My Puppy Has A Really Stiff Neck

Bokezu

We went to bed about two hours ago and Lola seemed fine, her and my older boy had been running around playing quite rough. She was sleeping on the bottom of the bed and I heard her wimpering a few times before I woke up properly. I had a look and she was holding her head up like her neck is really stiff. I felt all around her neck etc. but she really cried when I tried to bend her head down. She got off the bed all right and walks ok so I took her out to the toilet, she is walking fine but holding the head right up. Took her back to bed but she wouldn't put her head down, she did rest her head over to the side after a while but she is in pain. I don't know if she has hurt her neck playing or if its something more sinister as in meningitis, or now I'm thinking tetanus, I'm going to google that right now. I am so worried, I will take her to the vet as soon as they open but has anyone any idea what this could be?

try doing some very very gentle massaging of the area and put a warm face washer on the area. she might have woken with a stiff neck like humans do sometimes.

if she wimpers when you massage it, leave her be and see how she is in the morning.

Thanks shmoo, I can't find anything on google apart from some sort of meningitis. I will give her a gentle massage, but the thing is she looks so in pain its awful to see her like that, her little head way up in the air and her face really grimaced in pain

I am back from vet, who said she must have hurt it playing. She has had a shot of valium, a shot of anti-inflammatory and is very dopey but still trying to stay awake and holding the head right up pointing the nose in the air, she looks so funny. I am soooooo relieved, I was so worried. I can call the vet anytime if I am worried or take her back tommorrow if she is no better.

I am back from vet, who said she must have hurt it playing. She has had a shot of valium, a shot of anti-inflammatory and is very dopey but still trying to stay awake and holding the head right up pointing the nose in the air, she looks so funny. I am soooooo relieved, I was so worried. I can call the vet anytime if I am worried or take her back tommorrow if she is no better.

Hi there

What breed is your puppy?

If I was in your shoes I would be organising a visit to a bowen therapist or chiro asap. You need her neck looked at thoroughly. Anti-inflam shot may reduce swelling but there could be something out of alignment. She sounds like there is something not right if she is still holding her head up after an anti-inflam shot. I wouldnt take the chance personally.

If I was in your shoes I would be organising a visit to a bowen therapist or chiro asap.

Ditto. Even though you might see some outward improvement, the condition itself can continue to exist. The earlier it is fixed (assuming something is out of alignment) the better the chance that it will 'stay' fixed and require no further (or at least, less) visits/treatment.

Hi there, sorry I have not been on line today. Lola slept most of yesterday, got up a couple of times to toilet and ate quite well she was able to move her neck a little. She slept all night and when she woke up started moving her neck without any problems. I have kept a close eye on her all day, and she is back to normal, I have had to stop her running and playing as much as she would have liked. I have watched her walking and running through out the day and she has no signs at all that there is anything at all wrong with her movement. I will continue to watch her carefully over the next few days, but at the moment she is her normal perky self. So thankful that everything is ok, I was so scared that it was something major phew.....

Hi Hazz, what is the difference between a Bowen and Chiro?

Bowen works with bodies soft tissues using very gentle specific movements to help reset and rebalance the body (including the skeletal system). Chiro works with the skeletal system and tends to need a little more force/speed for the moves and can provide relief to the muscles as well.

Sometimes there are things that need to be dealt with chiro to fix, but i personally find that bowen helps with a lot more situations and more deeply.

Hi Hazz, what is the difference between a Bowen and Chiro?

Bowen works with bodies soft tissues using very gentle specific movements to help reset and rebalance the body (including the skeletal system). Chiro works with the skeletal system and tends to need a little more force/speed for the moves and can provide relief to the muscles as well.

Sometimes there are things that need to be dealt with chiro to fix, but i personally find that bowen helps with a lot more situations and more deeply.

:thumbsup: