Worms, Parasite, Ticks - Regional Info

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knows where to get info regarding the regional differences in dog parasites, worms, ticks etc. What you are at risk from in various areas.

I am planning to speak to my vet in the next month or so (checkup time) so I will definitely ask them, but I was curious if anyone out there had any info. I am trying to figure out what is best for my dogs, maybe certain worming products for certain parasites are unecessary for them and may do more harm then good.

Thanks,

Em.

Emmala, think you are in S.E.QLD?.

In which case you need to treat for heartworm, we use Sentinel Spectrum, which also covers other worms, on a monthly basis.

If you are in a paralysis tick area would suggest you look at Advantix, we use this monthly over the winter and fortnighly from now until about May, it alos covers you for fleas.

Both these products are available from http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/

Thanks Hesa. :eek:

That info is good, I'll look into those different products.

At the moment we are using Advantage, the monthly one - ticks, fleas and worms (except hydatid tapeworm (sp?)). I am just concerned, having read a lot about it recently, about over doing the whole worming/flea/tick thing.\

ETA - sorry it's not Advantage I use, it's Advocate. :mad

Edited by Emmala

Thanks Hesa. :eek:

That info is good, I'll look into those different products.

At the moment we are using Advantage, the monthly one - ticks, fleas and worms (except hydatid tapeworm (sp?)). I am just concerned, having read a lot about it recently, about over doing the whole worming/flea/tick thing.\

ETA - sorry it's not Advantage I use, it's Advocate. :mad

I don't think Advocate covers for ticks.

You have to weigh up the risk of side effects vs. the risk of paralysis tick and heartworm (serious -->fatal).

IMO the risks of paralysis tick outweighs the other possible risks with these products. But I'm keeping an open mind.

Definitely PW, that's why I am seriously looking into what we actually have in this region... although being rather hot and humid up here, I am thinking we have it all.

Laffi, you are right, no ticks... I remember asking the vet about ticks and he said that if they didn't run in the bush/scrub, they weren't at any high risk. I check them daily when I groom them after play time. I might ring around and get a second opinion on that though. So it's Advantix for the paralysis ticks, Sentinel Spectrum for the heartworm, intestinal worms.

Emmala, not sure about running around in the scrub or not, my husband had one on his shoulder blades and that was from pruning back lower branches off a tree.

:D Well now I'm not so sure either, I think it is time to discuss this further with him or maybe get a second opinion... at the same time I asked him about this, we also discussed the hydatid tapeworm and he that unless they go out and catch lizard etc, then it is unlikely that they will get, but I still give them a three monthly hydatid tapeworm medication to be safe.

I'll look into Sentinel and the Advantix though. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather my dogs be treated and safe, then dead.