Best Treat For Puppies

mocha

Four legs food is great, same with Ziwipeak treats, VIP do some great training treats as well...Supa Natural chook liver or breast strips (dried chook breast) are also great. And you can also get dried tuna which is also cool...stinky tho! :D A lot of people use cheese, roast chook, left over meats, sausage, processed meat roll etc.

It does depend on if you want to use wet or dry food as treats...but you want something small enough that the dog doesn't have to sit stop and eat, but something tasty enough that they'll go wild and work for it :thumbsup:

my dog goes wild for devon when we train. i have no idea what it's made of as i'm too afraid to read the label :D

it's $3 for a kilo in the deli asile of the supermarket.

He only needs a tiny bit which is good because i'm sure the stuff is not healthy for him to eat lots of.

If you want to be able to reinforce rapidly, you need something soft so the dog doesn't have to stop and chew - that stops the rhythm of your training.

I like to use a mixture of small treats that I cut up - usually cheese (I use light tasty cheddar), some sort of meat - devon, strasbourg occasionally - but it's fatty and smelly, cabana, cold cooked sausages - you can use different varieties, nuked (cut up and microwaved on paper towel) skinless hot dogs, chicken loaf from the deli - get them to cut No.10 slices - it's 1cm thick - just right for cutting into treats. As long as you can cut them into pieces about 1cm cubed or a bit smaller, and the food doesn't crumble, it's fine. Liver cooked/dried till it's still soft, but able to be cut up into pieces is also super good.

You'll be guided by your dog to some extent - watch which ones the dog really likes, and they become your high value treats for hard exercises, or a really good reward. By using a variety, you'll hopefully be minimising the amount of salt, preservatives etc. - and unless you're training for hours a day :D the dog shouldn't come to any harm.

It's worth setting up some toys as motivators/rewards as well, so that you can mix up your training even more.

For training classes when I need something good I would use any of the following

cheese

cabonisi

bbq chook

dried liver etc works fine at home but at class I found that any of those above things seemed to work better.

Was looking at the price of prepackaged treats like schmackos today, and they work out to over $10 per kilo. My hubby wasn't impressed last time I bought some chook on special for my dogs, but when you work it out, it's just as cheap.

I picked up some chicken thigh for $7 something a kilo, a little bit of liver, a bit of cheese and some cocktail frankfurts and plan on making my own treats. It's cheaper, but a little more work, and my dog likes that a whole lot better than the prepackaged ones. Anybody tried drying chicken the way you do liver? I cooked it up last time and it was sticky and greasy, going to try dehydrating it this time.

Audrey

I mainly use cheese. My dogs work well for other food like cabanossi as well, but I prefer cheese because I spit food for heeling and prefer the taste :D and when the weather is warm I don't like the smell of warm cabanossi all over my hands, though cheese does melt in warm weather so I have to be careful.