PRO annuals..............

im a believer too in overkill...i wasnt aware that it was harmful though!!!

My first dog i had all her shots for the first year inc Kennel cough...

she is now 15 still kickin..no dramas. I recently rescued a dog that had Kennel Cough,I was worried my bitch would get it too,but my logic told me,same as u immunise ur kids in thier formative years,u dnt keep on doin it. So i guessed my old grl wld be ok.

We had no dramas ...she never caught a thing from my rescue.

So if it werent for training classes,i reckon after the first year i wouldnt bother...

When you think of 15 years of $$$$$ unnnecessarily vaccinating, it does your head in! Kennel cough is just a cough..........it is treated with human cough mixture! Some Vets say it is also a physical exam.But IMO they dont bother checking anything other than temperature!!!!!!!!!!

Cavandra I didn't see Lillysmum personally insult you at all. As far as I can see she merely disagreed with you. I certainly saw you being extremely rude and bad mannered. She is as entitled to her opinion as you are entitled to yours.

I do not vaccinate my dogs every year. They are vaccinated at 3+ year intervals which is against the advice of my vet so you are preaching to the converted with me. I therefore have no need to supply you with the scientific proof you are demanding in your reply to me.

We are charged $65 for a C5. It seems that this is middle of the range from what I have been reading. I'm quite happy to pay for it though - as our vet is brilliant with our Rottweiler, and I would like to stay with him.

Static actually likes going to the vet, as they all know him - and the vet always gives him a thorough going over - eyes, ears, joints, temperature etc.

And I personally will always keep him vaccinated yearly.

I believe that there are more risks not getting them, than the vaccinations themselves being harmful.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion :cool:

Cavandra I didn't see Lillysmum personally insult you at all. As far as I can see she merely disagreed with you. I certainly saw you being extremely rude and bad mannered. She is as entitled to her opinion as you are entitled to yours.

I do not vaccinate my dogs every year. They are vaccinated at 3+ year intervals which is against the advice of my vet so you are preaching to the converted with me. I therefore have no need to supply you with the scientific proof you are demanding in your reply to me.

Oh, but disagreeing with this opinion purported as fact by cavandra just isn't acceptable. This member clearly believes that they are right and everyone that doesn't agree with their [as yet unproven] opinion is wrong, and not only that, but all the people that disagree with this person are stupid and insulting. :rolleyes: Oh, and are wasting her time. :laugh:

I've tried to convey (perhaps with too much subtelty?) how I feel about using a range of methods in managing my dogs' needs in order to illustrate my points regarding the topic of vaccinations for canines. But I don't see why a person should not disagree with what many would see as an extreme point-of-view and something that may cause a less knowledgeable dog owner to stop vaccinating their own dog, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Unfortunately, there will always be a few people that represent extreme POV's for whatever reason. I'd rather be countering those opinions somewhat than allowing them to stand uncontested. This is still a public discussion forum which means that healthy discussion includes varying POV's rather than a homogenous, perhaps herd-like, mentality.

Everyone must make an informed choice about whether to vaccinate their dog, and if they choose to vaccinate, at what intervals and for which diseases. This is IMO best done in conjunction with your vet, in conjunction with conducting some independent research if the owner believes this to be necessary, and in weighing up the risks versus benefits to your own dog whatever path you decide to follow.

Cavandra, I'm not going to "post links" as you rather rudely demanded. It's difficult to post links when I was primarily referring to actual discussions I have entered into with veterinary professionals (eight or nine veterinarians, two herbalists and one naturopath to be precise), and some reading of texts discussing natural pet care including the arguments against vaccination. The internet is a medium that IMO cannot always be 'trusted' to provide well-qualified and researched information about such a complex topic as canine vaccination. There is some reasonable quality information around, but in order to find it, the reader must wade through a raft of inaccuracies, lies and downright dangerous material. :laugh:

Our two cattle dog pups are having their puppy vaccinations- and will be doing obedience etc so will probably do what is necessary to comply with club/competion- if it gets to that...

On the other hand- My dad has a very healthy and happy 14 yr old maltese- who has only ever had his puppy vaccinations.

Like anything with a scientific or ethical debate involved- there will always be two distinct sides. Its always good to have alternatives to consider....

Personally- I think it should be a personal choice made after consideration of the facts on both sides. There is always the chance of an unvaccinated dog never getting ill- just as much as there is the risk of an immunised dog getting sick from, or getting the condition immunised against- it happens in us humans too!

C3 cost $35 at my vet adn he will take whatever time is needed for check up of dog and answering any questions

Finding vets that titre test is quite difficult I have yet to ask my vet but rang him this morning and left a message so he will most likely get back to me this evening I certainly think titre testing is the better way to go

My dogs have been jabbed annually for years, until about 18 months ago. I started doing research on the vaccs and the ingredients, bought a few Veterinary Manuals (that the vets use) and looked into it.

I now job 3 yearly. I know most people I speak to also jab 3 yearly, and even though most of these people show their dogs, the showing fraternity is more or less of the same opinion, so vaccination card checks have been overlooked of late (even at Crufts)

The reason I was first alerted was when I knew of several people that vaccd annually and their dogs had began having fits almost immediately afterwards or within a few days. I looked into this more and found some interesting information regarding the overdosing of meds.

My older dog also contracted KC, when by all accounts he should have never had it, having been vcc every year :whiteflag:

Some vets here agree with it, some don't and still insist on yearly.

Having said that, since the 3 yearly jabs have been introduced, we have had 3 Parvo outbreaks in the UK in the last 6 months, so it depends on what you see as priority.

With the risk of Parvo on the doorstep, I'm tempted to go and vaccinate again, just to be on the safe side even thought I don't agree with overdosing on medication !

Parvo or Epilepsy = tough decision but I know I would choose :o