Rip Blue Heeler Boy

kenDOL

Driving home early this evening, I noticed a group of people standing on the roadside and a man on the road leaning over something. Realising it was a dog, I stopped and ran back.

The man had been walking his dog on leash on the other side of the road when the blue heeler apparently raced across the road towards them. While the man said the car that hit the dog had no chance of avoiding him, it didn't stop either. He advised that someone had rung the police and the RSPCA.

The dog was in a bad way, unconscious but still shallow breathing, and the man was trying to protect it from oncoming traffic but didn't want to move it for fear of causing further injury. As it was virtually dark in peak hour traffic and I wasn't confident the police or RSPCA would get there in time, I suggested we use his sweatshirt as a stretcher.

Just as we got the dog in my car, the police arrived. One looked at the dog on the back seat and asked what I was doing while the other shone his torch on my number plate. I explained the dog was in critical condition and I intended taking it to my vet. They seemed unsure so I suggested they could follow me to the vet if they wished. They declined and I drove the 10 minutes to the vet.

Sadly, the dog didn't make it. The vet was great, scanned him and made a note of the microchip and said he'd contact the register to see if they could notify the owners.

I rang the man to let him know the outcome and that I'd return his sweatshirt tomorrow. He wasn't surprised but said he didn't have the heart to leave him there while he was still breathing.

While I dont believe I did the wrong thing, the police's reaction unnerved me. Is there a protocol I should have followed, ie should the dog have been left on the road until the police arrived?

I'm not sure on the protocol, kenDOL, except that the driver who hit the dog should have stopped to render assistance. Otherwise I would have done just as you did. Sorry the dog didn't make it, but good on you for stopping and helping out. :provoke:

I believe that you did the right thing. Perhaps the cops initial reaction might have been that in the confusing they thought that you might have hit the dog.

Hopefully Karma gets the driver who didn't stop. :laugh: to the other guy who stopped as well.