Potentially Dumb Question

I've got a foster who continually limps on his left hind leg. Sometimes it looks like his knee is the problem and I go "aha, cruciate', and other times it really appears to be a hip problem.

Is there an easy quick way to tell if it is one or the other? I have had a (gentle) feel but can't really tell

And yes, he's going to the vet :rofl:

same prob with my rescue.

If ur fostering,the shelter that homes him will pay for the vet.

get an xray done.

We thought ours had something in his foot...found he has 6 places in his pelvis that r broken.Vet cant believe the guy can walk at all.

We will be happy with the limp from now on!!...

Don't think it's a luxating patella (from the description I've read of sympoms anyway). He's a 4yr old Belgian Shepherd.

When he first gets up he can bear a small amount of weight on it, but the knee appears to 'pop' out, and after a very short time he can't put any weight on it. His left leg doesn't feel any different to his right (no obvious protrusions etc). He goes throughout the day from putting slight pressure on it to not using it all, to back to slight use to not using it.

To add to this however, his hip looks like it could be displaced. Again, it doesn't feel any different to the other side, and I just don't know whether it's just a knee problem, or whether it's a hip thing which is manifesting through the knee coz it's a smaller joint (if that makes sense).

He's very stoical, and has never yelped or whimpered by either putting weight on it, or by me giving it a bit of a poke and a prod !

Just thought someone might have an idea before he gets to the vet. Thanks for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got a foster who continually limps on his left hind leg. Sometimes it looks like his knee is the problem and I go "aha, cruciate', and other times it really appears to be a hip problem.

Is there an easy quick way to tell if it is one or the other? I have had a (gentle) feel but can't really tell

And yes, he's going to the vet :banghead:

Check out the small fibula bone at the head of it, in from the knee when you bend it, very common Garry