Raised Feeders?

Dimity

I am wondering if anyone knows much about raised feeders?

Jasper has a really hard time getting down to his bowl because of his hip dysplasia its really hard watching him eat because you can see how uncomfortable he is. I asked the vet and they suggested getting a raised feeder for him.

I have done a little bit of research and there is so many conflicting ideas on if they are good or not for large dogs. One said its a bad idea because they can suck in too much air which can cause bloat or stomach torsion. another said it was a good idea because it cuts down on air and helps prevent bloat and torsion. very confusing.

He is a perfect candidate for bloat or torsion because he gets alot of gas all the time from both ends. I often have to give him de-gas to help his stomach calm down and to release the gas. We know its not his food because we have been to the vet about it and he stayed in for observation to have it checked out and we have tried all kinds of food none of which make any difference hes just a gassy dog. (fits right into the family really :confused: ). So if a raised feeder is going to make it worse I would like to know.

So whats your take on them? Are they any good? Do they increase the risk of bloat or stomach torsion

Thanks in advance

Dimity

Hi Dimity I have three danes and I use a chair to put their bowls on so that they are at shoulder level when eating it is what I was told to do with the danes as they can have the same problem.

as for wether it reduces the changes I cant say as we have been told that it manly happens if they run around heeps before or after drinking and sometimes eating.

also with the raised bowls it helps the dogs swollow their food abit better as sometimes when they eat from ground level they get some food stuck in the back of the jowls and that can cuase them to choke.

thats what ive been told and ive never had any problems with the raised bowls.

hope that helps

Hi Dimity I have three danes and I use a chair to put their bowls on so that they are at shoulder level when eating it is what I was told to do with the danes as they can have the same problem.

as for wether it reduces the changes I cant say as we have been told that it manly happens if they run around heeps before or after drinking and sometimes eating.

also with the raised bowls it helps the dogs swollow their food abit better as sometimes when they eat from ground level they get some food stuck in the back of the jowls and that can cuase them to choke.

thats what ive been told and ive never had any problems with the raised bowls.

hope that helps

Thanks heaps it helps alot. Jasper is always getting food caught in his jowls he has only choked once but the mess he leaves trying to get it all out is enough to make you want to scream some days, especially when you find deposits of mushy dog food in the most unusual places around the house :confused:

I really didn't understand how they could cause bloat or torsion but i figured it was best to ask people who have alot more knowledge than me. I know about the running around alot after eating can cause it I dont really have much trouble with that because unless i kick his butt outside and make him play he would quite happily never run, walk or in general move hes so lazy.

I didn't think the vet would suggest it unless it was a good idea

Thanks again

Dimity

There are lots of factors involved in bloat/ gastric torsion and the causes aren't well understood. It affects my breed too (standard poodles have deep chests). I think all you can do is take the current advice and seek vet attention immediately if there are any signs of it.

More info. here. The study isn't specific to poodles http://www.poodlesinaustralia.com/health/health18.html

We have some of the Jr Store n Feeds Found on this website if you're looking for a raised diner? PM Me if interested - we bought 3 from the US, and have just never advertised them for sale as yet:) PM me if interested?

-WithEverythingIAm

I went and had a look and they look great. Unfortunately even though i am interested i cant get the Jr Store and feed, the bowls are to small for him he would need much larger bowls to hold his food and water.

this is the one i found last night(he would need the 4L bowls) http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.ph...t=380&page=1 but i think i will hunt around the the larger Store n Feed and see if i can find them in Australia they seem much more stable than the one i found last night.

Thanks

Dimity

I use raised feeders.

Some people use chairs, others pot plant holders, milk crates anything so it's at the right level.

I use these http://www.geocities.com/kenolenterprises/feedingstands.html

ETA with the milk crates you use two.

One the normal way, one upside down. The udpside down one you cut a hole for the bowl to sit in.

Edited by SwaY

With greyhound's, you either do or don't. Jury is out. I find mine often put their lamb flaps etc on a higher surface themselves, things like their dog beds. Then of course they sometimes get on the dog bed as well. When I do feed dry food I just put their bowl on the ground.

Faith Rottweiler has the same problem with HD and arthritic shoulders. Bending down for her causes pain so I raised her food bowl, in fact both Rottweilers have raised bowls for their food.

I just bought a couple of those little box step thingys from Safeway. They are 17cm high and it raises the bowl just high enough for Faith to eat in comfort.

They drink from stainless steel buckets so I need to ensure I keep the water level high in the buckets so Faith can drink without having to bend down too far.

"Jasper has a really hard time getting down to his bowl because of his hip dysplasia its really hard watching him eat because you can see how uncomfortable he is."

That would decide it for me. I would raise it up to a comfortable height for him. If it is dry food and he scoffs it now it is comfortable to eat, just fill the bowl up with water over the kibble - he has to drink to eat the food, which will slow him down.

I've always fed our greys on chairs inside, and they have their breakfast outside with their bowls on a step, and they stand on the ground - the step isnt as high as the chair, but i have been planning to get my partner to make up some nice wooden raised feeders for the houndies.

Edited by Peachie

I don't like and don't as a rule use raised feeders BUT for a dog that is having a hard time (and won't/can't lie down to eat) I have used them. In those cases the benefit IMO has outweighed the risk. The little plastic step stools are great for this. They are high enough to give some relief while being low enough that the dog still has to drop his head to eat.

Edited by espinay2